Stuck In A Rut

I think Cadets are in a rut pretty bad. Design-wise, they seem to be spinning their wheels trying to find an approach that will keep them in the title hunt every year (Crown and BD seem to have that figured out, though of course peformance quality, number of age outs, etc. is a big factor as well). Visually, and to some extent musically, since 2007, they seem to be recycling the same vocabulary of moves from the late 90s/early 2000s. 2007 was essentially 2000+1998 with 30 seconds of narration on top, and 2008 wasn't far off except with the prop and all.

Not sure I would say Cadets are in a "bad rut". I would like to see them lead in the visual arena as they did in the past. They won the music caption last year so not too worried about the components just the "concept". As far as props, we'll see if stages actually make it to the show. They are well aware the "towers" cost them possibly a silver medal last year by dragging down visual proficiency and guard scores.

I agree.... if every corps were doing that.

But I really think a corps would stand out if it came out with a no-ballad show. They would be doing something no one else is currently doing.

It would definitely be interesting, no doubt. Even seven minute WGI shows typically have down moments though. It would be gutsy and pretty different; maybe the effect and performance scores would overcompensate for the perceived lack of pacing or tempo variety

I think Cadets are in a rut pretty bad.

They may never recover, their " rut " is so "bad" . ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO

Are there any corps out there who you feel are sort of stuck in a rut creatively and could use a bit of a makeover? A fresh approach? An opportunity

How about the current DCI Judges and Judging criteria ?.. do you think it might perhaps be " in a rut " ?. I have nothing against DCI Judges judigng Championships Week in 2013, that were judging Championships Week in 1974, but don't we think its time to get some fresh eyes, fresh ears judging these shows ? I mean , some of the guys and gals judging these shows ( all good people ) have been judging shows since before Man walked on the Moon. Even the guys doing commentary at Championships in the booth are getting a little long in the tooth, no ? Does DCI have anyone thats not on the periodic AARP mailing list that can judge these shows, give commentary on these shows, that they can add to all these school system retirees that are doing it now ? Talk about needed " change ". How about some new blood ? Or are we happy with the DCI Judging system and an apparent status quo " rut " when it comes to THIS ?

Edited by BRASSO

What's this rut of which you speak? Now that Any brass instrument can be used in SMB, there should be no band in a rut anymore. The design vistas are wide open. Go forth and amaze!

How about the current DCI Judges and Judging criteria ?.. do you think it might perhaps be " in a rut " ?. I have nothing against DCI Judges judigng Championships Week in 2013, that were judging Championships Week in 1974, but don't we think its time to get some fresh eyes, fresh ears judging these shows ? I mean , some of the guys and gals judging these shows ( all good people ) have been judging shows since before Man walked on the Moon. Even the guys doing commentary at Championships in the booth are getting a little long in the tooth, no ? Does DCI have anyone thats not on the periodic AARP mailing list that can judge these shows, give commentary on these shows, that they can add to all these school system retirees that are doing it now ? Talk about needed " change ". How about some new blood ? Or are we happy with the DCI Judging system and an apparent status quo " rut " when it comes to THIS ?

YES!!!..i agree..but there are 2 sides of this coin...DCI judges ( and not all good IMO) have embedded themselves and protected their positions totally and in many ways WGI is full of this also...maybe worse.....very much some of the same people....problem is also..many young people dont want to to this...I judged many times on and off in all arenas and my own piers said to why the hell would you want to do that. Also the instructor that comes out today is very different from the staff person of the past...the good and bad of that.....many staff now are very specialized in what they do not like us from the past who were forced to know almost everything and be able to teach it..its not like that with most today....ive always said i welcome some 20 something to knock me off my perch ..as they should,...well like many others ...were still here...the good and bad of that..lol

BUT YES..you are 100% right

Edited by GUARDLING

I don't think ballads are bad.......I think groups at times just need to find ways to make them a bit more interesting with how they present it. Cadet 05' "Dancer In the Dark", imo, was a great example of how to maintain the audiences interest the entire way through. It may be my favorite part of that show.

Edited by dbg

While maybe not a "rut," I believe the Troopers are caught between a rock and a hard place. I (and many others, obviously) both recognize and respect their commitment to tradition. Such is much more than admirable in this age of "going with the flow," and doing what is required simply for the matter of public and DCI praise/respect/admiration. However, I also know that with the myriad of complications that confront a Corps which is based in what many perceive to be, even in the 21st century, a "backwoods" or excessively rural area, a great hindrance in further developing a competitive Drum Corps is difficult. While it would be easy to succumb to the more trivial modern desire for more "accessible" music (usually meaning "music that is current/hip/popular/cool/hot off the classical drum corps charts), they have paved their way through what it is that THIER tradition dictates what they represent. I suppose in the end, it comes down to a question of "Do we wish to be what we have always been and represented, or do we wish to prostitute ourselves, and our beliefs, simply for the sake of being a one-year number one." If this is a rut, than so be it. But in this mind (mine, and mine alone), I'll admire a commitment to an ideal, reputation, or representation FAR OVER a gold, silver, or bronze medal...any day, week, month, or year. If there is ever a rut in which to exist in a good way -- it is this one.

One final statement: I, in no way, shape, or form speak for any singular or organizational member of the Casper Troopers. I am simply a fan. A long-standing fan. But simply a fan, nevertheless.

Edited by HornTeacher

hmmm....ruts...

1. Madison Scouts. Their identity and brotherhood extremely strong and it seems every year they do something that hits home with a vast majority of fans, lately they strike an emotional chord that leaves me just awed and inspired, such as in 2010 when that amazing soloist did the intro to Rhapsody in Blue, in 2011 a tribute to 9/11 featuring some of the loudest and well balanced sound I have heard from them in years, 2012 they did the singing choral and closed their show to the complete 90 degree turn and push forward the the sideline, and this last year celebrating their roots and once again drove it home to "Never Walk Alone".However, they can't seem to break into the top six despite these factors. I'm not positive how they could fix it, even looking at their recaps it's hard to discern what could send them back into higher rankings...

2. Cavaliers---From what I've read on different threads most of their rut was caused by their drill designer retiring after their 2011 show. I don't know if that's true but something must have made a big enough impact that they went from 3rd place in 2011 to 8th in 2012 and 7th in 2013.They still have that huge deep brass sound and their guard was fun to watch and they also have a huge fan basis....again I'm not sure what could get them out of the rut.....

3. Blue Devils------This has nothing to do with their abilities, because let's face it, they are good and have such a history of achievements it's insane. However, their rut, IMO, is having such a diminished number of fans. Especially these last two years going up against Crown's more fan pleasing shows. I haven't liked any of their shows after 2009 show 1930. I think they need to take a look at their roots and design a show that a larger number fan's will like. I think they may do that this coming year though. When it was announced that they got the silver the fan reaction was just unbelievable, which was nothing compared to the reaction of actually hearing Crown be called the champions. Blue Devil's are smart enough that hearing the fans' reaction didn't mean everyone was glad Blue Devils lost, but Crown won. It was unmistakable that if they want to have that positive of a reaction again they need to do something different with their show's to bring fans back to them.........

All this was IMO, so please don't get hostile with me!

• Like 1

hmmm....ruts...

1. Madison Scouts. Their identity and brotherhood extremely strong and it seems every year they do something that hits home with a vast majority of fans, lately they strike an emotional chord that leaves me just awed and inspired, such as in 2010 when that amazing soloist did the intro to Rhapsody in Blue, in 2011 a tribute to 9/11 featuring some of the loudest and well balanced sound I have heard from them in years, 2012 they did the singing choral and closed their show to the complete 90 degree turn and push forward the the sideline, and this last year celebrating their roots and once again drove it home to "Never Walk Alone".However, they can't seem to break into the top six despite these factors. I'm not positive how they could fix it, even looking at their recaps it's hard to discern what could send them back into higher rankings...

Their visual design just isn't at a Top 6 level yet, even though the rest of the show design is. They have a design that gets them to Atlanta and then plateaus. It's happened the last four years, they start out hot, and then slow down into Finals week. Just needs a more difficult visual package that takes until August to clean and perfect. Could be the jump they need.