A "Tradition Corps"? What do you think?

i spent every summer for YEARS on tour with many of these corps..also lower WC corps....we can keep our heads in the sand as far as support but it doesnt even come close to what many MIGHT think it is...want to really make a statement............dont out WC 1st fill seats at OC...talk about heads spinning....if people arent willing to get to a show earley travel to an OC show then ....check complaints at the door.......................................I knw some friends with a OC show at their back door and didnt go to spend their money at another time traveling to a wc show ...this isnt anything new either

1400 ( there about ) people is a success?...what did that pay for ( not much ) WGI regional gets more than that.....sure its up i think maybe 100 but still isnt doing a thing....

their numbers:

The two-day paid attendance total for Open Class World Championship events in Michigan City, Ind. (Aug. 6-7) came in at 1,415, an increase from the previous year, up from 1,308 in 2012.

I

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=5bd83bc2-2fd0-43df-b3eb-1808c64d4ecd#ixzz2uxA5iqYX

.........................................................................................................

I don't dispute the headline to which you link, but that's the point, isn't it?

So put OC WHERE THE FANS ARE!!!!!!

Is that so hard to comprehend? The last few years in Indy on Thursdays shows that the concept works.

Again, is DCI the promotional arm for ONLY World Class or the Top-12? They're learning that Thursdays in Indy can prove profitable and offer OC exposure because THAT'S WHERE THE FANS ARE!

It's not hard to figure.

.........................................................................................................

I don't dispute the headline to which you link, but that's the point, isn't it?

So put OC WHERE THE FANS ARE!!!!!!

Is that so hard to comprehend? The last few years in Indy on Thursdays shows that the concept works.

Again, is DCI the promotional arm for ONLY World Class or the Top-12? They're learning that Thursdays in Indy can prove profitable and offer OC exposure because THAT'S WHERE THE FANS ARE!

It's not hard to figure.

I agree..make it easier....will it make a difference?....well history has shown no...If you put them ALL in the exact same place even the same day.....watch the difference in attendance.....youre missing when I say even with fans right there....its not supported like it has to be to make any kind of a difference

Edited by GUARDLING

I agree..make it easier....will it make a difference?....well history has shown no...If you put them ALL in the exact same place even the same day.....watch the difference in attendance.....youre missing when I say even with fans right there....its not supported like it has to be to make any kind of a difference

So, a little exposure (or more) is no different that no exposure?

Sorry, don't buy that.

So, a little exposure (or more) is no different that no exposure?

Sorry, don't buy that.

sure it is.............................so give a little ...put a band aid on it...get 50 more in the audience.......................does that fix anything?.....put pressure on DCI to see how viable OC can be and you can bet they would be doing alot more.................if WGI lost HS Aclass..there would be no WGI for the big guys.............at least not what it is now

Edited by GUARDLING

this is fact although many seem to want to challenge this or 1 or 2 will come forward and profess their support......If i remember correctly ..didnt you march OC at 1 time.....I sort of remember you saying you also performed to zero in the audience

2 years, and empty stadiums suck. Even at Open Class only shows, people wouldn't filter in until the higher ranking OC corps came on. Which is why as a fan, I show up at the National Anthem, and leave after the encore and last score is announced. The kids deserve it, because I know what it's like.

• Like 1

2 years, and empty stadiums suck. Even at Open Class only shows, people wouldn't filter in until the higher ranking OC corps came on. Which is why as a fan, I show up at the National Anthem, and leave after the encore and last score is announced. The kids deserve it, because I know what it's like.

yet there are many here that think its something different..........................why listen to someone who actually experienced it from a member standpoint...lol...oh well :wall: .........if more actually DO what you do then maybe OC would be look at differently......until then talk is just talk...action is needed to make any difference

Edited by GUARDLING

As someone who attends WC and Open Class shows, I agree with Mike D's comments and do not think people who attend WC shows would be happy with smaller corps with 28-40 in the horn line. The only exception of a WC corps that I can think of would be BAC in the late 70's/early 80's but that was only tolerated out of respect for their pluck and determination and for the size it was quite a powerful group. And yes there are a few smaller WC corps such a s Pioneer and Cascades and they are well received, but at Allentown some people are still walking round when the smaller corps perform and at prelims, many do not arrive at shows in Indy until after 5 PM when the WC corps ranked 15 and higher perform. In my opinion they've missed some great shows and as someone who has to travel to get to Indy as do many others, I'm not sure why you'd make the trip and not try and enjoy every minute.

