The Entertainment Proposal... The one that didn't pass

Everyone realizes that this proposal wasn't actually voted down, right? It was rescinded in favor of an alternate "Total Effect" proposal that will be reconsidered in March. Here's the relevant section from DCI's article:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Two rules proposals were submitted for consideration prior to the winter meetings, the first aiming to create an “Entertainment Effect” caption as part of the adjudication process. According to the original submission, corps would be awarded points based on their “art of communication with the audience.”

“Using the word ‘entertainment’ can be polarizing, but it also served as a catalyst for a very interesting discussion among the instructors, designers and adjudicators on how best to capture the overall value in a show’s delivery to the audience,” Madison Scouts Executive Director Chris Komnick said. “Our current system is awarding achievement in various caption categories, but it never specifically awards the total delivery—music and visual and continuity—of a corps’ complete show.”

The original proposal was evaluated and discussed at length in the instructor caucus sessions on Friday and Saturday of the annual meetings. Common to the Rules Congress process, out of that debate came several alternatives that were revised and honed to maintain the spirit of the original proposal while refining the language to perhaps a more workable format for implementation.

Komnick says that the original proposal was rescinded during the sessions in favor of backing a more broadly supported “Total Effect” concept that will still address points made in the original. “It’s a pretty major step to recognize the value of an entire production and its connection to the audience,” he said.

Artistic Director Michael Cesario and DCI’s Rules and Systems Task Force will return to work on the subject, evaluating the current judging sheets used to rank and rate corps performances with revisions and amendments incorporating the “Total Effect” approach. An official vote on adoption of the rule for the 2014 season has been scheduled near the beginning of March, allowing the model to be worked out under the current adjudication system with input from the corps.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What are people's thoughts about that?

IMO....the sheet will now have 2-4 people depending on the venue judging music and visual effect wrapped up into one, since both sheets have an awful lot of the same buzzwords and criteria

• Like 1

Everyone realizes that this proposal wasn't actually voted down, right? It was rescinded in favor of an alternate "Total Effect" proposal that will be reconsidered in March. Here's the relevant section from DCI's article:

Two rules proposals were submitted for consideration prior to the winter meetings, the first aiming to create an “Entertainment Effect” caption as part of the adjudication process. According to the original submission, corps would be awarded points based on their “art of communication with the audience.”

“Using the word ‘entertainment’ can be polarizing, but it also served as a catalyst for a very interesting discussion among the instructors, designers and adjudicators on how best to capture the overall value in a show’s delivery to the audience,” Madison Scouts Executive Director Chris Komnick said. “Our current system is awarding achievement in various caption categories, but it never specifically awards the total delivery—music and visual and continuity—of a corps’ complete show.”

The original proposal was evaluated and discussed at length in the instructor caucus sessions on Friday and Saturday of the annual meetings. Common to the Rules Congress process, out of that debate came several alternatives that were revised and honed to maintain the spirit of the original proposal while refining the language to perhaps a more workable format for implementation.

Komnick says that the original proposal was rescinded during the sessions in favor of backing a more broadly supported “Total Effect” concept that will still address points made in the original. “It’s a pretty major step to recognize the value of an entire production and its connection to the audience,” he said.

Artistic Director Michael Cesario and DCI’s Rules and Systems Task Force will return to work on the subject, evaluating the current judging sheets used to rank and rate corps performances with revisions and amendments incorporating the “Total Effect” approach. An official vote on adoption of the rule for the 2014 season has been scheduled near the beginning of March, allowing the model to be worked out under the current adjudication system with input from the corps.

What are people's thoughts about that?

Its a work in progress. They appear to be acknowledging that there needs to be some tweeking in the current captions to address a wholistiic approach as to whether or not the overall show at some fundamental level is connecting well with the audience or not, ie is the theme that is layed out beforehand communicated well musically and visually ? I am encouraged that they at least recognize the need for a change in this respect. Now it remains to be seen what tweeking in done in the language, but more importantly, what effect will we see in its implementation. Will it be real change, or just lip service ? Only time will tell.

Edited by BRASSO

funny. When i saw the 2nd place corps, while the show was not overly loved, people paid attention, so don't mistake silence as not being engaged. i was engaged, mainly because i wasn't high enough to get it

:ninja:

Actually, Jeff what I said was ENTERTAINED not engaged. Either can be very hard to quantify. Personally, I welcome the benefits of both, and feel the diversity is great and makes the activity stronger.

As far as your BD comment goes, maybe they will fair very well in Denver this year?

Edited by truman

I think the importance of engagement of the fans that they are referring to in this proposal, (in the original proposal, not shown in the recap pasted above), is more about in the activity as a whole rather than in the individual shows. For example, Crown winning last year has got to be better for the activity from a popularity standpoint then if BD had won.

Actually, Jeff was I said was ENTERTAINED not engaged. Either can be very hard to quantify. Personally, I welcome the benefits of both, and feel the diversity is great and makes the activity stronger.

As far as your BD comment goes, maybe they will fair very well in Denver this year?

but...again...when the audience has their backs to the judge who is usually way above them, at least at major events, how can a judge tell if they are "entertained" as well as keep track of whats happening on the field?

you can't.

so unless you go all american idol with text votes etc, you have no way and even that can be toyed, aka over voting per phone

I'm just going to throw my idea out there...Entertainment is subjective, but do we really honestly know how many people find BD more "entertaining" than MS in your example...I'm not advocating either group...I feel true audience interaction is the answer to this....rather than using a judge who attempts to "guess" what your reaction is...the opinions that matter in this case are those that are actually attending shows...I propose DCI uses the following technology to accomplish this objective...a wireless voting system...not cell phones...where everyone attending the show is given one of these wireless voting devices to simply vote after each performance on a predetermined scale or point value of this entertainment caption. It would be interesting even if it is not counted for placement lMO.

Here is a link to such a device here... http://wireless-voting-systems.com

Seems like that would be too open to bias though. If it's someone's home show, of course they will have the bigger group of die-hard fans there that will vote them up no matter what.

Seems like that would be too open to bias though. If it's someone's home show, of course they will have the bigger group of die-hard fans there that will vote them up no matter what.

Could be considered marketing brilliance. If the home show fans thought that by buying tickets and attending the show, they could help their hometown corps, maybe a lot more would do so? Just a different take on it.

• Like 1

Funny how some who have defended the need for acceptance to change to prevent death are now against anything too drastic that might upset the competitive process that we have now. They must be those dinos that want to back to the tic system....lol

Could be considered marketing brilliance. If the home show fans thought that by buying tickets and attending the show, they could help their hometown corps, maybe a lot more would do so? Just a different take on it.

True, but would create some weird things in scoring. Someone could get a 5 point bump at their home show from their crowd voting for them, then drop down the next day because they were at someone else's home show, with their crowd voting for them.