Significance of the new MiM ( aka DCI G7 corps) Fall shows?

BOA runs all their own shows, and rolls into town with considerable staff presence. This is one of the reasons their shows are so uniformly run.

USBANDS, with the possible exception of the top-level shows, doesn't do that. Their organization is much closer to the TEP system, but without as much hassle (e.g. setting up housing, etc.) The USBANDS approach is like a franchise agreement - "Give us some money, find a venue, hire some judges, and we'll give you sheets, tab software, and let you use our brand to promote your show."

Looks to me like MiM is going to be a new promoter of USBANDS shows as a fundraiser. Ok. No biggie. I don't really see what's extraordinarily different about this. The cool thing is that, presumably, corps staffers will have some sort of handle on how to run on-site logisitcs, more so than the "Podiddlyville County Band Boosters." They can also probably account for the cost of hiring the judges a bit differently, which has benefits for cash flow. Finally, what I would explore if I were them, is BOA's idea they've used in the last several years of providing clinics to interested band staffs after some shows.

You all are seeing conflict where one doesn't really exist. I don't imagine, given their mission and personalities, the leaders of Music For All being upset because there's an expansion of performance opportunities for high school musicians. They're probably thrilled, and hope it goes well.

Music For All really doesn't seem to much care about other circuits. They run their events. If you want to show up, they're thrilled to have you.

Thanks for the input. I didn't really know that much about USBands and I definitely don't know about the leaders of MFA. I'm just looking at the possibilities and wondering about these things in the "off season".

What MiM does with USBands, DCI should do with BOA.

If the members of MiM have a great idea here (providing DCI feedback and judging to a particular band circuit, is there anything stopping DCI from doing the same thing with BOA?

Would a BOA show be comprised of such high-caliber bands that they'd not appreciate getting feedback, judging, or instructional guidance from, oh, say Surf, or Troopers, Blue Stars, or Madison?

DCI could be the smartest group in the room; let MiM spend their money to prove a concept or not, then improve the concept and apply it to their "partnership" with BOA.

Maybe it's time for DCI to officially link with BOA (supposedly the highest quality band show provider) and use the same template as MiM/YEA! Send staff members, do clinics, etc.

But do I understand correctly that most DCI staff/judges are already involved with fall programs anyway? Seems like low-hanging fruit if MiM/YEA is successful.

Do you work for BOA? Because if not, whatever you "think" is moot at best. USBands was founded in the fall of 1988 (as USSBA),

Actually, it was founded as CMBC (Cadets Marching Band Cooperative).

and I think one could argue DCI & BOA's relationship has blossomed/greatened over that period of time. A DCI Director/at times DCI Executive Board member, operates USBand, and has for quite awhile, without DCI & BOA relations souring.

And that is because CMBC/USSBA/USBands have generally been in different markets from BOA.

And that is because CMBC/USSBA/USBands have generally been in different markets from BOA.

That's true. I haven't looked into BOA, but I have no desire to participate in the shows generally rewarded in BOA... I have to put on a show that my football crowd will like because of the culture of the area I'm in (even adults bully the artsy kids). However, my mix of show-style concepts with corps-style design tends to resonate with USBands philosophy.

What MiM does with USBands, DCI should do with BOA.

If the members of MiM have a great idea here (providing DCI feedback and judging to a particular band circuit, is there anything stopping DCI from doing the same thing with BOA?

Would a BOA show be comprised of such high-caliber bands that they'd not appreciate getting feedback, judging, or instructional guidance from, oh, say Surf, or Troopers, Blue Stars, or Madison?

DCI could be the smartest group in the room; let MiM spend their money to prove a concept or not, then improve the concept and apply it to their "partnership" with BOA.

Maybe it's time for DCI to officially link with BOA (supposedly the highest quality band show provider) and use the same template as MiM/YEA! Send staff members, do clinics, etc.

But do I understand correctly that most DCI staff/judges are already involved with fall programs anyway? Seems like low-hanging fruit if MiM/YEA is successful.

youre forgeting that DCI is the corps...so the corps involved would be voting to do something against themselves

youre forgeting that DCI is the corps...so the corps involved would be voting to do something against themselves

How?

