Drum Corps Night @ the Library!

Some shows I would highly recommend showing,

92 Velvet Knights

2000 Cavaliers(although any Cavies show 2000-06 would probably work great)

2013 SCV or 89 SCV

Madison 88 or 97

Cadets 93

Blue Devils 94

If you can put together some clips of the greatest moments would be cool too. Les Etoiles spinning drums, Bridgemen blindfolds, 27th guard spinning rifles, Troopers sunburst, Jersey Surf Taking the penalty, Cavaliers Diamond cutter, SCV changing pants in the tunnel, SCV Broom trick in 86, Blue Devils pit in 2000, Scouts guard fight on the spinning drum set 97, Cadets fingering horns next to them in 2000, and maybe include some fan moments, like the Vanguard yell, or Bloooing.

• Like 1

I think it's wonderful that you are doing this. Drum corps needs to be promoted!

People find it hard to understand what a drum corps is. If it's just a kind of marching band, well that's not interesting.

Here are some talking points about drum corps:

- A drum corp is a nomadic summertime marching band that plays high energy, high speed shows. The members in the top corps train seven days a week, 8 to 10 hours a day, do a competition almost every night in a different city, sleep the first part of each night on the bus, and the last part on a gym floor when they arrive in the next city. In the morning training begins again, These kids pay for the privilege of spending their summer vacation this way.

- The audiences turn out for these shows because they love the passion and excellence they see, and the fact that these kids are getting a solid work ethic out of the activity. Drum corps is always the hardest thing a kid has ever done,

- You'll notice the corps get loud every minute or three. Very loud. And you can hear the audience respond every time. The high acoustic volume is called the brass choir effect that you really can't experience any other way but live, but you can imagine it on the videos.

Now, other things I'd recommend:

- I'd start with Carolina Crown 2013. Show the latest champion; that's what the buzz has been about lately.

- Focus on shows since 2010 in HD. They look much better, and they're great, so why not maximize the audience's enjoyment. Also, they have better camera shots that focus more on the drill than in years past. Shows from the 80s for example just show people milling about from random camera angles. Great as those shows were to experience live, they will bore your audience. I think you already need to be a fan to connect with most older shows.

- Consider your audience. Is it mostly kids who might join a drum corps? Their parents? People who might support a drum corps? Just some interested? (If there's even one kid, there's your primary audience I would say.)

- Alternate weird with popular shows. In my opinion kids (teens, I mean) can handle much weirder shows than adults. Their brains are not as fossilized as adults. You want to show the artistic maturity of the activity that people will not expect from a marching band.

The following descriptions are not definitive. I have have my facts completely wrong.

The best weird shows in HD include:

Crown 2013 ("This is loosely based on an opera about the way Albert Einstein has influenced our culture. The text and counting in the beginning is from a special needs boy's report on Einstein.")

Blue Devils 2012 ("One of the most controversial modern shows, this is about the Dada art movement that appeared between the world wars. Some people said they would stop being drum corps fans because of this show. Wanna see it?" The answer will be yes.)

Blue Devils 2010 ("You'll hear the same melody cropping up throughout the show, but played in completely different moods.")

Santa Clara Vanguard 2010 ("Many people discover music through drum corps. Here the audience is thrilled by music they may never have heard before, by composer Bela Bartok.)

Great populist shows include:

Cavaliers 2011 ("XtraordinarY with a capital Y at the end. So it's X and Y. This is one of two all-male corps with a very unique style of drill.")

Santa Clara Vanguard 2013 ("Music from the musical Les Miserables")

Bluecoats 2013 ("They're blooing, not booing! It's a patriotic show, but there's clearly more going on.")

Carolina Crown 2010 ("Peter Pan has gone to Heaven (in the previous year's show), and so now Tinkerbell is looking for a second chance at love, but there's only one man for her. This show manages to be both whimsical and gritty at the same time. All the music has the number 2 in the title, as in 2nd Symphony, or 2nd Movement, etc.")

If anyone can correct my descriptions that would be great.

Again, I'd alternate between avant garde and 'normal'. In fact, I would give them choices, not of the corps themselves (which they don't know about) but the show ideas themselves ("Do you want Tinkerbell or Dada art?" It will be more fun that way.)

Just my thoughts. Good luck, and let us know how it goes! When is the first event?

• Like 1

SCV broom trick in '86

I love that trick and wish I could have seen it live.

• Like 1

Another suggestion: 2011 Cavies "upside down everything".

• Like 1

To piggyback on an earlier poster: if you are planning this as some form of "history of" the activity (and it appears that is your intent), I would put together snippets of early DCI (or even earlier VFW) performances as a lead in. As is true in most anything, it is important to know what/where/ who we were in order to fully understand what/where/who we are now. This will give your attendees a basis for comparison across the years, and will show how all caption areas have grown. Just my 2 cents worth.

• 2 weeks later...

Still in the process of putting this together. I am leaning towards the history intro with clips from earlier shows, and then going towards the present, taking everyone's show suggestions into account.

I want to get as many newcomers as possible, but I'm also contacting the local middle and high schools' band directors to let them know our library will be doing this so hopefully they'll send their students.

It was going to be scheduled for our county's spring break next week, but I've decided to hold off until the beginning of summer break and hopefully incorporate it into our Summer Reading Program.

For those that are interested, this will take place at the public library in Springfield, Tennessee,. Thanks again for the comments and suggestions! It is truly appreciated!

• Like 1

Still in the process of putting this together. I am leaning towards the history intro with clips from earlier shows, and then going towards the present, taking everyone's show suggestions into account.

I want to get as many newcomers as possible, but I'm also contacting the local middle and high schools' band directors to let them know our library will be doing this so hopefully they'll send their students.

It was going to be scheduled for our county's spring break next week, but I've decided to hold off until the beginning of summer break and hopefully incorporate it into our Summer Reading Program.

For those that are interested, this will take place at the public library in Springfield, Tennessee,. Thanks again for the comments and suggestions! It is truly appreciated!

Very cool idea; good for you coming up with a fun way to introduce people to the activity!! :thumbup::thumbup:

I personally would try to find shorter clips on youtube of a lot of shows to give a wide variety of audience-friendly highlights, especially of the older shows: give them short snippets showing off great moments from history of the activity. For newer shows I'd probably show Cadets 2011, Phantom 2008, maybe the Crown Rach Star show to give the a great blend of pop rock mashed with classical, Cavaliers 06, BD 03, Cadets 00