Stuck In A Rut

Brasso,

I'm pretty surprised that you don't recall two corps ever doing the same music in the same year. If you're twisting words, then nevermind.

Go back and reread his question. He did not ask me (or us) " the same music ". He asked me ( or us ) " the same show ". They are not the same thing at all.. I did not engage in " twisting words". It appears you did not fully comprehend his words, ie his question. I responded to the actual question he asked me ( or us ), not to a question he did not ask me ( or us) .

Edited by BRASSO

Brasso,

I'm pretty surprised that you don't recall two corps ever doing the same music in the same year. If you're twisting words, then nevermind.

There have been MANY instances where corps have played the same music in the same year.

Bluecoats -> Crossmen 90 = Caravan

The Cadets -> Blue Knights 1990 = Bernstein's Mass

Madison Scouts -> Blue Devils 93 = Strawberry Soup

Carolina Crown -> Marauders =Mass ( from La Fiesta Mexicana)

SCV -> Crossmen 99 = Blue Shades

Glassmen -> Trooper 02 = Javelin

The Cadets -> Boston Crusaders 03 = Malaguena

Bluecoats -> Cascades 03 = Libertango

Blue Devils -> Cascades 05 = Redline Tango

Blue Devils -> Phantom Regiment -> Blue Stars 07 = Firebird Suite

Crown -> The Cadets 08 = Appalachian Spring

SCV -> Blue Knights 08 = Cloudburst

SCV -> Bluecoats 12 = Music from Phantom of the Opera

There have also been some years where two corps have presented an entire show with the same music, but with a different interpretation.

Madison Scouts 1991 -> Dutch Boy 1991 =City of Angels

The Cadets -> Troopers 09 = West Side Story

Best year for multiple takes on the same music is 1979. The following corps played Chuck Mangione's"Children of Sanchez": Cavaliers, North Star, Blue Stars, Cadets, Bengal Lancers, Bleu Raeders and the Eye-Openers. The first three here were in finals. North Star was my favorite version, mostly because of their monster soprano soloist.

• Like 1

Best year for multiple takes on the same music is 1979. The following corps played Chuck Mangione's"Children of Sanchez": Cavaliers, North Star, Blue Stars, Cadets, Bengal Lancers, Bleu Raeders and the Eye-Openers. The first three here were in finals. North Star was my favorite version, mostly because of their monster soprano soloist.

Man... it seemed like 100 corps played that tune that year!!! LOL

Brasso,

There have also been some years where two corps have presented an entire show with the same music, but with a different interpretation.

Madison Scouts 1991 -> Dutch Boy 1991 =City of Angels

The Cadets -> Troopers 09 = West Side Story

Good find, jjeffeory. These are indeed 2 good examples of 2 Corps doing the same themed show in the same year, albeit with different interpretations as you correctly pointed out.. I do not see them as problematic for either Corps in either year, so my answer to Fsubone above would be " no problem if 2 Corps did the same theme in a given year", as 2 Corps did so as recently as 2009 without much fan complaint it seems to me". ( I have no idea if Fsubone brought this up because such a same themed show as recently as 2009 was problematic in some way for him. He'd have to address that if it was. But I see no problem with it for me. )

Edited by BRASSO

Best year for multiple takes on the same music is 1979. The following corps played Chuck Mangione's"Children of Sanchez": Cavaliers, North Star, Blue Stars, Cadets, Bengal Lancers, Bleu Raeders and the Eye-Openers.The first three here were in finals. North Star was my favorite version, mostly because of their monster soprano soloist.

Jerry Noonan was the name of the legendary DCI soprano soloist. He was one of the best ever, imo. You are correct he was in the North Star, and that they were one of the Corps that played " Children of Sanchez ".( each quite different in its rendition by each Corps, by the way for those unfamiliar. )

And its fitting that you should mention DCI 3 year consecutive finalist qualifyer North Star, quietcity. I heard a birdie chirping in my ear that there may be some positive news imminently surfacing re. the North Star Corps ( and Jerry Noonan). Stay tuned.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't want to see them go away... but I think it would be a welcome change of pace for a corps to not do one from time to time.

