It's really this simple folks

I still go to shows because I find them enjoyable and entertaining. I used to be grumpy over amps and electronics (and still am, to a lesser degree), but a couple years ago I had a mental revelation, which is that I can't justifying defining what drum corps is to anybody else, as it takes away the experience they had when they marched, or are having when they march now.

Things change- it wasn't "drum corps" when you marched either, so move on.

• Like 3

Maybe this is a little off topic, maybe its not.

If DCI wants to get more butts in the seats...I hardly think that changing anything on the field is going to help. In fact, most of what happens on the field is almost irrelevant to how many fans sit in the stands...save the quality of the shows.

But really, the only way DCI will grow the fan base is to encourage more organizations to start fielding a corps.

The more corps there are, the more kids will march, the more parents/family/friends will come, the more popular drum corps will become in schools, universities, etc. Grow the member base, grow the fan base.

And not only that, but there are a lot of school / college music teachers who are against drum corps, for various reasons. DCI could start an outreach program, underlining the benefits of marching and the whole experience in general. Those benefits are no-brainers to us, but to a family who is considering having their child march, educating them will go a long way to persuading them to give up their kid for a whole summer, and for the kid to want to give up his/her summer. Find a way to reach more of those families.

Music is already popular in schools, find a way to tap into more of that huge resource and get kids on the field. Then there will be more fans.

Changing from a G horn to a Bb, adding synthesizers, props on the field, all of that together probably affects the total overall average attendance less than 1%.

Not sure I can say the same in the event woodwinds are added to the field...but I really don't think that will grow the activity.

The activity survives by money and reputation. Grow both of those, and activity will grow.

So I guess to keep on topic, responding to Jeff's original post, if you don't like certain things, then don't go, but I really don't believe the total amount of people-stop-going-because-of-X is going to even put a dent in the overall attendance. The activity is much bigger than having a synthesizer, or a Bb horn instead of a G, or having a prop (or 100) on the field.

DCI is not defined by that. DCI is defined by what it does for the lives of those who perform and entertain, and what it does for the lives of those who appreciate watching, teaching, or even volunteering. My life is changed because of drum corps, and a Bb horn or a few props or a synthesizer affected that negligibly.

I never marched in DCI, mostly because I was from an area where it was not popular or publicized. That said, as all of you who marched can attest, a huge part of the success of any corps is getting the best players and the most merch sales. Titles are great, but in the end I would bet that most organizations -- given the choice -- would choose 10 qulaified applicants for every MM chosen, and lines out the door at the merch table.

I have the utmost respect for the traditional DCI powers, who continue to do what they do. But right now I'd be willing to be that Bluecoats had more and better qualified applicants this year than any year in their history. Someone posted here that they have never seen lines at a merch table like they saw for Bluecoats this past season. Clearly, Crown is stockpiling talent and it is largely because they have a reputation with kids as a cutting edge, risk taking corps. These evolutionary changes are giving corps a chance to differentiate themselves from the traditional powers that already have their brand image cemented. Kids don't see the dramatic distinctions that the old timers see; They see drum corps as so radical a departure from what they listen to anyway.

It would sadden me to see the traditions dismissed entirely. I probably would stop watching if woodwinds are accepted. But while trampolines and synths are not my cup of tea, I know it is making a huge impact on the upward rise of DCI.

If DCI is going to continue to survive and hopefully grow, it has to have more corps in more geographical areas that have a distinct way of doing things. Let's face it, you're not going to beat Vanguard, Blue Devils and Cadets at what they do. Just not going to happen. If these changes give corps a chance to evolve themselves into a unique brand with kids, then go for it.

• Like 1

True enough. But DCI really is struggling with identity. Everyone HERE understands the differences and to be frank we are talking VERY little difference from just marching band. (There are all brass marching bands LONG before DCI went any key). DCI has really nothing to do with the real world and music education or even music. It's a niche activity. I can't think of another musical activity that practices as much for so little performed. I mean it's fantastic but for people that haven't marched (for the most part) its just very good marching band. I can understand WHY a ton of educators would shy their students away from drum corps. Taking their students for camps when they have things to do for their schools and that program, one based on reality. Personally I think creativity for the brass arranging is stale as anything. If we have ANY key wtf are we NOT using C,D,G.Eb trumpets and all the wonderful stuff that could make BEAUTIFUL different music? IMHO (flame away) the addition of the synth is the real killer. WHY bother making unique sounds through experimentation and pushing the envelope when you can press a key? Personally, it would be better is DCI JUST took over creating a summer MBA circuit. THAT would be interesting.