The Entertainment Proposal... The one that didn't pass

As did the G7.

Well played, sir.

We can't somehow quantify "entertainment appeal" of shows, but we *can* quantify "intellectual engagement" of shows (GE)?

Mike

Thank you!!!!! You have just pointed out the absurdity of people claiming DCI judging is based on objective calculations instead of the reality which is that DCI is a competition solely based on subjective opinion (disguised as quantifiers)!!!!

• Like 1

There's a way to balance those issues: make this year's payout dependent on last year's fan preferences. That way corps will know in advance how much money to expect. Or maybe we don't do this with appearance fees but with the paybacks that DCI makes to corps after the season: people have said on these forums that money is tied to how corps have scored in past seasons. I think it would make more sense for money to be tied to the fans' decisions than to the judges' decisions, since the money comes from the fans not the judges.

problem....do you base on just finals? DCP? reactions at every show?

it's proven BD gets a better reaction closer to home than say North Jersey. so...whose reaction do we go off of?

I know it will never change. I'm just suggesting that the corps who bring in the money should reap the financial rewards.

ok but....look at the stands when some of the most controversial or "unliked" shows are on.

they're fuller than when a corps like Surf is on.

so...who is bringing in the money?

Edited by Jeff Ream

Not sure what the show is yet but I was told that BD's show is going to be popular this year. (I am hoping for a remake of the 94 show)

been hearing that for 6 years now LOL

• Like 1

Look at the stands when some of the most controversial or "unliked" shows are on. They're fuller than when a corps like Surf is on. So who is bringing in the money.

I didn't say it would be easy to figure this out, and sure, Surf's technical limitations--and early performance time--doubtless make them less popular overall than BD despite what Surf wins back from the crowd due to their entertainment value. But I think, for instance, that #2 Crown and #3 Phantom were more popular than #1 BD in 2012. As far as I have heard on these forums, DCI pays out the corps based on a complicated formula determined by placement over multiple years, which implies that whatever portion of those allocations were determined based on the 2012 results, BD got a bigger share than the other two. Given that Crown and Phantom bring in more than BD, should they get more than BD?

I didn't say it would be easy to figure this out, and sure, Surf's technical limitations--and early performance time--doubtless make them less popular overall than BD despite what Surf wins back from the crowd due to their entertainment value. But I think, for instance, that #2 Crown and #3 Phantom were more popular than #1 BD in 2012. As far as I have heard on these forums, DCI pays out the corps based on a complicated formula determined by placement over multiple years, which implies that whatever portion of those allocations were determined based on the 2012 results, BD got a bigger share than the other two. Given that Crown and Phantom bring in more than BD, should they get more than BD?

audience participation, aka clapping is not the way to determine popularity.

as for how DCI pays corps, it's actually kinda easy...place top 8 you get x, place 9-17 you get y, below that you get z.

audience participation, aka clapping is not the way to determine popularity.

As for how DCI pays corps, it's actually kinda easy...place top 8 you get x, place 9-17 you get y, below that you get z.

I didn't say DCI should be measuring applause. There must be other ways to determine who the audience is paying to see--if we want the corps who are earning the most money to actually receive the most money. (Maybe we don't.)

Since you have helpfully provided a formula, we can consider one obvious example. Madison Scouts placed ninth last year. Accordingly, they received a smaller payout than Boston Crusaders, who finished eighth. Did more people in fact pay to see Boston than paid to see Madison?

(Edit to fix obvious mistake of switching corps eighth and ninth places.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand