A "Tradition Corps"? What do you think?

You are a piece of work you know that?

I chose this video because you can accuratly and clearly see the fan reaction. Any Final performances are only of the corps and do not acculturatly portray audience reaction as a result. You reject this evidence because it so obviously and blantly flies in the face everything you've been complaining about. Anyone can see that.

You did not comment on my Madison video which IS OF FINALS and shows the crowd reaction very very clearly. No comments from peanut gallery on that one huh?

This video accurately portrays the emotions behind the fans and the corps during a live performance. Period. You are wrong if you don't think this video show excitement, entertainment, engagement and passion from both the corps and the fans.

Continue to live in your own world without the enjoyment of drum corps. There is no point for any corps to try to appease a curmudgeon such as yourself.

I don't have time to post every video clip. The reality is I proved my point. Watch the video clip over and over and over again until you get it. Grab your girlfriend, wife, both, your dog, mother, granny, UPS Driver and say "hey, watch this clip. In your opinion, do you see people standing and cheering loudly with enthusiasm". When he looks at you like you're one dumb blind mothermucker, and says, "uh, no...sign here"...then maybe you'll get it? Probably not.

BTW, I'm tired. See you guys in a few months.

Wow! I guess ol' George Carlin WAS right when he said "Just because you got the monkey off your back, it doesn't mean that the circus has left town."

I feel we're approaching critical mass for alum's meltdown. The name calling seems to be increasing. Perhaps that months-long/7-minute nap didn't quite get the job done.

• Like 1

I feel we're approaching critical mass for alum's meltdown. The name calling seems to be increasing. Perhaps that months-long/7-minute nap didn't quite get the job done.

Might get him banned, so maybe it's a good thing. As long as we can maintain a thick skin and poke the bear, he'll go full Chernobyl within the hour

• Like 1

Might get him banned, so maybe it's a good thing. As long as we can maintain a thick skin and poke the bear, he'll go full Chernobyl within the hour

But if he gets banned, however will he regale us with his hard-hitting exposè on the Tepid Allentown Crowds???

• Like 1

You know what, I really like the OP idea. I think it would cool first off to have another active corps, regardless of what type of show they are doing. Anytime you add another corps, that is one more chance for people to like another show on the field that year.

Personally, I usually enjoy all but one or two shows each year. There have been years I have loved every show on the field, and one year, there were 4 corps shows that kind of disappointed me.

I personally think a throwback type corps would be popular. Maybe it wouldn't be the most competitive. But there are more important things than just the score. In 2012, as many people here have already mentioned, Jersey Surf didn't place top 12, but they were a fan favorite of many. A Tradition corps isn't going to change any other corps performances. EVery other corps is still going to do the same show they would have done. So to bash the original poster seems kind of pointless. If you don't want to watch "Tradition" taking the field, make it your hot dog/bathroom corps.

As for the comments about how people who liked the old days better, watch the video/dvd, or listen to the cds, there is a small flaw with that. While the media is amazing, there is something so much more special seeing/hearing a show live. You don't get the full feel of the volume, even with a stereo cranked. With some of the old videos, you only get to see parts of the show, that the camera crew filmed. When you see a corps, you can watch whatever part of the show you want to.

To me, it seems like a win-win situation no matter how you look at it. Another corps on the field every year-awesome!! A retro show that many people can enjoy. People who may not be excited about what is on the field today, can probably really enjoy a show like this. And people who really like what is on the field today, won't miss out because it won't change what Devils, SCV, Phantom, Cavies, Crown, Cadets and all the other corps are putting out(unless they started placing top 5 and all the other corps copied their style).

Some people have complained that the OP doesn't like todays drum corps. So what? I don't think that is the point. What the OP has brought is the fact there is ONE MORE CORPS!! And the corps would cater to people who loved the old days and the old style shows. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. And what is wrong with placing 23rd? There have been many shows that haven't made top 12 that are amazing wonderful, fun to watch over and over again shows. And how many times here on DCP in the last decade have we had people bashing Cadets, BD, and Cavaliers for shows that they were not excited about? Blue Devils and Cadets have placed in the top 3 many times with shows that many people, sometimes it seems like even a majority of people didn't like. Every year you will have people that like, and dislike shows. So as many people who have disliked some of the recent rule changes over the last decade, why wouldn't this new corps "Tradition" make many people happy?

Let's say a corps forms. This hypothetical corps is called "Tradition". They field 128 members and their SOLE PURPOSE is to perform OLD SHOWS. I'm talking - exactly true to the original - same score, same drill moves. For modernization sake, they have their own uniform, updated equipment (meaning they have a pit versus marching timpanis), they perform on G Bugles. The show could either be "an entire show" (for example 1980 Bridgeman) - or they would do combination (First they perform T.O.; then Elks Parade; then In the Stone; then Ice Castles. (Their end set would be the first set of the new song). This corps, called TRADITION, tours with it, competes (knowing they're not competitive) - however - they are a fan favorite in a big way (because it emotionally reaches, tributes history, alumni, tradition, etc;). Would this work? Would you like to see an organization be a tribute corps and exist among the ranks of touring drum corps? (I have a lot of free time on my hands today so mind is spinning).

This record is broken--can we take it off the player?

• Like 1

I don't have time to post every video clip. The reality is I proved my point. Watch the video clip over and over and over again until you get it. Grab your girlfriend, wife, both, your dog, mother, granny, UPS Driver and say "hey, watch this clip. In your opinion, do you see people standing and cheering loudly with enthusiasm". When he looks at you like you're one dumb blind mothermucker, and says, "uh, no...sign here"...then maybe you'll get it? Probably not.

The only thing you've proven is that you cannot stand the fact that people actually enjoy modern corps. You also have not adequately responded to the videos I have posted even though I have given you the courtesy of a response to yours. So that proves that this is your personal rant and not a discussion.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2