Significance of the new MiM ( aka DCI G7 corps) Fall shows?

I really like this idea.

If it means different sheets from BOA ( Which I mean.. I don't know if US Bands and BOA have the same sheets), I would love to see a local competition here under the US bands name to start up.

God Knows if they are different sheets it will allow more schools to actually place Top 5 then get massacred by Union, Jenks, Owasso and Broken Arrow every year.

Ontop of that, it opens the door heavily for more expanding of the activity.

That's unlikely: often those sheets are proprietary to the circuit and I can't imagine BOA would let their sheets be used by a pseudo-competitive circuit. Sheets might be very similar, but not the exact same.

I really like this idea.

If it means different sheets from BOA ( Which I mean.. I don't know if US Bands and BOA have the same sheets), I would love to see a local competition here under the US bands name to start up.

God Knows if they are different sheets it will allow more schools to actually place Top 5 then get massacred by Union, Jenks, Owasso and Broken Arrow every year.

Ontop of that, it opens the door heavily for more expanding of the activity.

good design and performance is good design and performance regardless of the sheets. in my region, we have bands that do TOB, USBands and cavalcade, and those that do well in one generally do well in the others, and all have different sheets. I mean USBands runs so many levels of shows, they have like 5 sets of sheets just for themselves

• Like 1

So the first show happened in Houston, TX yesterday; I've heard mixed reviews.

At the draw for finals performance order, each director was given a goodie bag with merch from the Top 7 corps. Dvds, lanyards, audition info etc...

I read that Hopkins GE tape was pretty unhelpful for some. Did anyone see this show and was it worthwhile. Did having DCI staff make this show a better experience?

Edited by jjeffeory

US Bands has different size panels for different shows. At the show my band competed at last week, we had 4 judges: GE, Ens Vis, Ens, Music, Ind, Music. It's what's called a "silver" show.

A full panel has two Overall GE, Ind Music, Ens Music, Ens Visual

good design and performance is good design and performance regardless of the sheets. in my region, we have bands that do TOB, USBands and cavalcade, and those that do well in one generally do well in the others, and all have different sheets. I mean USBands runs so many levels of shows, they have like 5 sets of sheets just for themselves

Edited by Latrobe's Finest

US Bands has different size panels for different shows. At the show my band competed at last week, we had 4 judges: GE, Ens Vis, Ens, Music, Ind, Music. It's what's called a "silver" show.

A full panel has two Overall GE (40%), Ind Music (20%), Ens Music (20%), Ens Vis (20%).

Silver shows have what you describe. That was how it was at JP Stevens today where we competed.

Gold shows add guard and percussion judges who decide those caption awards, but their scores are not part of the total score. Piscataway had that configuration last week; it was our first show of the season.

The only time I have seen two Effect judges are when they double up panels at champ, as we saw at Nationals.

That is for the Northeast area, anyway, over the past few years. It might be different elsewhere.

JJJeff...

re: "I read that Hopkins GE tape was pretty unhelpful for some. Did anyone see this show and was it worthwhile. Did having DCI staff make this show a better experience?"

He openly tweeted that he had had only two hours worth of sleep due to travel disruptions. Under those conditions I would have presumed a substitute judge would have been in the ready. Maybe even Hopkins is human?

Edited by xandandl

JJJeff...

re: "I read that Hopkins GE tape was pretty unhelpful for some. Did anyone see this show and was it worthwhile. Did having DCI staff make this show a better experience?"

He openly tweeted that he had had only two hours worth of sleep due to travel disruptions. Under those conditions I would have presumed a substitute judge would have been in the ready. Maybe even Hopkins is human?

I heard that HE was the substitute judge!

I'm all for people being human, and my comment above WAS being nice and was asking only asking for information really. This whole event, and this whole series of events was billed as being a superior experience through access of top DCI corps staff as judges. So when one puts oneself out there as a professional and superior experience, be that....

Xandandl, I'm a little surprised you'd be making excuses for him. As they say, the show must go on!

Hopkins made sure the show went on, BUT it wasn't a good experience for all this time, and it wasn't the experience that some were expecting from HIM. I heard that other judges were more helpful in their comments.

Anyway, what I really wanted to know is what differentiates this experience from other experiences besides getting some G7 merchandise? Is sounds like it was scored like other USBands shows. So the only difference was the judges...

...and furthermore, was the event well attended? Were there groups from only Texas, or were there groups from other states too? I'm mostly curious.

I heard that HE was the substitute judge!

I'm all for people being human, and my comment above WAS being nice and was asking only asking for information really. This whole event, and this whole series of events was billed as being a superior experience through access of top DCI corps staff as judges. So when one puts oneself out there as a professional and superior experience, be that....

Xandandl, I'm a little surprised you'd be making excuses for him. As they say, the show must go on!

Hopkins made sure the show went on, BUT it wasn't a good experience for all this time, and it wasn't the experience that some were expecting from HIM. I heard that other judges were more helpful in their comments.

Anyway, what I really wanted to know is what differentiates this experience from other experiences besides getting some G7 merchandise? Is sounds like it was scored like other USBands shows. So the only difference was the judges...

...and furthermore, was the event well attended? Were there groups from only Texas, or were there groups from other states too? I'm mostly curious.

Way too tough for the general observer to get information. Nothing but dates and locations and a smattering of confusing judge info on the Marching Music Series site.

Went to YEA/USBANDS and was able to find a schedule, line-up and basic finishing results. No recaps or specific judge/caption assignments.

http://yea.org/programs/usbands/fall/schedule

14 Texas bands. All one classification/

• Like 1

JJJeff...

re: Xandandl, I'm a little surprised you'd be making excuses for him. As they say, the show must go on!

You are misreading my meaning entirely. If it were excellence for the bands that was stated for the goal, I would have begged off once arriving knowing that I would not be capable, not matter how well intentioned, to fulfill the challenge. But the particular judge who assumed the role is not anyone who ever honestly admits his own limitations. Others suffer because of it from my personal scars and experience.

Yes, he was a last minute switch with a band judge who ultimately went to metro Dallas in his stead. Seems the original judge was the music arranger for two of the bands in the Houston show. This manifests another weakness and lack of due diligence by the MiM administration, don't you say?

p.s. I hear Seven Lakes high was the eventual winner.

Edited by xandandl