Stuck In A Rut

It's happened in the past.

Thats news to me. He asked if we wanted to see two Corps do the same show in the same year. In all my years, I've never seen nor heard of such a thing frankly. When have two Corps ever done the same show in the same year ? What year(s), and what two Corps ? In the same competitive circuit ?:.., in the same year ? The same musical themed show ? I don't believe so. I've never heard of such a thing anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

I've never found BD to be a Corps that is not " different ",.. " exploring "... " creative ", and all that. Even in their eartlier days they were willing to try and be an innovator, a leader, etc.. that part has not changed, nor do I hope that it ever does with BD. There is nothing that says that one has to be " obscure " to win a DCI Title either. Being creative, and entertaining , and placing high can still be accomplished without many in the audience feeling less than fully satisfied in the show from a Corps so clearly chock full of top tier talent all across the board.

2011 did tHAT imo BUT i think as with many corps..they were predictable.( not that it wasnt good...it was ).you knew the jazz, the artists, but then again you also knew what others were going to do also...well some ..anyway.....I think many corps can get stuck in a rut...when a corps has a positive response or a good placement one tends to try to repeat , not always with success

Edited by GUARDLING

Trying to come up with groups that I thought were stuck in creative ruts, two corps kept popping in my head that I feel aren't stuck...

I've really enjoyed every one of the Bluecoats show concepts/music choices since 2009.

Each time has been very intriguing and different for me.

And really love Blue Knights designs since "English Folk Songs". Just bouncing all over place...!

I've never found BD to be a Corps that is not " different ",.. " exploring "... " creative ", and all that. Even in their eartlier days they were willing to try and be an innovator, a leader, etc.. that part has not changed, nor do I hope that it ever does with BD. There is nothing that says that one has to be " obscure " to win a DCI Title either. Being creative, and entertaining , and placing high can still be accomplished without many in the audience feeling less than fully satisfied in the show from a Corps so clearly chock full of top tier talent all across the board.

Well said.

So glad you clarified this, as it has more gravitas coming from an actual MM. Ballads are a way to show off the choral quality of the hornline, as most of them have the percussion (at least the battery) in tacit mode (and I'm a percussionist). Last year was a great example with Crown, but every year, every show, while the MM's are catching their breath, the fans are usually treated to a hornline quality and balance that is rarely evident throughout the rest of the show.

I hope ballads never go away. And don't forget - fans need to catch their breath, too. Cadets 2011 was a prime example, and the ballad was an integral part of the show theme.

I still say Cadets 1998 "Canterbury Chorale" is my most favorite ballad.

Blue Devils. They used to wow the crowd with their music.. 'never knew this corps to get essentially golf claps like they have of late with audiences.

One could argue that the BD shows of late are trying to be so innovative year after year that they are no longer innovative - the weird and esoteric for them has become mundane and repetitive.
  • Like 2

Probably not. Thankfully, I don't have to make that sort of speculation because I don't recall two Corps ever doing the same show in the same competive circuit in the same year, so I really don't have a frame of reference. But if two Corps did the same show in a year that would be something to compare the visuals, I suppose. But two Corps with the same theme and, music show in the same year in the same Corps circuit sure would be setting a new precedent if nothing else. But that'd something new for the activity. However, I seriously doubt we'll ever see this the future. The chances seem slim to none to me..... so its not something I have to contemplate on frankly.

Brasso,

I'm pretty surprised that you don't recall two corps ever doing the same music in the same year. If you're twisting words, then nevermind.

There have been MANY instances where corps have played the same music in the same year.

Bluecoats -> Crossmen 90 = Caravan

The Cadets -> Blue Knights 1990 = Bernstein's Mass

Madison Scouts -> Blue Devils 93 = Strawberry Soup

Carolina Crown -> Marauders =Mass ( from La Fiesta Mexicana)

SCV -> Crossmen 99 = Blue Shades

Glassmen -> Trooper 02 = Javelin

The Cadets -> Boston Crusaders 03 = Malaguena

Bluecoats -> Cascades 03 = Libertango

Blue Devils -> Cascades 05 = Redline Tango

Blue Devils -> Phantom Regiment -> Blue Stars 07 = Firebird Suite

Crown -> The Cadets 08 = Appalachian Spring

SCV -> Blue Knights 08 = Cloudburst

SCV -> Bluecoats 12 = Music from Phantom of the Opera

There have also been some years where two corps have presented an entire show with the same music, but with a different interpretation.

Madison Scouts 1991 -> Dutch Boy 1991 =City of Angels

The Cadets -> Troopers 09 = West Side Story

I agree and disagree with this statement. When you're in the audience, ballads can sometimes seem boring if not done with the effect of pulling you in. But if you're the performer, when running around most of the show, that ballad gives you some time to take a "breather."

I completely understand the "breather" thing. Heck, when I marched, back in the day, even though our drills were nowhere near the velocity and sheer physical demand of today's stuff, we welcomed the "standstill" concert number for that very same reason.

But it just seems there is such a formulaic nature to so many shows.

I hope ballads never go away. And don't forget - fans need to catch their breath, too. Cadets 2011 was a prime example, and the ballad was an integral part of the show theme.

I don't want to see them go away... but I think it would be a welcome change of pace for a corps to not do one from time to time.

Not sure an audience needs a "breather" during an exciting, fast-paced, entertaining show. An audience member can use an entire corps as a "breather" if he or she wants. LOL.