Stuck In A Rut

You're correct Brasso, there are TONS of similar, seemingly compulsury visuals performed by many corps these days. Everybody squats for example. At this point the innovative thing would be for a corps to come out and NOT squat in their show.

BD percussion came out one year, and did the physical movements of stepping forward, then moving left playing, then moving right, playing, then stepping back playing, then dipping low, playing. You know the one I'm referring to ? Its a cool move. So cool that about a dozen or more Corps adopted almost the identical move the following year.. and the year after that... and the year... well.. you get the point. So we assess the 3 Finalist Corps one year in the late 70's surprisingly finding themselves playing the one song of " Children of Sanchez " ( with different renditions we might add ) in the context of a dozen or more Corps intentionally duplicating the identical body moves of other Corps these days in DCI.. and over multiple seasons we might add, until finally it runs its course.

Edited by BRASSO

BD percussion came out one year, and did the physical movements of stepping forward, then moving left playing, then moving right, playing, then stepping back playing, then dipping low, playing. You know the one I'm referring to ? Its a cool move. So cool that about a dozen or more Corps adopted almost the identical move the following year.. and the year after that... and the year... well.. you get the point. So we assess the 3 Finalist Corps one year in the late 70's surprisingly finding themselves playing the one song of " Children of Sanchez " ( with different renditions we might add ) in the context of a dozen or more Corps intentionally duplicating the identical body moves of other Corps these days in DCI.. and over multiple seasons we might add, until finally it runs its course.

all in the adaptation no matter what decade who whatever is being done....2 corps can do the same yet be light years apart

I so welcome all the new advances for a couple reasons but one for sure.

I hope that all these new advances alienate all you curmudgeons so much that you never come back!

Seriously!

Good bye! See ya! Later days. Don't let the door hit ya!

Ciao bela!

Ahhh now i can sit back an enjoy some interesting music.

I think it's you guys who are stuck in a rut!

I love all the innovative stuff that corps are doing now days. it's so fresh and entertaining. I was around in the old days and now I think things are so innovative this will be the new golden age!

Y'all still have your old VHS tapes. Go watch them and cry into your beer.

:laughing::laughing:

Phantom. Killing people was inventive and interesting the first time, but doing the same thing every year isn't as exciting. There is some great classical music out there they can do without doing the same storyline each year

Totally, totally agree. Their designers have a pretty good knack of choosing awesome classical music, but visually not-so-much. I totally agree that they've been seemingly having issues finding good effect/visual "hooks" to match their music the last several years.

• Like 3

It's happened in the past. It was ok to see the different takes on the same music. I mean they were different shows with different arrangements of the music, different drill, and different guard books. It was interesting to see actually.

There have been MANY instances where corps have played the same piece in a year.

There have also been some years where two corps have presented an entire show with the same music.

Yeah, it's weird: out-of-hand I agree with the other poster. I don't want to see corps close together competitively play shows from the same source material. It seems boring, and I want to see each group do something new/fresh and not something someone else is doing.

BUT...

1993 was REALLY fun seeing Blue Devils and Madison Scouts interpret "Strawberry Soup." It was fascinating to see how each group approached different phrasing, articulations and arranging styles. Madison was 6th and BD was 4th, so it wasn't back-to-back but it was really close. The idea in and of itself seems lame, but 1993 was kind of fun, even when I was a HS kid and didn't know nearly as much about music/composition/theory/etc. that I do now. I wouldn't want to advocate for it, but I'm not 100% opposed to it either.

Trying to come up with groups that I thought were stuck in creative ruts, two corps kept popping in my head that I feel aren't stuck...

I've really enjoyed every one of the Bluecoats show concepts/music choices since 2009.

Each time has been very intriguing and different for me.

And really love Blue Knights designs since "English Folk Songs". Just bouncing all over place...!

It's weird, I agree but I'd also say both of these corps are still kind of working to find their place. Even when Bluecoats show "misses" it is interesting and admirable 'miss' as opposed to a boring, predictable win. But it feels like both of those corps are struggling to find their way to the next level. In the last 10 years Bluecoats have achieved above 5th twice, while typically placing 6thish. That is obviously incredible consistency, but if the corps is trying to move up competitively it seems the corps doesn't quite know how to make that next jump.

Blue Knights have not placed Top 6 at all in that same 10 year span, but consistently place 10thish. Again, AWESOME consistency, but if they're looking to jump up a level, it seems they don't quite have the answer.

Other corps seems to be either consistent (BD, Cadets, Crown lately), or perhaps consistent with an anomaly year based on strength of membership or strength of show design (i.e. Phantom is often Top 5ish, with a great year putting them Top 3 and an 'off' year putting them 6th or worse). But Bluecoats and Blue Knights in particular (and Madison Scouts, and maybe Boston Crusaders as well, to an extent) seem to be in a rut as far as taking their competitiveness to the next level.

I don't want to see them go away... but I think it would be a welcome change of pace for a corps to not do one from time to time.

Not sure an audience needs a "breather" during an exciting, fast-paced, entertaining show. An audience member can use an entire corps as a "breather" if he or she wants. LOL.

I think with all forms of entertaining art, it's always great to see peaks/valleys, highs/lows. Even a 70 minute Symphony is in multiple movements with multiple tempo changes, moods, etc. 15 minutes of "run and gun," so to speak, would get old IMO: a ballad can be just as fresh, innovative, and exciting as a 215bpm virtuoso piece.

I think it's you guys who are stuck in a rut!

I love all the innovative stuff that corps are doing now days. it's so fresh and entertaining. I was around in the old days and now I think things are so innovative this will be the new golden age!

Y'all still have your old VHS tapes. Go watch them and cry into your beer.

I TOTALLY agree with this :thumbs-up: