A "Tradition Corps"? What do you think?

For me (underscore - for me) - drum corps was lost when they went to Bb. I'm thinking, based on age of alumni - 70's and 80's. Don't know how many people in the stands marched in the 60's. And since you'd be hard-pressed to find video of anything in the 60's is another reason.

theres plenty from the 60s...it only puts people in the late 50s............................same with most of the judging as well as higher up designers....plenty still around as well as many of the innovators of today...the good and bad of it

Let's say a corps forms. This hypothetical corps is called "Tradition". They field 128 members and their SOLE PURPOSE is to perform OLD SHOWS. I'm talking - exactly true to the original - same score, same drill moves. For modernization sake, they have their own uniform, updated equipment (meaning they have a pit versus marching timpanis), they perform on G Bugles. The show could either be "an entire show" (for example 1980 Bridgeman) - or they would do combination (First they perform T.O.; then Elks Parade; then In the Stone; then Ice Castles. (Their end set would be the first set of the new song). This corps, called TRADITION, tours with it, competes (knowing they're not competitive) - however - they are a fan favorite in a big way (because it emotionally reaches, tributes history, alumni, tradition, etc;). Would this work? Would you like to see an organization be a tribute corps and exist among the ranks of touring drum corps? (I have a lot of free time on my hands today so mind is spinning).

When you ask "would it work ", define what you mean by it " working " ?.It wouldn't place well, then that would lead to automatic talent drain, which it turn would lead to more placement slide. Pioneer seems to come close to what you are seeking in my view. Their shows are fan friendly most years, and they are content to finish at or near the bottom. So it does " work" from a fan standpoint for those that like the old traditional stuff, but of course they are pretty much non competitive in the World Class, with no hopes of ever moving up, imo. But they seemingly know this, and it " ,works " for them, as well as for their loyal fans.. just as planned and intended. So " yes" it can work....it has "worked "in some cases, but you just have to understand that the definition of what " works " might be different between fans and even between Corps themselves.

Edited by BRASSO

Ever see those begathon public tv shows with those old groups from the 50's, or a Glenn Miller recreation, or a band dressed up in Seargent Pepper outifits doing a Beatles tribute? Fun for a minute, or maybe even for an hour. But in the end you know it's fake. Old time drum corps, like the aforementioned groups, existed in its time and place; difficult if not impossible to bring it back with any kind of real integrity or credibility.

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 1

I will be the first to admit I love the shows of the late 70's and early 80's, and I'd love to see them again, but I also know that even if the shows could be recreated, they would be missing the chemistry and energy that made those corps what they were, so the best way to recreate them is to watch the DVD's and download the MP3's of your favorite shows. I listen to my favorite shows at the gym, marching right along with 27th, North Star, vintage Madison, SCV, Sky Ryders, and the like, and more than a few contemporary shows .Of course within a few minutes on the treadmill, I realized that I aged out long ago.

Let's say a corps forms. This hypothetical corps is called "Tradition". They field 128 members and their SOLE PURPOSE is to perform OLD SHOWS. I'm talking - exactly true to the original - same score, same drill moves. For modernization sake, they have their own uniform, updated equipment (meaning they have a pit versus marching timpanis), they perform on G Bugles. The show could either be "an entire show" (for example 1980 Bridgeman) - or they would do combination (First they perform T.O.; then Elks Parade; then In the Stone; then Ice Castles. (Their end set would be the first set of the new song). This corps, called TRADITION, tours with it, competes (knowing they're not competitive) - however - they are a fan favorite in a big way (because it emotionally reaches, tributes history, alumni, tradition, etc;). Would this work? Would you like to see an organization be a tribute corps and exist among the ranks of touring drum corps? (I have a lot of free time on my hands today so mind is spinning).

Jersey Surf did it with their Bridgemen tribute show. It was fun.

Cabs did a 1975 Muchacho tribute show in 2002...it was one of their lower placements ever at DCA champs, placing 6th. You had to back to 1968 and 1969 to find a lower placement up to that year.

They are fun as novelty shows, but that is about it, IMO.

Alumni one-offs are a LOT of fun to watch, but to me that is because they are just out there performing for the fun of it without worrying about a score, and allowing people like me to harken back to when I saw the original competitive shows decades ago.