How would the O-15 corps be voting against themselves by voting to provide MiM-style services to BOA? If it works, wouldn't BOA want the to compete with USBands in services provided but do it with top-notch service that BOA is known for (apparently)?

Last I knew, there was only one (or was it two?) MiM/G7 directors on the voting board of DCI.

There has been a pretty consistent chorus of "Top Corps" directors who claim to have offered the keys to their success, and business "expertise", and ideas to the other corps and DCI over the years, and yet those beneficiaries have either ignored the outreach and suggestions, or taken a good idea and driven it into the ground. I happen to believe these claims of them offering help.

I can't imagine that the G7/MiM corps would vote against DCI formally hooking up with BOA and using the good idea to the advantage of the whole activity, presuming it is a good idea. MiM could, in fact, be a test bed of ideas that these corps want to try without impacting the other corps and, at the same time, keeping the fruits of their labors for themselves. If a DCI/BOA partnership could produce the same benefits for DCI and the other corps, why would MiM corps directors prevent it from happening?

Edited by garfield

Last I knew, there was only one (or was it two?) MiM/G7 directors on the voting board of DCI.

Per the DCI news story in which the any-brass rule was announced:

"Also by unanimous vote of the membership, eight individuals were elected to one-year terms to serve on the DCI Board of Directors. Overseeing the business affairs of the corporation will be Tom French (unaffiliated), John Masterson (Troopers), Chris Komnick (Madison Scouts), Jeff Fiedler (Santa Clara Vanguard), Fred Morrison (Crossmen), David Gibbs (Blue Devils), Jim Coates (Carolina Crown), Mark Arnold (Blue Knights) and Rick Valenzuela (Phantom Regiment). Appointed as officers, Fiedler will serve as Chairman, Komnick as Vice Chairman, Morrison as Treasurer and Valenzuela as Secretary."

This story also shows that DCI can't count.

• Like 1

How?

How would the O-15 corps be voting against themselves by voting to provide MiM-style services to BOA? If it works, wouldn't BOA want the to compete with USBands in services provided but do it with top-notch service that BOA is known for (apparently)?

There has been a pretty consistent chorus of "Top Corps" directors who claim to have offered the keys to their success, and business "expertise", and ideas to the other corps and DCI over the years, and yet those beneficiaries have either ignored the outreach and suggestions, or taken a good idea and driven it into the ground. I happen to believe these claims of them offering help.

I can't imagine that the G7/MiM corps would vote against DCI formally hooking up with BOA and using the good idea to the advantage of the whole activity, presuming it is a good idea. MiM could, in fact, be a test bed of ideas that these corps want to try without impacting the other corps and, at the same time, keeping the fruits of their labors for themselves. If a DCI/BOA partnership could produce the same benefits for DCI and the other corps, why would MiM corps directors prevent it from happening?

isnt mim a business venture for these corps? IF mim was to provide anything to BOA fine I doubt though they would partner with BOA DCI is those same corps..wouldnt it be like Mc Donalds partnering with Burger King..as far as whats good for the whole activity..that all sounds good on paper BUT this is a business.DCI as well as WGI did at one time talk with BOA and I believe BOA wanted WGI BUT thats giving all the candy up for those in grained in WGI so it didnt fly...for numerous reasons. But who knows either way the joining between drum corps and the band world will take place,..........whoever its with IMO

Edited by GUARDLING

Per the DCI news story in which the any-brass rule was announced:

"Also by unanimous vote of the membership, eight individuals were elected to one-year terms to serve on the DCI Board of Directors. Overseeing the business affairs of the corporation will be Tom French (unaffiliated), John Masterson (Troopers), Chris Komnick (Madison Scouts), Jeff Fiedler (Santa Clara Vanguard), Fred Morrison (Crossmen), David Gibbs (Blue Devils), Jim Coates (Carolina Crown), Mark Arnold (Blue Knights) and Rick Valenzuela (Phantom Regiment). Appointed as officers, Fiedler will serve as Chairman, Komnick as Vice Chairman, Morrison as Treasurer and Valenzuela as Secretary."

This story also shows that DCI can't count.

Thanks for the correction. Didn't realize it is four of the seven.