1984 US Open

Ah... Not senile yet. I remember being pretty happy to make finals!

I think you're right about Columbus, Ray. I know the finals were held in Columbus in '81 (prelims were still in Marion). I believe the finals were held in Columbus several other years after that. I know Garfield was disqualified for messing up the field in Columbus (I'm fairly certain that was in '83.)

I also know the Columbus scoreboard took a direct hit by lightning at finals one year. As for the Glassmen....it was 1994 when they played "Nights in White Satin".

OK, I would have been back there with Boston by that time. Honest, it does get confusing 2 and 3 decades (and 3 corps) later.

I just remember them out there playing "Nights" and really liking what they were doing, although I was watching from the sidelines...

My biggest memory of US Open is one year I wasn't even in the Country - in 1972 while I was in Viet Nam, my older brother Frank (Buzzy - a snare drummer with the Oceanside Legionaires) got married the day of the US Open. My younger brother was playing in St Rita's Brassmen from Brooklyn.

My mom called him to come down and he didn't answer so she went upstairs to find a note asking for forgiveness, but he just couldn't miss the US Open and had gone out the window the night before.

He's a college professor now and pretty sedate, but at 18 I think the show was just too important for him to miss.

That's the story I heard from 14,000 miles away, anyway.

1972 was special for me too as it was my first ever big" show. Spending prelims with the"older guys" in our corps and watching 30 corps in one day is stll etched in my mind.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

US Open '84: One of SCV's better shows that year; I think that was the one where the Marine D&BC was rooting for us in the back stands. I still have the patch from that show somewhere.