Not sure an audience needs a "breather" during an exciting, fast-paced, entertaining show. An audience member can use an entire corps as a "breather" if he or she wants. LOL.

Well in 2000, we didn't really have a "ballad" per se, although that small part of Reflections of Earth could be considered a short ballad. Honestly, after Clocks and Chaos, that "ballad" was a relief from all that freneticism.

• Like 1

I think it's you guys who are stuck in a rut!

I love all the innovative stuff that corps are doing now days. it's so fresh and entertaining. I was around in the old days and now I think things are so innovative this will be the new golden age!

Y'all still have your old VHS tapes. Go watch them and cry into your beer.

• Like 5

when I marched, back in the day, even though our drills were nowhere near the velocity and sheer physical demand of today's stuff, we welcomed the "standstill" concert number for that very same reason.

But it just seems there is such a formulaic nature to so many shows.

Its different, thats all. The earlier DCI years did had a year or two where a handful of corps did play one song. But this was the Musical Age of DCI where Music trumped the Visual, Guard on the judging sheets. Today, with the Visual Age of DCI in full view, few can deny that we now see at least 12 or more Visual moves made almost identically each year between the Corps in their physical movements in performance. I mean, we should be able to agree here right ?.. ( for just one example ) that many of the drum lines do many of the same visual/ body moves in their show ?. These are not different interpretations of the same visual/ body moves either ( although there is SOME of that difference in interpretation in some cases )Much of the visual and body moves we oftentimes see between Corps are absolutely and totally identical between some of the competing Corps in performance, and observed in the succeeding years too.. So we observe this identical visual/ body moves by between 8-12 Corps each season now in this Visual Age in the context of an earlier Musical Age when perhaps a song was played ( with a different rendition ) among a much smaller handful of Corps doing so perhaps in a year or two. We also observe this in the context that there were many more Corps in the 70's and 80's where such a song selection occurance was far more likely to occur with a song selection than today's duplication in a song selection among much fewe numbers of Corps..

Edited by BRASSO

Go back and reread his question. He did not ask me (or us) " the same music ". He asked me ( or us ) " the same show ". They are not the same thing at all.. I did not engage in " twisting words". It appears you did not fully comprehend his words, ie his question. I responded to the actual question he asked me ( or us ), not to a question he did not ask me ( or us) .

I got it. This is exactly what I thought.

It's sorta about the subtext.

Kinda like the letter of the law versus the spirit of the law.

Well, this is why words mean things. Sometimes we have to be clear about what we're saying, especially when we're all " funnin' " .

I can see how you'd not be sure what was meant.

I took it to mean:

1) ALL the same theme and music such as two corps playing Firebird in the same year or two Westside Story corps in one year... or;

2) Some of the same music, such as one song or piece being done by two separate corps in the same year.

Of course it could have been interpreted as:

Two corps playing the exact same music, drill, and guard work in the same year.

Its different, thats all. The earlier DCI years did had a year or two where a handful of corps did play one song. But this was the Musical Age of DCI where Music trumped the Visual, Guard on the judging sheets. Today, with the Visual Age of DCI in full view, few can deny that we now see at least a 12 Visual moves made almost identically each year between the Corps in their physical movements in performance. I mean, we should be able to agree here right ?.. ( for just one example ) that many of the drum lines do many of the same visual/ body moves in their show. They are not different interpretations of the same visual/ body moves either ( although there is SOME of that difference in interpretation in some cases )Much of the visual and body moves we oftentimes see between Corps are absolutely and totally identical between some of the competing Corps, and in each succeeding years too.. So we observe this identical visual/ body moves by between 8-12 Corps each season now in this Visual Age in the context of an earlier Musical Age when perhaps a song was played ( with a different rendition ) among a much smaller handful of Corps doing so perhaps in a year or two. We also observe this in the context that there were many more Corps in the 70's and 80's where such a song selection occurance was far more likely to occur in a song than today duplication in a song selection.

You're correct Brasso, there are TONS of similar, seemingly compulsury visuals performed by many corps these days. Everybody squats for example. At this point the innovative thing would be for a corps to come out and NOT squat in their show.

• Like 2