The Entertainment Proposal... The one that didn't pass

Hilarious!!! In '88 was that VK? BD? or was it a DCA corps?!?!

East Coast...name withheld to protect the staff having beer in front of the kids.

( and the then 19 year old having a beer with his dad watching the kids warmup while the staff had some too)

.with WGI it does say you must be certified in a local association BUT there have been some ( I know this 1st hand :colgate: ) can be fast tracked based on experience and maybe a few tapes ....there also have been a one or two with no experience but went through the process and some how have been judging several years now.....that last one often comes up especially when it comes to their huge ego now.....lol..oh well

DCI fast tracked many of the wgi judges....some I still shake my head.......lol

oh there';s always exceptions, even on the local level. but at least WGI offers stuff in writing as to whats expected, even if there is the occasional wink wink nod nod.

In drum corps if you don't like the product, you're ridiculed and told you're wrong. Not a good business model.

on this i wholeheartedly agree

I agree with you. Experience, education, knowledge and wisdom all play a role in determining an expert within any field. The thing I was contending was the notion presented by Sinclaire that only he, and a select few of his inner circle, were the ‘only’ experts capable of having qualitative opinions within DCI; and that all in the rest of the fans, audience, musicians, instructors, etc. (especially those who disagree with him and his philosophies) were all non-educated non-experienced non-knowledgeable non-wise bottom-feeding idiots.

The more you think you know about stuff... makes you weaker, you have to always learn, study, improve. I start every day thinking about what more I can learn and think about in this activity. I'm doomed if I don't, and not doing my job.

• Like 1

In drum corps if you don't like the product, you're ridiculed and told you're wrong. Not a good business model.

First of all, that's not a "business model". Second, I don't really see anyone telling people who don't like the product that they are "wrong". They can have their opinions and the bottom line is that drum corps is not for everyone and it's not meant to be. Drum Corps has the luxary of being to think on its feet believe it or not. Every years brings an opportunity to change the product. I like the current product and will therefore continue to pay money to see this product. Perhaps some people on here will tell me I'm wrong for enjoying it? not out loud anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

I would say, I strongly disagree with such an asinine proposal. It would only dumb down the activity to the lowest common denominator: for the most part, seasoned, cultured individuals would always say the artistic and design-savvy is always the more entertaining. ... Sorry, I don't think the naive, subjective, agenda-driven fan base with their chemically-driven fast food McNugget logic should have any impact on the activity.

If fans thought your attitude toward them was the dominant one among the DCI powers-that-be, DCI would soon cease to exist. Anyway, the "asinine proposal" was taken seriously enough by the corps directors that, following some revision, it will be reconsidered in March.

The proposal isn't going to pass (hint, hint: I'm rather close to that circle, and it's not being taken seriously (as it shouldn't), as there are so many obvious flaws with it. It would be just a "show" proposal and have no real merit or value). And the fan base is quite well aware that they are NOT talented, creative designers. They are there to be wowed and impressed, in some circumstances to be inspired and to learn. The audience are not peers but rather spectators. Do you understand what it takes to be a DCI-caliber judge? It's not simply filling out a questionnaire and putting on a tacky green golf shirt.

So was Mr. St. Sinclaire correct? Is the small rules change that was just passed entirely for show, and secretly intended to be utterly meaningless?