Members have changed so why not the activity

Tupac

Shorter? Including preshows, some corps now are going for close on 15 minutes. 90's and 2000's were 11.5. 80's was... (ok, help me here) - 13?

Mike

Pre-show is a choice. The actual adjudicated performance time is shorter. If one wants to roll back the hands of time..........think of when there was the adjudicated dreaded full corps "Inspection Line".....then moing forward to the "Ready Line".......then moving forward to the "Starting Line"..........then doing a 15 minute performance. HeII, that took so long.........you could start out age eligible on the inspection line and be overage by the time you stepped over the finish line!

• Like 2

And, again for the benefit of Mr. St What's-his-name...

The activity has changed in many profound ways over the last decade - some would claim "evolved" - and yet the number of corps dwindles and claims of financial ruin if nothing is done run rampant.

What, exactly, has the last decade's "evolution" of drum corps saved of the activity?

Forget the posturing about the next ten years. Instead, look back at the last 10 as a historical record of the efficacy of the "evolution" in saving drum corps from dying. The proof is there if one is willing to acknowledge it.

(Not directed at you, Mr. HockeyDad with a band director's picture...)

well to some that is evolution...to the grand plan they offered in 1997

That is also true. Very hard visual programs do mean that you can't play the same super-dense books. Crown tried it last year, and couldn't get it all clean enough to win. Probably why most of the hardest passages are played at a standstill. That's not a huge change from the past though. A lot of the time the hardest sections of the show were at a standstill in order to max the music

agreed, but now they add in body...too often for the sake of adding body

• Like 1

Kids these days just aren't tough enough. What ever happened to pushing buses, sleeping at hotels, having to buy your own food, drinking and smoking in the buses, wearing wool uniforms during full-day shows. They need that experience to know what drum corps really is about!

/the above is a joke, but a sentiment I've seen expressed. The entire activity has changed, as evidenced by the fact that none of the above happens anymore, thankfully.

Kids these days just aren't tough enough. What ever happened to pushing buses, sleeping at hotels, having to buy your own food, drinking and smoking in the buses, wearing wool uniforms during full-day shows. They need that experience to know what drum corps really is about!

/the above is a joke, but a sentiment I've seen expressed. The entire activity has changed, as evidenced by the fact that none of the above happens anymore, thankfully.

Everything that you described would most certainly build charachter. I do remember pushing busses up hill in Allentown, PA. in 1981, drinking & smoking in the busses & wearing wool unis. Kids today ARE soft.

The last DCI show I attended, Hoppy's show in Allentown in 2012, what I recall the audience demographic was of an older age. it would be interested to do a research study on some of the bigger DCI shows. It would not surprise me if the majority of the demographics are middle aged and older....

The last DCI show I attended, Hoppy's show in Allentown in 2012, what I recall the audience demographic was of an older age. it would be interested to do a research study on some of the bigger DCI shows. It would not surprise me if the majority of the demographics are middle aged and older....

I'm sure Ream was there.

Jeff, you concur?

I'm sure Ream was there.

Jeff, you concur?

Allentown (aka DCI East) has been going on since the 70s. Wonder what the demographics are for regionals that started more recently.

Allentown (aka DCI East) has been going on since the 70s. Wonder what the demographics are for regionals that started more recently.

A little 'trivia-like' information . . . .

The first DCA Championship in Allentown was awarded in 1976, with the event held September, 1977. The first DCI-East in Allentown was determined in March, 1977 with the event held July, 1977.

It is not possible to demonstrate, one way or the other, the demographic of early Allentown DCI crowds. No formal effort was made to do that, so any opinion would need to be just someone's impression. Here is my own.

The very first DCI-East crowd demographic would not be a good representation of DCI's earlier years there. That event was a last-minute switch from someplace else and did not have the usual lead-up promotion. The second year there would be a better representation, however even that is not a pure indicator.

The first Allentown DCA Championship, held two months after DCI-East, directly exposed a huge, new, mostly older audience to the facility. It can be assumed many were pleased with Allentown and began a habit of going to that city for BOTH DCI and DCA. I would think, beginning in 1978, the DCI crowd became 'older' than it was in 1977. Even a few DCA corps kept DCI-East weekend open so their membership could attend DCI-East. My unscientific observations of every Allentown event since that time leads me to say, Allentown is still DCI's oldest average crowd, as a percentage of total crowd. Unfortunately, the percentage of older spectators has dropped considerably over the years, mostly due to the aging process, and partly due to the changing nature of DCI performances.

• Like 1