Significance of the new MiM ( aka DCI G7 corps) Fall shows?

If the ED of DCI is guilty of favoring the G-corps over all others in DCI's marketing, then he needs to be thrown out with the trash, because he's not fulfilling his obligation to the whole activity that DCI represents.

It was the O-15 corps that saved Dan's job during the G7 coup attempt. I'd hope he'd make it a priority to repay some of that love by exercising some muscle to promote those corps as least as much, or more than, those who wanted to throw him out.

But, despite my feelings, maybe the G's were right about him?

The G's were kind of right. See...they know he can't do his job unless all corps agree, or at least a majority f the BOD...which is split

There is a 15-minute window to get on the field, perform and get off the field. However, they are flexible when there is some sort of issue in getting a band set up, esp when they see that the band is scurrying around doing the best they can. Their goal is for bands to perform and be evaluated in as complete an environment as they can, and if it takes an extra minute or two to set up, so be it.

You also have the instance where the prior band had a lot of stuff to pack up, and sometimes that drags on delaying the next band coming on. As long as they see bands making their best effort, they work with them. They are not penalty-happy. That is one of the good things, about USBands IMO.

most circuits are that way now. IN TOB, we've become a lot more flexible and given the chief discretion, even changed the rules for on and off to help give bands some flexibility. But even with a 15 minute window, the average total interval time was less than 14 minutes, and usually those that have those one offs are the same teams week in and week out because they're just not organized.

most circuits are that way now. IN TOB, we've become a lot more flexible and given the chief discretion, even changed the rules for on and off to help give bands some flexibility. But even with a 15 minute window, the average total interval time was less than 14 minutes, and usually those that have those one offs are the same teams week in and week out because they're just not organized.

Oh, I am sure TOB is like that too.

Oh, I am sure TOB is like that too.

did not used to be, but admin changes can fix a lot.

OR- they have WAY too much stuff to drag on. I can think of one case in particular, definite jump off the Titanic show in itself before the show with a company of Parents and kids running everywhere....just to get all the stuff on the field, then the Director is upset.

Sometimes you have to carefully think out the props, their design, pre-show deployment, and tear-down way more than some folks realize.

OR- they have WAY too much stuff to drag on. I can think of one case in particular, definite jump off the Titanic show in itself before the show with a company of Parents and kids running everywhere....just to get all the stuff on the field, then the Director is upset.

Sometimes you have to carefully think out the props, their design, pre-show deployment, and tear-down way more than some folks realize.

Oh, that does happen too. As a band director, you had better not create a show that requires the cast of "Ben Hur" to move on and off the field if all you have available is the cast of "Gravity". :tounge2:

• Like 3

Oh, that does happen too. As a band director, you had better not create a show that requires the cast of "Ben Hur" to move on and off the field if all you have available is the cast of "Gravity". :tounge2:

Pfft...

Apt descriptive comparison, Mike.

Boy, that is not what I meant. Band parent pit/prop crews are often staffed by a variety of differing sets of people week in and week out, at least around me. Sometimes what one set of parents can pack up and move in X minutes ends up taking a second set of parents X + Y minutes, just because of confusion and a new/different set of people...or who-knows-what issue that may have cropped up. Maybe they use a tractor with a trailor and it had to park someplace out-of-the-norm and took longer to get to the field, etc... This is just not a science; there are people involved who have a variety of skills and experience. Sometimes the venue setting does not help in facilitating a quick on/off, just due to its logistics. As long as the parents and staff are making their best efforts, I see no issue with the contest coordinator giving them a break. You can tell when there is a new crew just by watching as parents scurry about the field, bumping into each other and grabbing at the same piece of equipment. Happens all the time. Your going waaaaay overboard on this.

