A "Tradition Corps"? What do you think?

I agree. Plus, for context, DCI has their I& E competitions ( not exhibitions ) of "the young " DCI'ers performed on outdoor sidewalks, in front of ice cream eating walk byers, curiousity seekers, and shoppers, etc,.. of all agers, and at no charge. These DCI young and supremely talented competitors involved in JUDGED COMPETITION and with the latest and newest instumentation, " modern " designs, & creativities, etc utilized in their competition, might find what ? 40-50 people tops in attendance numbers in their audience ?... and at no admission charge. So nobody should be criticizing the Alumni Spectacular EXHIBITION show attendance inside a stadium with PAID TICKET attendance on a Sunday Morning at 10 am. Good grief, its not like DCI is awash in public interest in their product offerings these days at Championships Week that they or their supporters can lecture anyone else on public interest and " attendance " at their Championships Week events.

I think the point is that while some people like the OP and others (esp those in some of the FB groups) wax on-and-on about the need for old-time drum corps, and how instantly wonderful and exciting it would be, where there IS such an event already in place, it is difficult to attract an audience.

If DCA, with its older demographic in attendance at shows, can't draw flies to their alumni show, why would anyone expect a similar DCI show to attract an audience, let alone marching members in sufficient number to make it viable?

Who the heck do most people think here are typically out there playing bingo at those bingo halls out in Concord, Calif. , for example ? What are their ages ? What do they do for work ? What things do they like ? Are the Bingo players there typically 24-30 year olders with Music Ed Degrees that marched DCI Drum Corps a few years ago ? Umn... I don't think so.

I would hazard a guess that those people are not remotely interested i drum corps; they are Bingo fans. That is how it was decades ago as well, when I used to help out at the Bingo a corps I was teaching used to run. It was primarily a gaggle of blue-haired ladies spreading out their 127 boards and watching with the zeal and skill of a hawk as the numbers were called.

While true, many, if not most, of the younger participants of DCI Corps arn't flocking back to become fans after they age out, or do it for a year or two. Heck. most of the fund raising to keep these modern Corps alive arn't coming from the 22-32 year olders, lets me honest here. Without the older Alums, even some of 'em that are the chronic complainers of modern day DCI, they'd be nobody in the stands, as these Corps wouldn't be around as it is to be there still competing.

Who the heck do most people think here are typically out there playing bingo at those bingo halls out in Concord, Calif. , for example ? What are their ages ? What do they do for work ? What things do they like ? Are the Bingo players there typically 24-30 year olders with Music Ed Degrees that marched DCI Drum Corps a few years ago ? Umn... I don't think so.

im talking about the younger alumni corps members wanting to bump up their musical selections beyond what many think are the good ole days...many say who says the past just consists of the 60s or 70s...the past and history also includes the 80s and 90s.................its alot of the same ole thinking of THAT WAS THE TRUE ERA

Edited by GUARDLING

I think it's difficult to compare the two, as one is a completely open, free solo and ensemble performance that is akin to a street performance, while the other is a paid admission in a stadium performance. It seems more logical to compare paid attendance to DCI Finals, DCA Finals and this alumni thing (which I know little/nothing about to be honest).

Actually, I don't think its fair to compare DCI and DCA at all regarding attendance, as they both have dissimilar mission statements,, budgets, cost structures, and so forth. If we want to compare " attendance" it is much more germane to compare DCI with DCI. in other words compare it with itself. For example, how many die hards were in live attendance at DCI Finals Nitre in the ( discredited in some cases here ) of 1981 in Montreal compared with 2013 in Indianapolis ? How many casual people saw the Finals on national TV in Montreal in 1981 ( either live or on or tape delayed ), compared the the numbers of both die hards AND casual DCI fans that saw the Finals off site at some other location ( live or tape delayed ) in 2013 in Indianapolis ?. In other words, compare DCI with something more similar... like itself. Thats more more instructive and worthwhile a comparison it would seem to me when we want to compare " old shows and attendance " and " modern shows and attendance" .

Edited by BRASSO

I would hazard a guess that those people are not remotely interested i drum corps; they are Bingo fans. That is how it was decades ago as well, when I used to help out at the Bingo a corps I was teaching used to run. It was primarily a gaggle of blue-haired ladies spreading out their 127 boards and watching with the zeal and skill of a hawk as the numbers were called.

Thats right. The people that keep the young and newer rock musicians and their newer rock groups on tour and profitable are primarily their newer and younger fans attracted to their newer and younger age group appealing music. The ones that keep the Blue Devils still in existence and still out on tour however are primarily ( your words ) " the gaggle of blue haired ladies spreading out their 127 boards and watching with the zeal and skill of a hawk as the numbers are beng called ". Without them, there are no Blue Devils. You prove my point.

Edited by BRASSO

If we want to compare " attendance" it is much more germane to compare DCI with DCI. in other words compare it with itself. For example, how many die hards were in live attendance at DCI Finals Nitre in the ( discredited in some cases here ) of 1981 in Montreal compared with 2013 in Indianapolis ? How many casual people saw the Finals on national TV in Montreal in 1981 ( either live or on or tape delayed ), compared the the numbers of both die hards AND casual DCI fans that saw the Finals off site at some other location ( live or tape delayed ) in 2013 in Indianapolis ?.

Well, no one saw the 1981 Montreal finals on TV - either live or tape delayed.

Well, no one saw the 1981 Montreal finals on TV - either live or tape delayed.

Why do you think believe this ?

The first year that DCI Finals was televised was in 1979 in Birmigham, Ala.

http://halftimemag.com/articles/07-2008/07-2008-sectionals/dci-on-tv.html

Edited by BRASSO

cixeksyd is correct...

The difference between Canadian and US TV standards kept the 1981 finals from Montreal from being broadcast.

From the DCI website...:

"...While complications with PBS broadcasting from Canada were worked out for the following year’s return to Montreal, the broadcast for 1981 had to originate from the DCI Midwest Finals in Whitewater, Wis., two weeks prior to the Montreal Finals..."

Thats right. The people that keep the young and newer rock musicians and their newer rock groups on tour and profitable are primarily their newer and younger fans attracted to their newer and younger age group appealing music. The ones that keep the Blue Devils still in existence and still out on tour however are primarily ( your words ) " the gaggle of blue haired ladies spreading out their 127 boards and watching with the zeal and skill of a hawk as the numbers are beng called ". Without them, there are no Blue Devils. You prove my point.

But they are not legacy drum corps fans either, which is what I thought you were saying...maybe incorrectly. They're Bingo players, period. It makes no difference to them who attends a drum corps show; they are just at the site to play Bingo.

actually it was 1975 in Philadelphia. 1981 was Whitewater instead of finals, and live didn't come back until i believe 84 from Atlanta. Ran til 95. Came back in 99 until 02