Members have changed so why not the activity

Tupac

So you are more impressed by the ability of the teachers than the work of the kids? I guess that a valiant perspective especially since teachers don't often get recognized for their efforts. But it's certainly a very obtuse way through which to enjoy drum corps.

Back in the piston/rotor day I was impressed that we could make beautiful/emotional music with modified signaling devices (my term) missing a freaking valve. Spending time in the "lesser Sr corps" circuit got to see badly unbalanced corps work with what they had to sound balanced (or at least try).

Nothing against corps with better equipment, better budget and full lines. But dealing with shortcomings to present a pleasing show should not be ignored. Main reason why I'd rather go to start of Prelims at DCA and catch the full corps at Finals.

Funny part is one of my favorite shows BITD was from a corps that only beat one other corps that year. They knew they would get their butt kicked so decided on crowd pleasing. then again....hearing the show on CD is a lot easier than seeing it on the field. ugh... Years later I talked to the DM (turned out I knew him) about the show. His quote was "dirty as Hell" but considering our lack of experience and money, we entertained some people and some kids got to do corps. Some of those kids almost won DCA with another corps a few years later.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

charlie123, it's all about (for me) how far someone progresses as a student. For these players learning (and playing) at a very high level 8,5 minutes of music that has been learned of 100's of hours doesn't really impress me as much as a beginner attempting and accomplishing something they could of would never attempt or do. After all it all about the experience now and not instrumentation correct? I mean despite the dictionary saying otherwise, it's a good mantra.

charlie123, it's all about (for me) how far someone progresses as a student. For these players learning (and playing) at a very high level 8,5 minutes of music that has been learned of 100's of hours doesn't really impress me as much as a beginner attempting and accomplishing something they could of would never attempt or do. After all it all about the experience now and not instrumentation correct? I mean despite the dictionary saying otherwise, it's a good mantra.

So does that mean you are more impressed with the little kid falling on the ice learning to skate or the Olympian who just won a medal or the little leage kid verses the major league player?...everyone was one of those kids learning at one time and those at the top NEVER stop learning from those who coach them......If thats what you are saying... i get ya..I think..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

Pretty much. Face it the kids (young adults) in the top corps come in knowing the music in November pretty much. They are simply fine tuned.

• Like 1

Regarding the issue of " interest ", I happened to come across an article regarding Major League Baseball Spring Training from BITD and that of Spring Training of today. The old timers bemoaned the fact that years ago a fan could go to Spring Training and sometimes the crowds there were so small and intimate that players sometimes would have Barbeques down in Florida and invite some of the fans over to it. The old timers thought the accessibility for them was great, and were sorry to see the change. They also mentioned other changes that have taken place in the game ( steroids, egos, money, etc ) over the years that they did not like. But the article concluded on a happy note. It mentioned that all their older baseball loving friends still like the game of baseball, follow baseball, come out to the games still, or at least watch it from home. Its the game they loved once.. and still love today, despite the mostly cosmetic changes in the game that has taken place since they were young and were once out on the competition field..... unfortunately, by contrast, Drum Corps has lost thousands of once very loyal fans to the activity. For too many of them, the changes undergone in Drum Corps has been simply too much for too many of them to accept. They did complain once.. but in short order, they left. And they are not coming back. I recall this this in the context of the old timers who still see the game of baseball as still the game of baseball, and can still relate to what they see on the field. It saddens me that for many once loyal fans of Drum Corps they no longer relate to what they see on the field. I have no answers for this. But I do share their genuine sense of pain and loss, as I attempt to still find joy in a Drum Corps world that is quite removed from the one I once knew when I was much younger.

YAFSA

Drumcorps' on-field product is music and motion.

People's taste in music is frequently locked into certain era and they can't (won't) understand the music of other (especially newer) eras.

So why is it surprising that folks who participated in a performing art even just a relatively short time ago find the product today "too different".

Drumcorps is not a sport.

The analogies always fail.

Stop.