I have worked with three directors who have, what I consider to be, the correct attitude in approaching this issue. Director 1: He develops show designs in which only the students and staff move the equipment and makes sure they rehearse getting on and off the field in the time allotted; Director 2: She uses only parents as volunteers who can commit to being at the contests and the rehearsals immediately prior to contests, and she also extensively rehearses having the adults enter and exit the field with the band; and Director 3: He only designs shows to fit into the minimum required show time with not very many props so as to allow time for any hiccups getting on and off the field, and if there are any volunteer adults he asks them to follow the lead and commands of specific students . Most importantly, all three directors stated to me that they do this out of respect for the band performing after them not necessarily out of fear of penalties. And this is why I truly believe in the timing penalty; because barring extreme circumstances directors certainly can get their bands on the field, do the performance, and get the band off the field in the time allotted 'if that is a priority for them'.

Well, as of this year we are talking four MiM shows over the entire season. I don't see much of an impact on the "normal" USBands shows. I think this is a pretty cool set of events for those who choose to participate.

Okay, we now have the location of the four shows:

Denton, Texas

Salt Lake City, (Northern) Utah

Annapolis, Maryland

Atlanta, Georgia

I thought Annapolis was a normal site for their Mid-Atlantic Championships. Ok, the MiM show in Annapolis is November 1st, and the USBands "Preview of Champions" show is on November 8th.

So it looks like these MiM shows are extra.

Wow, I noticed that there is a USBands "Las Vegas Regional" on November 1st. I wonder if the BOA regional being in St. George, UT on November 1st has caused a need for this USBands show in Las Vegas? These two "regionals" are pretty close to one another and on the same date...

http://www.yea.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=22870&news_iv_ctrl=1402

Georgia to host MMS event

Debuting this fall, Music in Motion - a non-profit formed by the Bluecoats, Blue Devils, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, The Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment and Santa Clara Vanguard- presents the Marching Music Series: An impressive line-up of high-profile marching band events across the country that will feature the highest level of adjudication, excellent customer service, and venues and event management beyond reproach.

So far, the C. H. Collins Athletic Complex in Denton, Texas has been named the host of the first Marching Music Series event on Oct. 11. The following week, bands will take the field at theUniversity of Utah's Rice-Eccles Olympic Stadium in Salt Lake City on Oct. 18, and Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Md. will showcase Mid-Atlantic bands on Nov. 1.

As event registration opens today, Music in Motion proudly announces its southeastern show site for 2014: On Oct. 18, the Marching Music Series will showcase the superb talent of southern bands at Lambert High School's impressive stadium, just northeast of Georgia's capitol city.

Edited by jjeffeory

Okay, we now have the location of the four shows:

Denton, Texas

Salt Lake City, (Northern) Utah

Annapolis, Maryland

Atlanta, Georgia

I thought Annapolis was a normal site for their Mid-Atlantic Championships. Ok, the MiM show in Annapolis is November 1st, and the USBands "Preview of Champions" show is on November 8th.

So it looks like these MiM shows are extra.

Wow, I noticed that there is a USBands "Las Vegas Regional" on November 1st. I wonder if the BOA regional being in St. George, UT on November 1st has caused a need for this USBands show in Las Vegas? These two "regionals" are pretty close to one another and one the same date...

http://www.yea.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=22870&news_iv_ctrl=1402

Georgia to host MMS event

Debuting this fall, Music in Motion - a non-profit formed by the Bluecoats, Blue Devils, The Cadets, Carolina Crown, The Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment and Santa Clara Vanguard- presents the Marching Music Series: An impressive line-up of high-profile marching band events across the country that will feature the highest level of adjudication, excellent customer service, and venues and event management beyond reproach.

So far, the C. H. Collins Athletic Complex in Denton, Texas has been named the host of the first Marching Music Series event on Oct. 11. The following week, bands will take the field at theUniversity of Utah's Rice-Eccles Olympic Stadium in Salt Lake City on Oct. 18, and Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Md. will showcase Mid-Atlantic bands on Nov. 1.

As event registration opens today, Music in Motion proudly announces its southeastern show site for 2014: On Oct. 18, the Marching Music Series will showcase the superb talent of southern bands at Lambert High School's impressive stadium, just northeast of Georgia's capitol city.

Surely someone will determine if these shows impact BOA or other circuit shows...