Significance of the new MiM ( aka DCI G7 corps) Fall shows?

http://www.yea.org/s...ws_iv_ctrl=1402

http://cavaliers.org...ng-music-series

In case you have seen this yet, MiM is going to be holding 4 high school band contests "across the country" this fall under the rules of USBands...

From the article I assume that these corps' staff will be judging these events. Looks like back door competition for BOA to me, but what do you guys think about this? For me it is a little difficult to separate MiM from DCI; is this the beginning of a coup attempt for the G7 DCI corps to expand into marching band?

Is this just a way for USBands to expand a little?

I wonder why these events are needed or desired. We've got BOA, USBands, and all the local competitive circuits. Not judging yet, but really curious how this will be "different" than BOA.

Maybe the reason will be to get input from G7/MiM staff?

What do you think about it? I know it's not directly corps related, but it is supported by MiM/G7 who are DCI drum corps organizations.

Here's what I had just said in (and now deleted from) the other thread where you had mentioned this:

I am inclined to be suspicious of Music in Motion, but corps should be looking for alternate revenue streams to support their primary mission, and they are probably best doing so through activities where they can leverage their expertise, so running a marching band circuit (as YEA already does anyway) seems entirely reasonable to me, and not necessarily likely to lead to changes in the central purpose of the corps.

Knowing nothing of the USBands system, I was struck by the comment in those MiM announcements that the scores are 60% music to 40% visual. Many people on these forums complain that DCI gives too much emphasis to the visual. Would the G7 corps prefer DCI to use the USBands music-emphasized system? Is it the non-G7 corps who have prevented that?

• Like 1

I reserve the right to change my opinion after the details are available, but my first response is THIS IS GREAT! A terrific idea for drum corps.

It's such a great idea, IMO, that I'm considering contacting MiM to see if our venue might be suitable for the series. BOA was here for several years, but pulled out recently during their consolidation of shows.

Again, I may change my mind, but BRAVO!

• Like 1

Here's what I had just said in (and now deleted from) the other thread where you had mentioned this:

I am inclined to be suspicious of Music in Motion, but corps should be looking for alternate revenue streams to support their primary mission, and they are probably best doing so through activities where they can leverage their expertise, so running a marching band circuit (as YEA already does anyway) seems entirely reasonable to me, and not necessarily likely to lead to changes in the central purpose of the corps.

Knowing nothing of the USBands system, I was struck by the comment in those MiM announcements that the scores are 60% music to 40% visual. Many people on these forums complain that DCI gives too much emphasis to the visual. Would the G7 corps prefer DCI to use the USBands music-emphasized system? Is it the non-G7 corps who have prevented that?

Very interesting point. As part of the transition to be more like bands, perhaps we who prefer a preference of music will be pleased if DCI migrates to the band judging system.

Also to consider, Ohio, for one, is an OMEA state; fewer kids are encouraged to compete for ranking under their system. I continue to seek an answer to how BOA, USBands, or MiM will address that focus of the official state music org.

Interesting if it was the non-G7 corps pushing the visual emphasis. What strikes me as interesting is that the ideas here could be the result of Cesario's work for DCI being tested in another place to see what works. Then again, maybe I'm thinking too much.

I reserve the right to change my opinion after the details are available, but my first response is THIS IS GREAT! A terrific idea for drum corps.

It's such a great idea, IMO, that I'm considering contacting MiM to see if our venue might be suitable for the series. BOA was here for several years, but pulled out recently during their consolidation of shows.

Again, I may change my mind, but BRAVO!

I'm in agreement. I think it's an interesting idea depending on where the shows are located. I think your venue could be a good location too. I'm just so leery, but we'll see how it goes.

Very interesting point. As part of the transition to be more like bands, perhaps we who prefer a preference of music will be pleased if DCI migrates to the band judging system.

Also to consider, Ohio, for one, is an OMEA state; fewer kids are encouraged to compete for ranking under their system. I continue to seek an answer to how BOA, USBands, or MiM will address that focus of the official state music org.

OMEA is a tough nut to crack. It's surrounded by all these other states who operate differently than them. Maybe time and attrition will solve that problem, but getting more band directors to want to do things differently may help too.

Maybe having an event like this in the state ( especially CBus) could help? I mean, it's not BOA, it has corps staff judging, and it puts more emphasis on music over visual. I know of several schools who could do really well with that blend of judging.

I think it's a good experiment for these corps (MiM) and their staffs to perform.

OMEA is a tough nut to crack. It's surrounded by all these other states who operate differently than them. Maybe time and attrition will solve that problem, but getting more band directors to want to do things differently may help too.

Sitting in the stands at one OMEA event last fall, I heard one h.s. band director trying to persuade another to join the MidStates Band Association. The scoring system was so much more logical, he argued. But would her band have to use electronics to do well, she wondered? Because she didn't care for electronics. I didn't catch much more of their conversation than that. In any case, since his band competed in both circuits, it's not clear how much difference any "poaching" by USBands would make. The number of bands appearing at OMEA's so-called State Finals was about the same (120) in 2012 as it was in 1991, though the average number of students in each band has decreased.

• Like 1

Sitting in the stands at one OMEA event last fall, I heard one h.s. band director trying to persuade another to join the MidStates Band Association. The scoring system was so much more logical, he argued. But would her band have to use electronics to do well, she wondered? Because she didn't care for electronics. I didn't catch much more of their conversation than that. In any case, since his band competed in both circuits, it's not clear how much difference any "poaching" by USBands would make. The number of bands appearing at OMEA's so-called State Finals was about the same (120) in 2012 as it was in 1991, though the average number of students in each band has decreased.

The conversation you overheard regarding electronics seems to jive with a private conversation I had with another DCP member a few months ago.

...and I'll agree that it seems that the average number of students in each band has decreased at OMEA's state finals.

I know of one band in that area that has gone the Midstates route, BOA, and also tried USBands in addition to OMEA.

Seems like maybe this MiM event could interest them too.

I know of two other bands in Central Ohio that would probably do better with the MiM judging format than they have with BOA.

They both are quite dominate in OMEA, but not in BOA. They do VERY well on the music captions, but not as well on the visual captions.

Anyway, we don't know where these 4 shows would be, but I think Columbus would be a great place for one of the shows for sure.

I would assume Atlanta would be a good candidate site. I doubt the East coast would be because USBands is already there.

Texas sounds like a logical location for one of these events. Somewhere out West sounds like a possibility as well; maybe San Fransisco?

As I expressed before, the draw is to have your band evaluated by some of the top drum corps staff in the country. I guess this is a little different than the way is already is in the

concentration of those staff.

We'll find out soon.

Edited by jjeffeory

http://www.yea.org/s...ws_iv_ctrl=1402

http://cavaliers.org...ng-music-series

In case you have seen this yet, MiM is going to be holding 4 high school band contests "across the country" this fall under the rules of USBands...

From the article I assume that these corps' staff will be judging these events. Looks like back door competition for BOA to me, but what do you guys think about this? For me it is a little difficult to separate MiM from DCI; is this the beginning of a coup attempt for the G7 DCI corps to expand into marching band?

Is this just a way for USBands to expand a little?

I wonder why these events are needed or desired. We've got BOA, USBands, and all the local competitive circuits. Not judging yet, but really curious how this will be "different" than BOA.

Maybe the reason will be to get input from G7/MiM staff?

What do you think about it? I know it's not directly corps related, but it is supported by MiM/G7 who are DCI drum corps organizations.

bands that can afford to play will, like they do with BOA and UsBands. Those that can't won't. When it expands to say 10, then BOA should worry

• Like 1