Significance of the new MiM ( aka DCI G7 corps) Fall shows?

I see no problem with these four shows on the dates given. I am surprised they are not running a show in the neighborhood of BD/SCV, which as far as I know would be a logical location.

I was a bit surprised that there wasn't a regional in California, but there are so many circuits there already.

• 6 months later...

If the MiM shows are the same as the shows listed on USBands site as "The Marching Band Series powered by USBands," here's where the shows are so far:

-October 11th: Texas - this show will compete with a BOA regional in Conroe.

-November 1: Annapolis, MD

I also saw a show listed on their site for the Midwest on October 25th-no site given, but this may be a terrible idea as there's a BOA Super Regional that weekend at Lucas Oil Stadium, and I can probably count on one hand the amount of Midwestern bands that have participated in a USBands show.

Just to update this... Here are the latest of what became of the MiM shows for this season. Looks like the USBands "Regional" on November 1st in Las Vegas is Nevada's State Championship as there are mostly Las Vegas area High Schools attending...

Houston, Texas – Saturday, October 4

Denton, Texas - Saturday, October 11

Annapolis, Md. – Saturday, November 1

Looks like these MiM shows are basically USBands shows with DCI staff judging. Yawn. This is not going to compete with any of the local circuits anywhere. Honestly, the USBands Las Vegas Regional date is pretty bad for out West as there is significant "competition" with a show in St. George, UT ( Utah Championship) happening 150 miles North of Las Vegas, and a bunch of good to great schools from all over the West are attending that one. The other big show in the region will be at Mission Viejo High School in Southern California, where the defending WBA champion (Upland) is appearing; a current GN finalist and recent WBA champion (Ayala) is there too. Also, several other great SoCal bands. I'm sure all these events will be attended, but the Utah and SoCal shows are much better events from a "fan" perspective. Anyway, I'm disappointed that the MiM shows weren't more disruptive.

Edited by jjeffeory

I reserve the right to change my opinion after the details are available, but my first response is THIS IS GREAT! A terrific idea for drum corps.

It's such a great idea, IMO, that I'm considering contacting MiM to see if our venue might be suitable for the series. BOA was here for several years, but pulled out recently during their consolidation of shows.

Again, I may change my mind, but BRAVO!

I agree. This initiative is something that could have been done by anyone at anytime before. Working together to do this is a positive thing for bands, drum corps, and music education. Just goes to show what a little ingenuity can do.

I really like this idea.

If it means different sheets from BOA ( Which I mean.. I don't know if US Bands and BOA have the same sheets), I would love to see a local competition here under the US bands name to start up.

God Knows if they are different sheets it will allow more schools to actually place Top 5 then get massacred by Union, Jenks, Owasso and Broken Arrow every year.

Ontop of that, it opens the door heavily for more expanding of the activity.

Edited by ohwiseone

It's not. That show is being held at the school I teach at. It's not our championships.

Just to update this... Here are the latest of what became of the MiM shows for this season. Looks like the USBands "Regional" on November 1st in Las Vegas is Nevada's State Championship as there are mostly Las Vegas area High Schools attending...

I really like this idea.

If it means different sheets from BOA ( Which I mean.. I don't know if US Bands and BOA have the same sheets), I would love to see a local competition here under the US bands name to start up.

God Knows if they are different sheets it will allow more schools to actually place Top 5 then get massacred by Union, Jenks, Owasso and Broken Arrow every year.

Ontop of that, it opens the door heavily for more expanding of the activity.

I think those bands are going to massacre most other groups regardless of what sheets are being used.

• Like 1

I think those bands are going to massacre most other groups regardless of what sheets are being used.

Yeah, my impression is that the best bands in any given circuit would do pretty well in other circuits, although probably some sheets are a bit tougher than others, or give a slightly different emphasis to one aspect vs. another.

For example, I've attended three Ohio Music Education Association marching band contests so far this year. At the first show (at Cloverleaf in Lodi), the best band by far, deservedly the night's grand champion (of nine competitors), and probably the best of the 34 bands at all three shows I've seen, was Brunswick (although I wasn't sure they deserved the state qualification they got). Checking the Bands of America results for the regional in Monroeville, PA, a week later, I see Brunswick placed third (of sixteen competitors from four states) and two points behind the winner, which seems reasonable given that a BoA regional (one of only two in the country that day) is intended to draw a more elite selection of bands from a wider geographic area than a local OMEA event (one of five in the state that day). One other band appeared at both shows, Norton, who was the runner-up at Cloverleaf, but less because they were anywhere near Brunswick's quality than because everyone else was even worse. At Monroeville, they finished tenth and ten points behind Brunswick, and that too feels quite reasonable based on the performances I saw a week earlier. (One thing that may have helped them in the first show is that OMEA, unlike BoA (if I'm reading the latter sheets correctly), includes a caption for percussion in the total score, and percussion was the one caption in which Norton had beaten Brunswick.

One other note: the caliber of MiM judges is surely better than those in OMEA or many other local circuits, but I see a lot of drum corps names as I look at the recap from BoA shows, so between those two circuits, there's no advantage to MiM in that regard.

It's not. That show is being held at the school I teach at. It's not our championships.

Ah, ok. Could you send me a PM of what show is the championship show? I may decide to come up and take a look at the Nevada bands as I used to live in the area and had friends on staff at a couple of schools.

Thanks!

Edited by jjeffeory