"Hey, quiet! Shut up! In the hallway, shut up!"

I remember there were some issues with "concourse noise" the years the DCA championship was held in Syracuse, 2000-2001.

no doubt,..........but the last year there it changed dramatically when they made the smokers actually go outside, where it used to occur right there in the hallway,...................

I have no clue where the smoking area was but there was absolutely NO PASSES outside the gate the last year in Scranton. Not for any reason. One of our members needed his medicine from the car and was told he would need to buy another ticket to get back in by the brown shirts. Another member needed to attend to his dogs who were in a air conditioned trailer. Both Got the Brown Shirt treatment.

Solution was simple. Walk in the back gate with one one of the corps coming onto the field then make your way into the stands.

Was so glad to be out of Scranton. Rochester with its "neighborhood" was a welcome relief.

Scranton Was pretty tight quarters and the hallway did need to be policed from time to time. I will give the brown shirts that much.

With the Bar and booze being right there in the concourse and prices being very reasonable from what I recall people had the tendency to get a bit more tanked there than they did in Rochester. At least that's the way it seemed.

I don't recall Rochester selling anything harder than Beer. IF they did I did not purchase anything there. They just checked Bags at the front gate and never did a shake down of your person. I think the booze is what got a lot of people. People just can't handle booze like they can handle beer.

I have no clue where the smoking area was but there was absolutely NO PASSES outside the gate the last year in Scranton. Not for any reason. One of our members needed his medicine from the car and was told he would need to buy another ticket to get back in by the brown shirts. Another member needed to attend to his dogs who were in a air conditioned trailer. Both Got the Brown Shirt treatment.

Solution was simple. Walk in the back gate with one one of the corps coming onto the field then make your way into the stands.

Was so glad to be out of Scranton. Rochester with its "neighborhood" was a welcome relief.

From my perspective, the Rochester police and security people have been great!!! Professional and courteous, always.

From my perspective, the Rochester police and security people have been great!!! Professional and courteous, always.

Yep. my favorite was driving to Prelims and when we flashed the Handicapped Placard the first cop waved us past...

Second cop had his back to us and when we went by I heard "HOLD IT!"

I'm thinking "Oh crap" and waved the placard again and 2nd cop then said "Oh sorry... go ahead....".

Last security guard at Scranton looked like he dropped a load in his pants when I said Thank You on the way out after Finals. Same guy gave me a crap ###ed look and a nasty hand gesture to move in between corps year before. Guess leaning over the railing to talk to your wife in the top row didn't count.

Yep. my favorite was driving to Prelims and when we flashed the Handicapped Placard the first cop waved us past...

Second cop had his back to us and when we went by I heard "HOLD IT!"

I'm thinking "Oh crap" and waved the placard again and 2nd cop then said "Oh sorry... go ahead....".

Heh... 2010 in Rochester, I went to the Alumni show early, watched a couple of corps, then headed out for a late breakfast... on the way out, I mentioned to the police officer on the corner that I was heading to one of the local Tim Hortons. He said "bring me back some coffee"... then laughed.

So... on my way back into the stadium after the breakfast break, I saw the same officer... showed him my parking pass, and he said, "so... where's my coffee????" I hesitated for a moment, and then he broke out laughing!!!

I thought, if this were Scranton, this guy would have had me arrested for not obeying orders. LOL.

oh yeah the brown shirts had their moments in Scranton, tho IMO never did anything as disrespectful as the Legion folks in 2005.

But having attended finals in all of those places, it wasn't just booze. I remember my dad in the mid 80's standing up and yelling over the wall behind the last row of seats in Allentown telling people to shut up, because they just let you walk or congregate freely up there.

oh yeah the brown shirts had their moments in Scranton, tho IMO never did anything as disrespectful as the Legion folks in 2005.

Oh yeah, I remember thinking "Glad I'm buying the Prelims recordings as that's going to be heard if you know where to listen.".

Rochester cop leaving before Finals one night. We were one of the wierdos who would turn left out of the stadium and drive thru town to get to the highway. We're sitting waiting to turn and hear "Oh, you want to go left". I look and it's a cop off to the side catching his breath before the flood would come out of the stadium. He trots over and holds up traffic so we could turn more easy.

I yelled "Thank you" as we went by and heard "No problem". Last time I had such an easy time with a cop was at home when my mother in law tagged our neighbors car backing out one day and then drove off. Cop was starting to write his hit-n-run report when I gave my m-i-l name. He put the report book away "Oh I know her, I'm sure she didn't know she hit the that car. I'll just call her and give her the bad news".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The Rochester Police Department was magnificent! I've worked many events in several cities and RPD is unmatched in its professional courtesy and appreciation of visitors to its city. It was as if you just wanted to 'hang out' with those guys.

One year, I was in position to express our activity's gratitude. I collected and published all written praise from DCP and elsewhere (about 75 compliments) on three sheets and submitted them to the Chief of Police. He was thrilled and displayed them all on bulletin boards at headquarters. For those attending DCA this year, thank those guys for their help. Maybe, actually buy them coffee!

Edited by Fred Windish

for the last year in Scranton, the smoking area was outside the doors adjacent to the stadium club,...............it seemed to work just fine,.........