The Entertainment Proposal... The one that didn't pass

I find this proposal as intriguing as the "other one". While the majority agree to passing new instrumentation that will give designers new freedoms to create wonderful fan friendly new moments, there was much disagreement on this one.

The entertainment proposal called for more focus and reward to design that engages the audience. It felt that there needs to be a shift in design from what the judge thought was effective, to what the fan thought was effective. It certainly implies that the current scoring system does not do that. Basically, it asks for the current 40 points in GE to be split up 20 for what the judges think is effect, and 20 for how the fans react to the effect.

I doubt had this passed, that 5,000 people would have signed a petition in 24 hours asking for it to be repealed.

How can the message be that we overwhelmingly feel we need to add things and make changes to allow for new things that fans will love, but we aren't sure we want their judgement to determine our competitive success?

One might start to wonder if some think they know better than fans about what is enjoyable and what is not.

• Like 1

How can the message be that we overwhelmingly feel we need to add things and make changes to allow for new things that fans will love, but we aren't sure we want their judgement to determine our competitive success?

One might start to wonder if some think they know better than fans about what is enjoyable and what is not.

My guess is it came to a discussion of "how do you measure it?" In a game of tenths, what's the way to measure audience engagement/involvement/interaction/impact? Decibel readings? A judge that sits on the back grandstands and solely counts the number and length of standing ovations?

I'm kidding, but I think you see the point. Many of the other captions are largely subjective, but at least have objective overtones. I think once they figure out how to implement that angle so that it's not wholly subjective, we will see this pass. Based on the article I read, it looks like they're shooting for early March?

Edited by CrownLeadSop
  • Like 2

Way too subjective for it to actually work. What's entertaining to one audience base could completely fall flat in another one. It was a very interesting proposal to push corps towards more "entertaining" shows, but it would be impossible to measure. Most of the captions outside of GE can be easily measured. Missed notes, dirty drums, guard not together, someone phasing can all be seen. Entertainment can't really be measured in tenths. Which is why some people absolutely love BD's shows and say they're entertaining, while others go nuts for Madison. It's all subjective. Plus, the diversity is great. If every show was designed the same, it would get boring fast.

• Like 4

Sounds like Detroit automakers in the 60s/70. "We'll tell the consumers what they want to buy".

Google Edsel and number of increase of foreign autos sold since....

g/ who drives a Subaru and has walked out of dealerships when they start telling me "No, this is what you really want".

internet hicuup

Edited by JimF-LowBari

and another...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

In the back round of this proposal is the concept that the fan needs to feel that their input is important. That the system takes into account what the majority likes, or they will become disengaged and not feel valued. Anybody who went to shows last year can see how the majority of fans were not as "entertained" by the second place corps as they were the by the 4th place one. Easy...no applause meter needed.

I applaud caution and analysis when making changes to how things are done. We simply cannot change things for the sake of evolution, there needs to be careful consideration to ALL aspects of a proposal, not just general gut feelings about what sounds good. The complexities of the system are sometimes not easy to see for everyone. I bet you know where I'm going with that?

They passed a simular effort in DCA a few years back. I really did not see any apparent difference in show design nor did I see where judges really gave any reward to it on the sheets.

So not sure how or if it would have had any impact in the MBI (Marching Band International) world nowdays.