drum corps on ESPN

2 hours ago, JohnZ said:

If you ever get up to WDW, stop at Disney Springs and check out Everglazed - gourmet donuts bigger than your head, and incredibly tasty.  I was assigned to DS when they were preparing to open and while training their staff would hand out donuts by the dozen to cast members.  we ate like kings.

as far as the original discussion here, for consideration - years ago I had a chance to speak with someone from our local PBS station.  their observation was that the percentage of drum corps patrons not fulfilling pledges was not much different than any other pledge group. The decision to continue broadcasting DCI was simply a matter of not enough people tuning in.  

would love to see national exposure again, but until we are a bigger draw or become 'more interesting', that is unlikely to happen, IMO.  

I’ll be up that way in June.  I’ll check it out.  Thanks! 

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Unfortunately, all fictitious.  We could have used a good donut shop.  The closest great one was far.  Home Cut in Joliet.   We had to get Stan’s donuts at the grocery store.  Which are great, too.

All we have here is Dunkin’ and they’re practically on every corner. 

please tell me that at least on Friday night you drive around town jamming to BoRhap

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JohnZ said:

If you ever get up to WDW, stop at Disney Springs and check out Everglazed - gourmet donuts bigger than your head, and incredibly tasty.  I was assigned to DS when they were preparing to open and while training their staff would hand out donuts by the dozen to cast members.  we ate like kings.

as far as the original discussion here, for consideration - years ago I had a chance to speak with someone from our local PBS station.  their observation was that the percentage of drum corps patrons not fulfilling pledges was not much different than any other pledge group. The decision to continue broadcasting DCI was simply a matter of not enough people tuning in.  

would love to see national exposure again, but until we are a bigger draw or become 'more interesting', that is unlikely to happen, IMO.  

I think you can talk to different folks from PBS affiliates and hear different opinions. WGBH in Boston broadcast finals early on when it was a live broadcast. A neighbor of mine growing up was a producer for GBH and he told me years later the broadcast was a labor of love. It got started somewhat unexpectedly. “Zoom,” (kids wearing striped shirts singing “We’re gonna zoom-zoom-zooma-zoom”) featured a guest who marched in a drum corps which sparked an interest in the activity. Not too long after the station featured a special about the 27th Lancers and the broadcasts began. Gene Rayburn of “Match Game” hosted with his wife and Pete Emmons did the commentary. Crews attended Boston area shows to see potential finalists for better filming, so Bridgemen, 27th, Madison, North Star, Garfield, and other corps who competed at World Open usually fared well with close-ups. Though non payment of pledges were problematic for WGBH as people noted a few years back in a similar thread, so too was the cost. The station could no longer afford the live broadcasts and another affiliate took over. In the early years, PBS did not need to make money on the broadcasts, but they did need to recoup the cost, and without a corporate sponsor and people not paying pledges, that was difficult. 

Regarding PBS today, they learned many years back they are better off broadcasting pre-made content for fundraising than producing content itself. This is where ratings would come to play. Drum corps would not pull in the audience that Yanni, Il Divo, Sarah Brightman, or interviews with the stars of “Downton Abbey” would, so I agree it probably will not happen.

10 hours ago, JohnZ said:

Everglades is overpriced and not nearly the best in town.

Gideon’s cookies in Disney Springs are worth every penny! 

19 hours ago, TenHut said:

Dinosaur thing?

I thought for sure that was a DCPer age reference. Sorry for the quick conclusion. 

• Haha 1