Why do you think a full-time tribute corps would be a "fan favorite" to the general audience member who was not around when the original was performed? I sat next to two folks my age (around 60) who were attending their first show ever they year Surf did the Bayonne tribute. They had no idea what the big deal was to the old-timers who were cheering them on, and they were not all that impressed, actually. Of course, that is just one anecdotal example.

• Like 1

How much of the general crowd is made up of alumni? The tribute shows I'm thinking of are replica's - meaning it's the same music and the same drill, the same guard routine. Taking this further - how awesome and educational would it be to the kids? Let's say the show for 2014 is 1979 Spirit of Atlanta. They learn about the history of Spirit, bring in actual old performing members of Spirit to talk and work with the kids, learn the stories, about Jim Ott. Also, since this tribute corps isn't going to pull the best of the best kids - couldn't it almost be a training ground - I mean the drill is so easy and the music not as difficult - it's almost a perfect landing place for the kids who didn't make Crown, Cadets, Devils, etc; Paying homage and respect to the history and legacy I think would make alumni feel relevant, proud, not forgotten and if anything just a break from what is, what's current. The fact there is no electronics would be reason enough to give a standing ovation before they played a single note.

Jersey Surf did it with their Bridgemen tribute show. It was fun.

I sat next to two folks my age (around 60) who were attending their first show ever they year Surf did the Bayonne tribute. They had no idea what the big deal was to the old-timers who were cheering them on, and they were not all that impressed, actually. Of course, that is just one anecdotal example.

My experience was COMPLETELY the opposite. I took 3 people, Mother, Father( both late 40's.. college degreed, professionals, but not Music Majors ) and their 15 year old daughter to ther first show ever in Lawrence Ma in August two years ago. and all 3 of them loved the Jersey Surf show, and all 3 wanted to know why Jersey Surf didn't win the show or place much higher as they seemed to be one of their favorite of the night that they loved and the crowed loved. I made a feeble attempt to explain execution, demand, complexity, etc and all that stuff that I could tell that too much info might have their eyes roll back in their heads, so I kept it simple. They seemed to get what I told them regarding all the rationale re the scores and. placements that nite.. but Jersey Surfs show was still the hit of the night for them( they had never heard of the Bridgemen, by the way ). The young in attendance at this show appeared to me to like the Jersey Surf show as much as, if not more so. so than " the old timers " I certainly witnessed no generational divide at this show.So it just goes to show you that one person's observations at a show may be entirely different from other's experiences at another show. That said, it would be foolish to not believe that Jersey Surf was not a fun and enjoyable show for most national audience show goers in 2012. We have the Fan Network verifiability as well as the 2012reviews in the archives from the DCP show reviewers on here, as well as the written reviews from Drum Corps Planet as well as the on air comments from Dennis Deluca, Steve Rondinaro, and other public observations and assessments to draw the conclusion as to whether or not Jersey Surf's show in 2012 was a hit or not with audiences in 2012 . And it WAS a hit. But you are also on record on here as stating that the Blue Knights " Avian " show from 2012 was" one of my favorite shows ever in DCI"... and for you it was, and perhaps a handful of others in your circle as well. Thats cool too. But even all the DCI judges had problems with that show as it was this fine Corps 9th lowest score at Finals in the last 10 years with it. But scores and placements, execution, demand, level of originnality, etc are totally meaningless when it comes to what we personally enjoy. Your assessment of the 10th place finishing 2012 BK show as one of your" most enjoyable DCI shows ever" is also a perfect illustration of this as well.

Edited by BRASSO

My experience was completely the opposite. I took 3 people, Mother, Father( both late 40's ) and their 15 year old daughter to a show in Lawrence Ma. and all 3 of them loved the show, and all 3 wanted to know why they didn't win the show or place much higher as they seemed to be one of the favorites that they loved and the crowed loved. I made a feeble attempt to explain execution, demand, complexity, etc and all that stuff that I could tell that too much info might have their eyes rolll back in their heads, so I kept it simple. They seemed to get what I told them.. but Jersey Surfs show was the hit of the night for them( they had never heard of the Bridgemen, by the way ). So it just goes to show you that one person's observations around them may be entirely different from other's experiences.

Which is why I ended with "Of course, that is just one anecdotal example.".

• Like 1