A "Tradition Corps"? What do you think?

Actually, the DCI I&E is a pretty good comparison, as is Mini-Corps. .

A better comparison, imo is to observe the terrific response that the DCI Alumni Corps exhibition Corps have received at DCI Championships from both young and old alike most years. We say this in the context too that most of them that participate in these Alumni Corps are not in their prime of physical conditioning years, and do so under heavy family, time, practice and refinement of show restraints, etc to nonetheless still put on a pleasing show at Championships.

Edited by BRASSO

A better comparison, imo is to observe the terrific response that the DCI Alumni Corps exhibition Corps have received at DCI Championships from both young and old alike most years. We say this in the context too that most of them that participate in these Alumni Corps are not in their prime of physical conditioning years, and do so under heavy family, time, practice and refinement of show restraints, etc to nonetheless still put on a pleasing show at Championships.

But again, those are one-off performances. The original poster is talking about an *ongoing* corps playing old-style shows. I think there's a huge difference there.

• Like 1

You (and Jim) might also note that at no time in this thread have I ever stated my personal opinion on alumni corps one way or the other...

No not in this thread but in other threads you have made your feelings known about the Alumni show and those type of corps..

i guess it just all depends on what one considers a successful show.....10 people.....100...1000....5000.....25000........but there is a point where even if it serves a few....it doesnt make enough to open the gates...................this stuff costs and although it's very admirable to produce something for a min. amount of people if it doesnt pay the bills...it cant survive

There would never have been a "DCA Alumni Spectacular" if it did not make money for DCA.

Think so? I really doubt it does make money.....nothing against corps but Im pretty sure it doesnt......same like OC in DCI I ve been at shows with literally 100 people in the stands....how does that make money..sometimes the cost of having them just get built into have the rest of the show . Although I hear the alumni show in Plymouth Mass each year is pretty big..I hear its a fun outing and many go...at least coprs members do

Edited by GUARDLING

Like I stated before believe the Alumni proceeds go to the corps who participate. If nothing else it is an added event that people can choose to go to just like the I&E/Mini Corps Friday night. Beats the crap out of the days when DCA Prelims and Finals were the same day with no other events.

Interesting that no one has stated that I&E/Minis should not be held as that is a FREE event held at the stadium (Annapolis) and Convention Center (Rochester).

Talk about a money burner...... :sarcasm:

But again, those are one-off performances. The original poster is talking about an *ongoing* corps playing old-style shows. I think there's a huge difference there.

Actually, the OP asked above in his opening question " would it work ?", but never defined what he meant by " work ".. placement wise ? fan reception wise ? longevity wise ?. I replied above on the first page thread the myriad of reasons that such a DCI Corps would today be up against almost insurmountable odds to have it " work " in today's DCI, no matter how he might define success in it " working ". We then began on this thread to shift into the DCA Alumni Corps ( as you know, generally quite different than the vast majority of the DCI Alumni Corps) in its attendance and interest levels to attempt to bolster the position that 50-80 year olders in these units are a good barometer to utilize to see if 15-22 year olders working full time in the summers at practice could make such a DCI Corps " work ". Its a false canard to utilize the DCA Alumni Corps as any barometer at all in this, especially when the criticism was made about their " attendance " and in their " interest " level by YOU.. But when this comparison was 1st invoked and then made, then naturally I made such a comparison in " attendance " and in " interest " that you and a few others desired and brought into the discussion. So I did.. right above. And what we find is that there is higher attendance and higher interest among Drum Corps fans each and every year with watching ( and paying for the privlege )the DCA Alumni Corps performances in exhibitions on Sundays at 10am, than there is in attendance and in Drum Corps fan interest in watching ( with free admission ) DCI I & E competitions by DCI performers, performing in judged competition before DCI judges at DCI Championships week. Those are the facts, and it was you that brought into this thread the comparison of " attendance " and on fan " interest ". And so... there is your comparison that you wanted.

Edited by BRASSO

No not in this thread but in other threads you have made your feelings known about the Alumni show and those type of corps..

Have I questioned the quality of sound produced by some alumni corps? Absolutely. But the truth, Jim, is far from what you assume. I very much like a few alumni corps. Cabs Alumni, Bridgemen, and Park City Pride in particular. Those three I look forward to seeing at least once every summer.

You assume I hate all alumni corps because I've spoken the truth. Find some actual evidence....a sourced quote proving otherwise. Good luck with that.

Its a false canard to utilize the DCA Alumni Corps as any barometer at all in this, especially when the criticism was made it their " attendance " and in its " interest " level by YOU.. But when this comparison was 1st invoked and then made, then naturally I made such a comparison in " attendance " and in " interest " that you and a few others brought into the discussion. So I did.. right above.

I don't think it's at all a false canard. Is it a case of "X is Y so Z must also be Y"? No, certainly not. I do think it's nothing more than a thought exercise on the part of the OP though, because there's probably zero chance anyone would put together such and endeavor and even less chance any young people would participate in it (at least not any that have done corps or band).

That's different, I think. As others have said those are generally one-offs, and most had been built up as special "anniversary" years. I know I personally would get tired pretty quick of annually seeing those alumni corps events doing the same stuff every year.

Doesn't DCA do that type of stuff? If so, then why even bother with this discussion in regards to DCI World Class? If there is an audience for that type of programming, and DCA is serving that audience, then why try to bring it to DCI? Might as well say that DCA needs a lot more synths, vocals, and brass member ballet dancing