Time for some market research

Time for some market research  

137 members have voted

1. 1. How does the recent vote for added brass instruments make YOU feel?

• I love it, and it makes me want to see a DCI Drum Corps now more than ever
    • I think I will like it, and that it may make me like the activity even more
    • It really doesn't have any effect on me at all
    • I think I won't like it, and that it may make me want to see DCI Drum Corps less than I do now
    • It makes me want to not even see a DCI corps anymore, now more than ever

Yeah, but you said "DCP ... apparently skews 56-26 against the all brass rule" meaning that the 82 votes there were the important ones.

But I also said in that post that the option receiving the largest number of results was the one that took a neutral stance.

Huh?

You wrote that "If you (i.e., N.E.B.) think that DCI cares at all about the opinions...", then conclusion X follows.

This implies that if I don't think that DCI cares, then conclusion X does not follow.

Again, it's just a bit of confusing writing and of secondary importance in this discussion.

As for the more important point: all I'm saying is that there is significant overlap between DCI's market and DCP's members. This poll may very well reflect the perception among DCI's market as a whole. Weak at this poll may be as a market survey, it's probably more thorough than any market research that DCI has done on the subject of the any-brass instrument rule.

You wrote that "If you (i.e., N.E.B.) think that DCI cares at all about the opinions...", then conclusion X follows.

This implies that if I don't think that DCI cares, then conclusion X does not follow.

I don't think it does imply that. In this situation where (1) "If X, then Y," and (2) "X is not true," it does not necessarily follow that Y is not true.

In other words, X is a sufficient condition, but not a necessary one for Y's truth.

Anyway... not important.

As for the more important point: all I'm saying is that there is significant overlap between DCI's market and DCP's members.

I vehemently disagree. My observation is that the paying DCI audience is (1) alumni, (2) parents/family of current members, and (3) band kids.

In my observation, most alumni (at least those of my "vintage" -- late 90s) couldn't care less that trombones are now legal.

Also, parents/family and band kids have never heard of DCP and are therefore underrepresented in your survey.

In my opinion, DCP has largely become an echo chamber for alumni from the 70s and 80s who are trying to hold on to the "good old days" of drum corps. There are occasionally some good discussions, but on the whole, the posters here tend to completely overestimate the weight of their opinions as measured against the direction of the activity in the whole.

Trombones? I guarantee that parents/families and band kids didn't even know that they weren't legal to start with, and have literally zero opinion about it now.

Also, just for fun... here's a pic of the Madison Scouts trombone section from this weekend's rehearsal:

Z0DXt5l.jpg

Also, parents/family and band kids have never heard of DCP and are therefore underrepresented in your survey.

In my opinion, DCP has largely become an echo chamber for alumni from the 70s and 80s who are trying to hold on to the "good old days" of drum corps. There are occasionally some good discussions, but on the whole, the posters here tend to completely overestimate the weight of their opinions as measured against the direction of the activity in the whole.

Trombones? I guarantee that parents/families and band kids didn't even know that they weren't legal to start with, and have literally zero opinion about it now.

Also, just for fun... here's a pic of the Madison Scouts trombone section from this weekend's rehearsal:

Z0DXt5l.jpg

IMO..it doesnt represent majority or even close for those decades either....nothing against anyone at all.....maybe a very small sampling or a place for some to vent ( either way )

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

In my observation, most alumni (at least those of my "vintage" -- late '90s) couldn't care less that trombones are now legal.

I guarantee that parents/families and band kids didn't even know that they weren't legal to start with, and have literally zero opinion about it now.

Given that of the five poll options from which DCP members were asked to choose, the one most selected is "It really doesn't have any effect on me at all", it would seem that the tastes of DCP's membership accord reasonably well with the reaction that you feel is likely to be prevalent across DCI's market.

Of course, 56+26+49=131, not 82. And there have been two more votes since I posted yesterday.

(To be fair, as per JohnZ's post on the previous page, seven of those votes must be discounted.)

First, regarding the passage that I bolded: do you realize that you've indicated that if I don't think DCI cares about a DCP poll, that DCI does care?

Second, and more importantly: I voted in this poll. And guess what? A little more than a week ago, DCI emailed me a survey! And I'm not the only DCP member who received that email. Granted, the survey was about a different subject, but clearly you're wrong about DCI not marketing to DCP users.

I got the survey too. Different topic, but I'm being marketed too by DCI. Nothing from DCA though... :wow: