Stuck In A Rut

I agree and disagree with this statement. When you're in the audience, ballads can sometimes seem boring if not done with the effect of pulling you in. But if you're the performer, when running around most of the show, that ballad gives you some time to take a "breather."

So glad you clarified this, as it has more gravitas coming from an actual MM. Ballads are a way to show off the choral quality of the hornline, as most of them have the percussion (at least the battery) in tacit mode (and I'm a percussionist). Last year was a great example with Crown, but every year, every show, while the MM's are catching their breath, the fans are usually treated to a hornline quality and balance that is rarely evident throughout the rest of the show.

I hope ballads never go away. And don't forget - fans need to catch their breath, too. Cadets 2011 was a prime example, and the ballad was an integral part of the show theme.

Are there any corps out there who you feel are sort of stuck in a rut creatively and could use a bit of a makeover? A fresh approach? An opportunity to reinvent themselves and turn the page? And if so, how would you like to see that makeover manifest itself?

I have a few in mind, but I'm eager to know what DCP thinks before I jump in with my opinions.

(If you're going to single out specific designers or directors, please try to avoid being nasty or making it personal.)

Blue Devils. They used to wow the crowd with their music.. 'never knew this corps to get essentially golf claps like they have of late with audiences.

Edited by BRASSO

Phantom. There is some great classical music out there they can do

Like Nikolai Rimsky- Korsakov's " Scheherazade", perhaps ?

Like Nikolai Rimsky- Korsakov's " Scheherazade", perhaps ?

Well, would you want to see two corps do the same show in a year?

Probably not. Thankfully, I don't have to make that sort of speculation because I don't recall two Corps ever doing the same show in the same competive circuit in the same year, so I really don't have a frame of reference. But if two Corps did the same show in a year that would be something to compare the visuals, I suppose. But two Corps with the same theme and, music show in the same year in the same Corps circuit sure would be setting a new precedent if nothing else. But that'd something new for the activity. However, I seriously doubt we'll ever see this the future. The chances seem slim to none to me..... so its not something I have to contemplate on frankly.

Edited by BRASSO

Blue Devils. They used to wow the crowd with their music.. 'never knew this corps to get essentially golf claps like they have of late with audiences.

I get how some feel this way BUT I got to say in 2011 the second the 1st note of music came out( AT CHAMPIONSHIPS), I literally stopped in my tracks..what a full beautiful sound.....like none other...and Im not a Bert Bach. lover.............at all !!!!!!...it was breathtaking IMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

I get how some feel this way BUT I got to say in 2011 the second the 1st note of music came out( AT CHAMPIONSHIPS), I literally stopped in my tracks..what a full beautiful sound.....like none other...and Im not a Bert Bach. lover.............at all !!!!!!...it was breathtaking IMO

Yes, but thats different.. I'm referring to how BD used to wow many in the audience, and the audience positive reception easily noticable and palatable, but clearly that has not been the case of late with BD. Remember also, the OP here is asking us to compare Corps with itself, ie.. earlier versions vs. current versions. This is what I am responding to, and why I believe that BD is a good example of a Corps, imo, that could use ( as the OP asked ) " a makeover ". I'd love for the Blue Devils to wow audiences( especially musically ) again like they used to. Sure, they execute and perform well ( they have done so for decades ), but thats not what I'm referring to here.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Yes, but thats different.. I'm referring to how BD used to wow many in the audience, and the audience positive reception easily noticable and palatable, but clearly that has not been the case of late with BD. Remember also, the OP here is asking us to compare Corps with itself, ie.. earlier versions vs. current versions.

i remember those good ole days also..I loved it ! BUT also feel that BD can easily go back to a few things ( hint hint ) BUTin a weird way i also feel that they are almost forced to be different, obscure, exploring,..it has become their thing..I personally dont mind it at all....Also I do remember a few shows , like the one I spoke of that many talked about the golf claps...I was also there and it was FAR from golf claps...far from it...........guess noone can say they are stuck in a rut..unless you want to call the recent approach being stuck....I guess one could...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

It's happened in the past. It was ok to see the different takes on the same music. I mean they were different shows with different arrangements of the music, different drill, and different guard books. It was interesting to see actually.

There have been MANY instances where corps have played the same piece in a year.

There have also been some years where two corps have presented an entire show with the same music.

Edited by jjeffeory

BUTin a weird way i also feel that they are almost forced to be different, obscure, exploring,..it has become their thing..

I've never found BD to be a Corps that is not " different ",.. " exploring "... " creative ", and all that. Even in their eartlier days they were willing to try and be an innovator, a leader, etc.. that part has not changed, nor do I hope that it ever does with BD. There is nothing that says that one has to be " obscure " to win a DCI Title either. Being creative, and entertaining , and placing high can still be accomplished without many in the audience feeling less than fully satisfied in the show from a Corps so clearly chock full of top tier talent all across the board.