All animals are equal (but some are more equal than others)

Why? Guitar is legal in DCI, whether electric (Teal Sound) or acoustic (Oregon Crusaders).

Sweet- so Nile Rogers could be on that theorretical DCI gig playing his Hitmaker with Daft Punk, I guess as long as they keep their set to around 11.5 minutes then they'd be good to compete per DCI's definition of a drum corps! Would open drum corps up to a whole new audience- bust out those glow sticks!

Edited by funkjazzaxe

alright i have to make time to listen to the podcast.

denmark, rotten, etc...

I found the podcast to be depressing.

It doesn't matter what arguments are presented. It doesn't matter what people say to convey their passion for the activity and why they are against the changes. The pathway has been set. Arguments against are invalid.

One thing I took away was that it's not the youth participating in the activity each summer who pushed for this. it's people of my generation and the one after who are pushing the changes.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 2

Well, Stu should be amused that Joe Allison defends new drum corps instrumentation on the grounds that "this is marching music's major league". Pay no attention to the judge using the sports metaphor behind the curtain!

Unfounded

He doesn't pursue any sort of sport analogies. The "marching music's major league" is used in the context of DCI being highest level of excellence in marching music.

Ummmm… it is founded! The marketing team at DCI, not the fans or us here on DCP, but the marketing team at DCI has many, many, many times, used the terminology 'musical athletes' in their promos to describe the performers; they placed DCI Finals on the ESPN network (S stands for Sports mind you) as opposed to a network like A&E; not only has DCI used the phrase, “Marching Music’s Major League’ as a moniker but also ‘Summer Music Games’; and there are other sports connections, analogies, and implications which are a direct result of DCI marketing. So, not only can we make a determination based on the observation of, ‘if it waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck looks like a duck’, we can also make the determination DCI is being defined as a Sport by the movers and shakers at DCI.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter what arguments are presented. It doesn't matter what people say to convey their passion for the activity and why they are against the changes. The pathway has been set. Arguments against are invalid.

One thing I took away was that it's not the youth participating in the activity each summer who pushed for this. it's people of my generation and the one after who are pushing the changes.

I don't think the current participants believe the rule change is such a big deal. Most MBs already march bari's and euph instead of trombones. The idea that a drum corps or two will occasionally have a few players on a trombone is not creating much of stir.

• Like 1

why is that unusual.....kids dont make decisions for themselves in school, or other activities...my God could you imagine.....youth becomes adult go into any activity and then only then apply what they think needs to be changed or implemented.... i have asked a few kids what they thought for curiosity current and a few ageouts...not one really cared about the change....now thats only maybe 15 or so, and cant speak for all of course

Edited by GUARDLING

Marketing slogans don't define reality. How many times does that need to be repeated?

Or maybe you really do "Set it and forget it!"

Ummmm… it is founded! The marketing team at DCI, not the fans or us here on DCP, but the marketing team at DCI has many, many, many times, used the terminology 'musical athletes' in their promos to describe the performers; they placed DCI Finals on the ESPN network (S stands for Sports mind you) as opposed to a network like A&E; not only has DCI used the phrase, “Marching Music’s Major League’ as a moniker but also ‘Summer Music Games’; and there are other sports connections, analogies, and implications which are a direct result of DCI marketing. So, not only can we make a determination based on the observation of, ‘if it waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck looks like a duck’, we can also make the determination DCI is being defined as a Sport by the movers and shakers at DCI.

I don't think the current participants believe the rule change is such a big deal. Most MBs already march bari's and euph instead of trombones. The idea that a drum corps or two will occasionally have a few players on a trombone is not creating much of stir.

It will not stop at one or two.

why is that unusual.....kids dont make decisions for themselves in school, or other activities...my God could you imagine.....youth becomes adult go into any activity and then only then apply what they think needs to be changed or implemented.... i have asked a few kids what they thought for curiosity current and a few ageouts...not one really cared about the change....now thats only maybe 15 or so, and cant speak for all of course

My point was obviously not well written. Kids aren't pushing for the change to participate in the activity.

• Like 1