Soundsport Details Released

[sorry if this doesn't belong in the World Class category, but best I can tell there's no other place for it. I do think it's relevant to DCI's general health and growth prospects, which is a common topic on this forum.]

DCI has finally put together a SoundSport website which is surprisingly informative:

The rulebook is the most surprising, given that DCI doesn't post current drum corps rules online anywhere. (Although many of the rules in the SoundSport rulebook are straight copy-and-paste from the 2009 DCI rulebook (the latest I've been able to find).)

Only a handful of official competitions this year, but I'm hoping given the 83 teams that are registered so far that we'll see at least a dozen at each event.

All in all I'm excited about the prospects for this new type of competition and I sincerely hope it will ultimately lead to growth for the drum corps activity and the marching arts as a whole.

Most curious to me is that I don't see any SoundSport teams that are directly associated with a current World Class corps (other than Glassmen Alums which I'm assuming is a separate organization). Seems like that'd be a relatively easy extension to make, particularly for corps who wish to dabble in stretching the rules.

• Like 2

Jersey Surf has a team called "The Surftones" which was a scaled version of their field show.

I would love to see some DCI Div2&3 / A60 favs return as Soundsport corps like Americanos, Patriots, General Butlers, Kips Bay Knight, Phantom Legion/Regiment Cadets, Bandettes, Capital Sound, Golden Lancers, Lake Erie Regiment, Yamato, Les Etolies and so many more.

I think all the SS teams are equally excited to see this forward movement! Its a great opportunity for us and greatly helping us improve and build our programs!

[sorry if this doesn't belong in the World Class category, but best I can tell there's no other place for it. I do think it's relevant to DCI's general health and growth prospects, which is a common topic on this forum.]

DCI has finally put together a SoundSport website which is surprisingly informative:

The rulebook is the most surprising, given that DCI doesn't post current drum corps rules online anywhere. (Although many of the rules in the SoundSport rulebook are straight copy-and-paste from the 2009 DCI rulebook (the latest I've been able to find).)

Only a handful of official competitions this year, but I'm hoping given the 83 teams that are registered so far that we'll see at least a dozen at each event.

All in all I'm excited about the prospects for this new type of competition and I sincerely hope it will ultimately lead to growth for the drum corps activity and the marching arts as a whole.

Most curious to me is that I don't see any SoundSport teams that are directly associated with a current World Class corps (other than Glassmen Alums which I'm assuming is a separate organization). Seems like that'd be a relatively easy extension to make, particularly for corps who wish to dabble in stretching the rules.

Soundsport and DLB were never intended to be made up of drum corps lines. My hunch is that the corps that support it (Surf, Crossmen, etc) are doing so because they see the benefit their example can bring to the SS and DLB teams.

The programs are meant to be "amateur" in nature, not a separate competitive division for drum corps horn or drum lines.

Please, before my head explodes over this "announcement", someone please...

I see the "Penalties" section...

"Rules errors...will not be considered, tabulated, or announced as 'penalties'". But, under sections c and d they stipulated that eligibility "errors" will be "penalized" 1/10 of a point for each member over 50, and that each overtime violation will "...be penalized 1/10 of a point for every 3 seconds..."

Besides the fact that this looks like it was written by an attorney, will someone PLEASE tell me how many points - Total - we're dealing with on the Soundsport "sheets"?

Look, I did a drum line battle last year. It was fun. The kids had a ball. But now I have to find a volunteer to time (in seconds) each performance unit and, instead of a volunteer group of amateur judges making a subjective judgement of entertainment value of the performance, I now have to print score sheets (even though I don't know what "points" total or categories we're judging) and follow some tabulation formula.

Uggh...

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Please, before my head explodes over this "announcement", someone please...

I see the "Penalties" section...

"Rules errors...will not be considered, tabulated, or announced as 'penalties'". But, under sections c and d they stipulated that eligibility "errors" will be "penalized" 1/10 of a point for each member over 50, and that each overtime violation will "...be penalized 1/10 of a point for every 3 seconds..."

Besides the fact that this looks like it was written by an attorney, will someone PLEASE tell me how many points - Total - we're dealing with on the Soundsport "sheets"?

Look, I did a drum line battle last year. It was fun. The kids had a ball. But now I have to find a volunteer to time (in seconds) each performance unit and, instead of a volunteer group of amateur judges making a subjective judgement of entertainment value of the performance, I now have to print score sheets (even though I don't know what "points" total or categories we're judging) and follow some tabulation formula.

Uggh...

this same struggle took place with the birth of mini corps in DCA 21 years ago,............it all started out fun and games, tho some took it very seriously.

About 8 or so years ago, many DCA mini corps got together and formed a group called MCA, (which has since ceased efforts to move forward)...........pretty much everything we set out to do, has come to life with this new small compeditive group effort by DCI.

The other performance opportunity venues and events list runs very similar to the efforts of SCDA, which seems to have not gained much traction............maybe there should be a come together moment between the two,...............

What I like most about this effort is that it gives smaller groups like these some organizational structure to build their programs around,........it gives them something to work for...........on a true national platform, with standardized criteria.

My suggestion to the mods is to get soundsport its own subpage here on DCP so that we can all learn more,...........

• Like 2