Members have changed so why not the activity

Tupac

As far as I can tell, there was no disagreement about the definition of a sport. So there's no need for me to propose such a source.

In nearly every case the use of the dictionary definition is simply an attempt to re-cast an argument that's been lost using reason.

There was, however, a disagreement on whether or not the drum corps activity fit into the definitions of the word 'Sport'. Reason and Logic within an argument are reinforced by the use of defined criteria in which a culture has established as being an authoritative source. The dictionary is such a source. An argument is therefore not lost when an appeal to that authoritative source is utilized; an argument is lost when there is no cultural authoritative source in which to back up a belief based on such statements as, "I consider”.

• Like 1

I stand by my original assertion -- every DCI sports analogy made on DCP so far has been swiftly debunked.

I used to get the runs when some DCP'ers on here wanted to discuss and compare the sport of Figure Skating to DCI Drum Corps. So your assessment is not without some merit in some respects with me anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

Easy -- you haven't made any analogy at all. Just a simple comparison.

Now *I* win the internetz!

Do you agree with the comparison? That DCI is a subjectively judged competition where the performers engage in high physical demands and Olympic Ice Dancing is also a subjectively judged competition where the performers engage in high physical demands. if not then please debunk the comparison.

There was, however, a disagreement on whether or not the drum corps activity fit into the definitions of the word 'Sport'. Reason and Logic within an argument are reinforced by the use of defined criteria in which a culture has established as being an authoritative source. The dictionary is such a source. An argument is therefore not lost when an appeal to that authoritative source is utilized; an argument is lost when there is no cultural authoritative source in which to back up a belief based on such statements as, "I consider”.

Do you agree with the comparison? That DCI is a subjectively judged competition where the performers engage in high physical demands and Olympic Ice Dancing is also a subjectively judged competition where the performers engage in high physical demands. if not then please debunk the comparison.

You're proving my point in both these posts.

I don't think anyone has posited that sports and drum corps share no common characteristics. (eg. They both have scores.) Really Stu you're floundering here.

I'm trying to decide if he just did a fallacy fallacy.

You're proving my point in both these posts.

I don't think anyone has posited that sports and drum corps share no common characteristics. (eg. They both have scores.) Really Stu you're floundering here.

Looks like this fallacy:

strawman You misrepresented someone's argument to make it easier to attack.

"Triple jump....double fallacy loop!!!!"

~ Scott Hamilton

Haha! There's more!

I'm trying to decide if he just did a fallacy fallacy.

Oh boy, June can't come quick enough. I think by now even Noah Webster in the Great Beyond is looking down upon us with amusement on our use of his dictionary to try and determine who and what in Hades we are now.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Even though members have changed, I will admit that I still spend at least a day or 2 every season with the corps that I marched with in the 70's while they are passing though our city. I still get excited as I watch the buses pull up and as I watch them run to the last set to clean the drill and see the improvements as they practice in the burning sun throughout the day. Is this what I thought drum corps would be like in the 2000"s?.... probably not, but I get to know a few of the members every year and DO know that they are getting out of corps exactly what I got out of corps 35 plus years ago.

• Like 3