A "Tradition Corps"? What do you think?

Let's say a corps forms. This hypothetical corps is called "Tradition". They field 128 members and their SOLE PURPOSE is to perform OLD SHOWS. I'm talking - exactly true to the original - same score, same drill moves. For modernization sake, they have their own uniform, updated equipment (meaning they have a pit versus marching timpanis), they perform on G Bugles. The show could either be "an entire show" (for example 1980 Bridgeman) - or they would do combination (First they perform T.O.; then Elks Parade; then In the Stone; then Ice Castles. (Their end set would be the first set of the new song). This corps, called TRADITION, tours with it, competes (knowing they're not competitive) - however - they are a fan favorite in a big way (because it emotionally reaches, tributes history, alumni, tradition, etc;). Would this work? Would you like to see an organization be a tribute corps and exist among the ranks of touring drum corps? (I have a lot of free time on my hands today so mind is spinning).

• Like 1

Let's say a corps forms. This hypothetical corps is called "Tradition". They field 128 members and their SOLE PURPOSE is to perform OLD SHOWS. I'm talking - exactly true to the original - same score, same drill moves. For modernization sake, they have their own uniform, updated equipment (meaning they have a pit versus marching timpanis), they perform on G Bugles. The show could either be "an entire show" (for example 1980 Bridgeman) - or they would do combination (First they perform T.O.; then Elks Parade; then In the Stone; then Ice Castles. (Their end set would be the first set of the new song). This corps, called TRADITION, tours with it, competes (knowing they're not competitive) - however - they are a fan favorite in a big way (because it emotionally reaches, tributes history, alumni, tradition, etc;). Would this work? Would you like to see an organization be a tribute corps and exist among the ranks of touring drum corps? (I have a lot of free time on my hands today so mind is spinning).

with all your posts on returning to this or that..they are all starting to look the same...BUT ok I will bite......a novelty? sure...rarely does it ever work....Ive yet to see a corps copy or do a tribuet show and do it as well as the original..........would it or could it win..I doubt it...what we did back in the day is under a very different criteria now...would you get lots of kids to want to do this?...i KIND OF DOUBT IT ..imo....would it reach some?...sure

even when some corps do their own anniversary shows most dont care...except those involved

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Whose tradition? Whose era?

• Like 1

For me (underscore - for me) - drum corps was lost when they went to Bb. I'm thinking, based on age of alumni - 70's and 80's. Don't know how many people in the stands marched in the 60's. And since you'd be hard-pressed to find video of anything in the 60's is another reason.