It's really this simple folks

I already started the above a few years ago.

Also, the fact that I was unaware of the new rule changes illustrates how much (or little) I follow the activity anymore. I might check various DCI websites (even DCP) every few weeks to give a cursory glance.

According to the DCI website announcement on the annual meeting, 2013 was the most profitable year in its history. My absence hasn't hurt DCI.

edited to add color.

No it didn't say that.

(See, this time I got it right.)

I have been seeing posts by all sorts of frustrated friends on Facebook that haven't followed the activity closely for 10 plus years, let alone contributed real dollars. I got a text today from a best friend that marched during my time that I haven't been able to drag to finals week activities when it's been in his own back yard for 5 years.

His message today: "I'm done with DCI." My reply: "You already were. I guess you just didn't realize it."

• Like 4

I have been seeing posts by all sorts of frustrated friends on Facebook that haven't followed the activity closely for 10 plus years, let alone contributed real dollars. I got a text today from a best friend that marched during my time that I haven't been able to drag to finals week activities when it's been in his own back yard for 5 years.

His message today: "I'm done with DCI." My reply: "You already were. I guess you just didn't realize it."

Exactly. Really the only people that should be complaining are those people that have been rigorously attending shows, or contributing to aspects of DCI recently. Not those that show up "sometimes" to a show once every two years, and expect DCI to listen to them. Why would DCI want to please people who haven't been to shows in the past 4 - 5 years even?

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Jeff, I have a question about something you said- DCI reported a profitable year, yet, the one PR percussion guy evidently referred to DCI as "dying" according to what was quoted in the 75+page thread.

Is there a dichotomy with those two statements or something I'm not aware of that could cause the two of them to exist?

I also am with you and Truman on one thing-

All of us, agree or disagree, are more alike than different in several aspects, whether we like it or not.

We all kissed the book and signed up somewhere to perform with a corps because we wanted a challenge, we wanted to be part of a special organization where everyone wanted to be there and be as great as they can be, not because Mommy and Daddy made them, and we want to light up the crowd.

I really enjoy talking to people active now in DCI or DCA, all great people, and we do have a lot in common. I think some people need to do more of that, and think about that. I think it would help perspectives a little.

• Like 1

lol...probably a lot of that! This is a valid marketing question. Why did he not want to go for the last 5 years, when obviously he still felt some attachment?

Exactly. Really the only people that should be complaining are those people that have been rigorously attending shows, or contributing to aspects of DCI recently. Not those that show up "sometimes" to a show once every two years, and expect DCI to listen to them. Why would DCI want to please people who haven't been to shows in the past 4 - 5 years even?

Why they haven't been in 4 or 5 years is why DCI should want to listen to them? Maybe, just maybe...a vote for something as seemingly "simple" and logical as this could create another group of people who will say 5 years from now that they haven't been in 5 years? I do suppose some people might just be looking for an excuse or justification for not supporting the cause for other reasons, but I am sure there are some that have had genuine bad feelings from what, and how things have been done. I would also venture to say that there are many in favor of this, or who don't see the big deal, that haven't been to shows in the last 5 years as well. Should DCI not consider their feelings?

a vote for something as seemingly "simple" and logical as this could create another group of people who will say 5 years from now that they haven't been in 5 years?

Your saying the same things as I did. Those that have up until this point decided to ACTUALLY stop going to DCI shows (as in they have been fairly regularly been attending shows before this upcoming season) should be the main focus for DCI. Plus such a demographic wouldn't even be realized until after the season anyway! Not people who have for 100th time on these forums said that they are "done with DCI" even though they haven't supported a corps or the activity in a decade. Those people need to cut there losses there is literally nothing DCI can regress back into that would actually have them start buying souvies, donating, and attending shows again.

Edited by charlie1223

Jeff, I have a question about something you said- DCI reported a profitable year, yet, the one PR percussion guy evidently referred to DCI as "dying" according to what was quoted in the 75+page thread.

Is there a dichotomy with those two statements or something I'm not aware of that could cause the two of them to exist?

Perhaps he meant from a design standpoint? Right now there are very few groups that have limitations like DCI, so maybe the PR percussion guy was speaking from that standpoint.

Or, perhaps the PR Perc. guy's perception is that since there are not as many competing groups as there were decades ago the activity is dying out?