drum corps on ESPN

14 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

One of the first groups I saw with a synth was Pioneer with their little Casio keyboard.  Non-polyphonic or monophonic; it wouldn't play chords.  I guess Roman got a deal.  :whistle:

Oh…that was a sad scene.     There must have been a sale at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet. 

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Oh…that was a sad scene.     There must have been a sale at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet. 

Hey member of Ollie’s Army here.

Funny seeing Terri mention it as Ollie was a local businessman and first two stores are from my home area. That was when Ollie was running things and yes he looked like the drawing in the ads 😱. Helluva businessman and character. When he passed away found out he was buried in the same cemetery as my family’s plot. 😳

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Hey member of Ollie’s Army here.

Funny seeing Terri mention it as Ollie was a local businessman and first two stores are from my home area. That was when Ollie was running things and yes he looked like the drawing in the ads 😱. Helluva businessman and character. When he passed away found out he was buried in the same cemetery as my family’s plot. 😳

There’s one way east of me, a half hour away.  I go to BJ’s or Sam’s Club.  The closest Costco is in Sarasota. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

There’s one way east of me, a half hour away.  I go to BJ’s or Sam’s Club.  The closest Costco is in Sarasota. 

Yeah after Ollie passed the people running the company REALLY expanded. Just shake my head where the stores are located. IIRC he started it as something to do after he retired. 
Too bad can’t  post pics as have an Ollie bobble head on the entertainment center and a 4 inch Ollie Christmas tree ornament. Both so bizarre looking its hilarious. Irony is Ollie was Jewish. 
Harrisburg area success story 😆

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

GOOD #### CHEAP!

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, TenHut said:

Ollies! New store opening June 8 at Fox Valley Mall in Aurora, IL. 

Really?  I used to live in Aurora.  About a mile

east of the outlets off Bilter Rd.

How’s that dinosaur thing doing over there? 

Edited by Terri Schehr

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Really?  I used to live in Aurora.  About a miles

east of the outlets off Bilter Rd.

How’s that dinosaur thing doing over there? 

did you go to Mikita's for donuts? Also, did you make sure you didn't play Stairway at the music store?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

did you go to Mikita's for donuts? Also, did you make sure you didn't play Stairway at the music store?

Unfortunately, all fictitious.  We could have used a good donut shop.  The closest great one was far.  Home Cut in Joliet.   We had to get Stan’s donuts at the grocery store.  Which are great, too.

All we have here is Dunkin’ and they’re practically on every corner. 

27 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Unfortunately, all fictitious.  We could have used a good donut shop.  The closest great one was far.  Home Cut in Joliet.   We had to get Stan’s donuts at the grocery store.  Which are great, too.

All we have here is Dunkin’ and they’re practically on every corner. 

If you ever get up to WDW, stop at Disney Springs and check out Everglazed - gourmet donuts bigger than your head, and incredibly tasty.  I was assigned to DS when they were preparing to open and while training their staff would hand out donuts by the dozen to cast members.  we ate like kings.

as far as the original discussion here, for consideration - years ago I had a chance to speak with someone from our local PBS station.  their observation was that the percentage of drum corps patrons not fulfilling pledges was not much different than any other pledge group. The decision to continue broadcasting DCI was simply a matter of not enough people tuning in.  

would love to see national exposure again, but until we are a bigger draw or become 'more interesting', that is unlikely to happen, IMO.