The Entertainment Proposal... The one that didn't pass

The proposal isnt going to pass (hint hint, Im rather close to that circle and its not being taken seriously (as it shouldnt), as there are so many obvious flaws with it... it would be just a "show" proposal and have no real merit nor value).

and the fan base is quite well aware that they are NOT talented, creative designers... they are there to be wowed and impressed... in some circumstances to be inspired and learn... the audience are not peers,but rather spectators... do you understand what it takes to be a dci calibre judge? Its not simply filling out a questionnaire and putting on a tacky green golf shirt.

Apparently not. So why don't you use your "..close to [the] circle..." expertise to inform and educate us?

I know three people (one, a family member) who would love to know the answer to this. From everything I've found, the single most important qualification is to know someone else who is already a judge who will sponsor you.

Inquiring minds really want to know, Mr. Barker.

:tounge2:

• Like 3

This conversation (and many others that I've read and taken part in on this board) reminds me of this article.

http://thefederalist.com/2014/01/17/the-death-of-expertise/

There is such a thing as an expert, and no the general public doesn't know as much as said expert. They're not arrogant or elitist for knowing more about their field. Its what they are supposed to know about.

Just read that Ben Affleck is set to testify before the US Senate as an expert in issues affecting the Congo.

He made a movie about it, apparently, so he's obviously an expert.

He also has a charitable foundation that has directed attention at issues affecting the Congo.

It's not apparent that he's actually solved problems, donated money, or built schools, but he's more than qualified to tell others how to do it. He's therefore also qualified to marginalize others who don't agree with his viewpoints or methods.

Not all the drum corps experts are judging or making rules or, for that matter, running corps. Why, I'd bet there are more drum corps "experts" on DCP than there are Congo experts in Washington.

"Expert" is notional, situational, and not defined by any rigid set of rules or markers. Anyone can call themselves an expert, even those in the "inner circle".

But you have to have at least seen the movie...

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

. Why, I'd bet there are more drum corps "experts" on DCP than there are Congo experts in Washington.

:dry:

utterly absurd.... the "delusional" dilemma of the over inflated sense of self worth syndrome that happens to so many people who justify their obsessive interest.

yeah, all the people that got cut year after year in November camps are now "experts" online...

WRONG

here's a link to DCI.org 2013 World Championship judging panel:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=d215b0df-3d2a-4311-b471-858adce1bd42

every single visual and guard judge DOES MAKE A LIVING IN THESE FIELDS AS EDUCATORS, DESIGNERS AND CONSULTANTS.

Okay, the first one I checked is false. Marie Czapinski makes her living as a project manager in the real estate business.

• Like 1

I know three people (one, a family member) who would love to know the answer to this. From everything I've found, the single most important qualification is to know someone else who is already a judge who will sponsor you.

So it's like joining the Freemasons? Someone who's a member needs to invite you into the brotherhood? Do they wear hoods and have induction rituals as well?

The proposal isnt going to pass (hint hint, Im rather close to that circle and its not being taken seriously (as it shouldnt), as there are so many obvious flaws with it... it would be just a "show" proposal and have no real merit nor value).

and the fan base is quite well aware that they are NOT talented, creative designers... they are there to be wowed and impressed... in some circumstances to be inspired and learn... the audience are not peers,but rather spectators... do you understand what it takes to be a dci calibre judge? Its not simply filling out a questionnaire and putting on a tacky green golf shirt.

I'm so glad the fan base, which consists of many designers in the band and indoor world, all realize they're not talented in any way shape or form. if that truly is DCI's feelings on the subject, I hope they're smart enough to be unlike you, and not advertise that.

:dry:

utterly absurd.... the "delusional" dilemma of the over inflated sense of self worth syndrome that happens to so many people who justify their obsessive interest.

yeah, all the people that got cut year after year in November camps are now "experts" online...

Ok; we get it. In your mind you, and your inner circle, are more educated, more qualified, more knowledgeable, better trained, have superior intellect, more experienced, more cultured, more proficient, more sophisticated, more refined, have greater accomplishments, cultivated from finer stock, have deeper understanding, than most, if not all, of us who engage in posting on DCP and all others in entire the world of drum corps outside of your inner circle for that matter. But think about this: Maybe, just maybe, could it be, that the "delusional dilemma of the over inflated sense of self-worth syndrome that happens to so many people who justify their obsessive interest' in which you claim to see is just a reflection in a mirror?

• Like 1

I'm so glad the fan base, which consists of many designers in the band and indoor world, all realize they're not talented in any way shape or form. if that truly is DCI's feelings on the subject, I hope they're smart enough to be unlike you, and not advertise that.

I now think that we may be dealing with a troll named Sinclaire who derives pleasure poking at bears in the winter season; just sayin'.

No offense taken; but I was in DCI; involved with two corps which are now part of the G7; and it was back in the years BJR (Before Jeff Ream :hehe:) in '80s and early '90s. Anyway, the experience with both corps was rather the same. Rehearsal days on tour were pretty much how they are now with people mingling around the housing site watching us rehearse from respectable distances, and then we would talk with them while on meal breaks. When we would travel to, and arrive at, a show site, we would seek out isolated places to warm-up that were not that accessible to the ticket buying public. And when someone did find us we ignored them if they stayed their distance and politely asked them to please respect our space if they got too close. Why? Because we were not only warming-up but mentally getting into that game-face mind-set. After the retreat was a different matter; after we had loaded the equipment and for the time period between the end of the show and our leaving we welcomed anyone to hang out around the bus lot to meet-greet family, friends, and even engage with potential wanna-bees.

and there's lot videos out there from at least 1990 that show a crowd of people watching corps warmup.