Edited by corpsband

Pretty much. Face it the kids (young adults) in the top corps come in knowing the music in November pretty much. They are simply fine tuned.

BITD we also had all fall and winter to learn things...because drum corps isnt a local activity anymore and members come from all over the country they have to come in knowing music.I remember having 2 rehearsals during the week and some on the weekend during the winter. If they didnt come in ready they wouldnt be out in June. so actually pretty much in May we might have been pretty close to where we might have been bitd. Just a more educated kid today as far as music.

also putting these shows together IMO is far more than just fine tuning...but thats just my opinion.

Edited by GUARDLING

YAFSA

Drumcorps' on-field product is music and motion.

People's taste in music is frequently locked into certain era and they can't (won't) understand the music of other (especially newer) eras.

So why is it surprising that folks who participated in a performing art even just a relatively short time ago find the product today "too different".

Drumcorps is not a sport.

The analogies always fail.

Stop.

Drum Corps is music and motion that is true; however, especially in DCI, it is also a high level of competition which exists within a high level of athleticism. While it might not be an objective outcome based sport, it certainly is an athletic competition like Olympic Figure Skating. Thus many of the athletic competition analogies certainly are applicable and do not fail within that context. So it would be rather obtuse to, as you say, ‘Stop’.

Edited by Stu

Drum Corps is music and motion that is true; however, especially in DCI, it is also a high level of competition which exists within a high level of athleticism. While it might not be an objective outcome based sport, it certainly is an athletic competition like Olympic Figure Skating. Thus many of the athletic competition analogies certainly are applicable and do not fail within that context. So it would be rather obtuse to, as you say, ‘Stop’.

Even figure skating doesn't hold up very well. Drum corps is an art not a sport. Yes there's a great deal of athleticism involved but the competition aspect is so completely subjective as to make comparisons to any sport fail every time (which they do).

More apt comparisons (and expectations) are made with other performing arts. Many previous generations of pop radio/music listeners find "rap music" to be completely un-listenable. Why should it be surprising that the same thing has happened in drum corps? The modern version is different -- really different -- than just a generation ago. But todays participants find it really exciting and engaging. So do many fans who are able to set aside old expectations and an embrace the new product. Many folks can't do that. That's ok. It's perfectly normal. Many folks can't listen to JayZ either.

Drum corps is neither an art nor a sport. It is summer band for kids who can afford to pay-to-play. And it appears more and more to simply be a resume builder. It is far from ars gratia artis.

• Like 2

Even figure skating doesn't hold up very well. Drum corps is an art not a sport. Yes there's a great deal of athleticism involved but the competition aspect is so completely subjective as to make comparisons to any sport fail every time (which they do).

For accuracy I have spent time looking up definitions of the word Sport on Merriam-Webster Dictionary, Cambridge Dictionary, The Free Dictionary, Oxford Dictionary, etc.. And every entry, every permutation, contradicts your contention. Sport, according to all of these definitions, can range from being a scored athletic event, either subjectively scored or objectively scored, which is regulated by rules (such as Figure Skating, Football, Cheerleading, Baseball) to being a leisure activity (such as a Sports-Fisherman who catches and releases fish); just sayin’.

More apt comparisons (and expectations) are made with other performing arts. Many previous generations of pop radio/music listeners find "rap music" to be completely un-listenable. Why should it be surprising that the same thing has happened in drum corps? The modern version is different -- really different -- than just a generation ago. But todays participants find it really exciting and engaging. So do many fans who are able to set aside old expectations and an embrace the new product. Many folks can't do that. That's ok. It's perfectly normal. Many folks can't listen to JayZ either.

But art sometimes delves into the realm of competition. And if that art competition, whether subjectively scored or not, contains a form of athleticism, especially with the high form of competitive athleticism found within DCI, it by all definitions, again by all definitions thus becomes, wait for it…., a ‘Sport’!!! Or are you going to argue with Merriam-Webster, Cambridge, Oxford, et al?