Mike D is correct when he speaks of low attendance at OC shows and there are many reasons for low attendance that belongs more on the Open Class threads than a WC thread, although I think it drives home a point often mentioned in threads--many of those who complain do not support the activity financially or by attending shows. Perhaps before really scathing comments appears on DCP, copies of ticket stubs, credit card receipts from corps souvenir booths, and a copy of income tax returns to show donations to favorite corps which are tax deductions. This could only be overridden by volunteer hours with a corps or current marching experience, but I digress.

Recently I had to look up some numbers from the Department of Education and I believe there are approximately 25,000 public high schools and 10,000 private high schools, though to me the number of public high schools seems low and the number of private high schools seems high. There are not 35,000 music programs that could do and would be bored with what BD, Phantom, Star, SCV, 27th, etc. did in the past. Keep in mind I am also someone who believes that the shows of the past cannot be done again, but not because the ship has sailed. We will never see "Spartacus." "E=MC2," or "Angels and Demons" either. The time, the people involved, and the styles are what made past shows great as well as present shows great. However, with so many high schools and high school musicians, while it is highly unlikely it is not impossible that there would be 128 kids who might like to march in a drum corps called "Tradition." I do not think the goals would be accomplished, I don't think fans of past shows would be teary eyed as the old shows were recreated, and unless they were exhibition only, I don't think they would do well competitively.

One more note regarding kinds not wanting to join. I love travelling to Colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown, and the fife and drum corps make the experience. Now playing colonial tunes, marching like colonial soldiers, all while dealing with rude tourists who get in the way of your formations for a photo op (do you really think a selfie with a colonial background makes you look good?), doesn't sound to me like a great time. However, the kids are passionate about what they do, they do it well, the training is rigorous (in Williamsburg many are also colonial characters, especially during the summer months) and keeping a spot is very competitive and unlike the other reenactors, all but the director of the fife and rum corps are unpaid. Some do it because they love history, others do it because they love to perform, but there's a waiting lost of young people who want to join. You never know what interests people, especially high school students.

i think your last paragraph is what i'm suggesting. Current DCI fans will not support a corps with 28 bugles. I realize thatDCI is now like a broadway extravaganza mixed with the WVU marching band (size reference). But once DCI becomes band in name as well as fact i think that may leave a niche area for small, low cost, 'pure' drum and bugle corps. Fife and drum corps survive. Drum and baton corps survive. Will it ever be big like the 70s: i doubt it. Neither will DCI for that matter. But i think there is a market for a low cost, low overhead drum and bugle corps circuit. Not every kid has 3k in tuition fee or the travel time, commitment, etc of DCI. . , Open class doesn't draw well now because its in the shadow of WC. Im talking about something that is not associated with DCI nor attempts to market to that audience. Remember drum and bugle corps long predated DCI and i suspect may survive its passing (or further transition)

Maybe its time for OC to abandon DCI and seek different alternatives. DCA for weekend show & mini tours among themselves to give that element of the experience. Mandatory cost cutting- limit size & pit expenditures? DCI has mainly served a few for very many years. Another example of the worthlessness of "trickle down" theory and practice.

Maybe its time for OC to abandon DCI and seek different alternatives. DCA for weekend show & mini tours among themselves to give that element of the experience. Mandatory cost cutting- limit size & pit expenditures? DCI has mainly served a few for very many years. Another example of the worthlessness of "trickle down" theory and practice.

Or time for fans to actually show up at the beginning of shows and give their support to everyone. We all decry the death of the little corps, but who is there to watch them, or purchase souvenirs from them?

• Like 1

Or time for fans to actually show up at the beginning of shows and give their support to everyone. We all decry the death of the little corps, but who is there to watch them, or purchase souvenirs from them?

:thumbup: ................its much easier to moan what OTHERS arent doing to help rather than step up and do something yourself......and why listen to an actual MM who experienced the LACK of support.....It really would be ok I guess if it wasnt supported BUT then DONT profess how the big 12 are the bad guys and take no responsibility.................well like i said its easier to point fingers.