All animals are equal (but some are more equal than others)

This is not a reach. I agree with you that this is a poem about artists not playing it safe ...

Thanks for a thoughtful reply, with which I continue to disagree almost entirely. Unfortunately, I have to devote all the spare time in my next three weeks to reading and critiquing about 100 literary essays, or I would explain further. I hope at some later point to return to this discussion, which I find fascinating (and challenging to (1) keep bringing back to the subject of drum corps and (2) not bringing up any religious conceptws, which clearly underpin aspects of this argument but aren't allowed here)--but I expect many others will be happy to know this particular conversation isn't going forward!

...The lines you cite could apply as easily to Shakespeare as to any poet influenced by Existentialism or Nihilism....

I somehow missed this reference. Yes the lines in the poem could apply to Shakespearian works because he wrote Nihilism into many of his works in both comedies and tragedies; especially in his later works.

Not to continue the threadjack (and constant abuse of ellipses) ... but ... maybe ....

Thank you for ... mentioning that.