It's really this simple folks

OK, O'll give it a shot, won't be the first or last time I get made fun of! Hope this is taken with the tongue in cheek intention it was written!

I know I get heated on here once in a while, but this preaching type posting stuff is getting to be really pathetic. The constant telling people what they should do and how they should feel on here is at best comical, and for some, well, scary!

Yes, we all want others to see our point of view, and we all feel that we know better than someone else what is intelligent and what is not. To me it is far less destructive to share your feelings on a drum corps forum than it is to tell somebody else how they should feel or what they should or shouldn't say, or how they should say it.

But the solution is really simple if you hate these posts so much:

Stop reading the forums

Stop posting in the threads

Stop participating

Just stop, just walk away. I tried to not come here for a while, and actually come on here a lot less than I used to. Eventually, no matter how much the posts of a select few bothered me, I came back.

Ya see folks, you can #### about what others say, you can #### about how they say it, you can #### that someone doesn't agree with your point of view, but you're still posting, so in the end, who wins? The DCP forums...the ones that just got another large viewing for a thread about this latest controversy filled with drama and hysteria.

Now do I think some posts are out of line? Yes. Do I think the forum could be so much better than it is now? Yes. Do I think the mods and designers in some cases have hurt themselves and the site? Yes

But I still post here, and as such, that's giving my tacit support to DCP, it's members, and it's mods to keep doing what they're doing.

When the day comes that there is only 5 people posting here, or the conversation is just so totally lame, I'll go. I have already cut down quite a bit, I'm ok with that, and apparently DCP is too, because not enough other people have done the same to a degree that it hurts them.

So if you hate the drama and negativity that is on here, just go. If enough people do that, then DCP will try to figure out what happened and try to fix it. Maybe they won't, but at least I won't have to log on here and be preached to about what I should do and how I should feel.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I've never seen a discussion board with so few people trying to control what is said and what is represented. And we wonder why those in the activity discourage people from posting their thoughts here. I'm not saying it has to be a love fest, but we've had passionate debates in this activity from the beginning, and that's far less destructive than just preaching and not caring about what anyone who is passionate about drum corps might think or say.

Flame away, I won't like it, but I will welcome the discussion.

:winky:

Edited by truman
  • Like 7

If you make fun of me, I'll tell your daughter!

She knows already

OK, O'll give it a shot, won't be the first or last time I get made fun of! Hope this is taken with the tongue and cheek intention it was written!

I know I get heated on here once in a while, but this preaching type posting stuff is getting to be really pathetic. The constant telling people what they should do and how they should feel on here is at best comical, and for some, well, scary!

Yes, we all want others to see our point of view, and we all feel that we know better than someone else what is intelligent and what is not. To me it is far less destructive to share your feelings on a drum corps forum than it is to tell somebody else how they should feel or what they should or shouldn't say, or how they should say it.

But the solution is really simple if you hate these posts so much:

Stop reading the forums

Stop posting in the threads

Stop participating

Just stop, just walk away. I tried to not come here for a while, and actually come on here a lot less than I used to. Eventually, no matter how much the posts of a select few bothered me, I came back.

Ya see folks, you can #### about what others say, you can #### about how they say it, you can #### that someone doesn't agree with your point of view, but you're still posting, so in the end, who wins? The DCP forums...the ones that just got another large viewing for a thread about this latest controversy filled with drama and hysteria.

Now do I think some posts are out of line? Yes. Do I think the forum could be so much better than it is now? Yes. Do I think the mods and designers in some cases have hurt themselves and the site? Yes

But I still post here, and as such, that's giving my tacit support to DCP, it's members, and it's mods to keep doing what they're doing.

When the day comes that there is only 5 people posting here, or the conversation is just so totally lame, I'll go. I have already cut down quite a bit, I'm ok with that, and apparently DCP is too, because not enough other people have done the same to a degree that it hurts them.

So if you hate the drama and negativity that is on here, just go. If enough people do that, then DCP will try to figure out what happened and try to fix it. Maybe they won't, but at least I won't have to log on here and be preached to about what I should do and how I should feel.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I've never seen a discussion board with so few people trying to control what is said and what is represented. And we wonder why those in the activity discourage people from posting their thoughts here. I'm not saying it has to be a love fest, but we've had passionate debates in this activity from the beginning, and that's far less destructive than just preaching and not caring about what anyone who is passionate about drum corps might think or say.

Flame away, I won't like it, but I will welcome the discussion.

:winky:

Well played

• Like 3

To Jeff's OP - Agreed. It is not the end of the world. As I posted in the poll forum, I seriously doubt you see any changes at all in the hornlines. Just some special stuff, Bone solos, maybe a whole Mellow section picking up Horns for a special section then changing back, etc.

And lord knows I'd rather hear 10-15 kids pickup a Horn and bang out a cool section vs blaring the thing through the Synth. That change was much, much more radical than allowing someone to play on a different brass horn. And I'd bet you see 0 changes in hornline makeup overall.

• Like 1

I want to see carnage on the field with trombone pass throughs at 220 bpm....Survivor DCI!!! Trombone suicides combined with SCV's cymbal line....I just can't wait for it!!

• Like 4

What's the point of DCP if no dissenting views are welcomed? Isn't the basic purpose of a forum the free exchange of ideas and opinions? My question for the OP is, if it bothers you to the point that you find the need to post about it several times, why do you keep coming here? Let people post what they want to post. I'm pretty sure they're aware it doesn't do anything unless they stop spending money. We don't need the thought police.

Edited by HockeyDad

But the solution is really this simple if you hate this rule so much:

Stop going to shows. Done

stop buying tickets Done

stop buying merchandise. Done

stop donating Done

I already started the above a few years ago.

Also, the fact that I was unaware of the new rule changes illustrates how much (or little) I follow the activity anymore. I might check various DCI websites (even DCP) every few weeks to give a cursory glance.

According to the DCI website announcement on the annual meeting, 2013 was the most profitable year in its history. My absence hasn't hurt DCI.

edited to add color.

Edited by aka_MrStarsFan