Best Openers?

Some (not mentioned) from the first 15 years of D.C.I. - We were around to appreciate all of these openers.

Troopers - 1972/1973/1974: "Ghost Riders in the Sky."
Santa Clara Vanguard - 1972/1973/1984: "Fanfare and Allegro."
Argonne Rebels - 1973: "Fanfare for the New."
Anaheim Kingsmen - 1974: "Mambo," from West Side Story.
Muchachos - 1974 (1975): "Pictures de Espana."
Madison Scouts - 1975: "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue."
Blue Devils - 1975: "Space Shuttle."
Santa Clara Vanguard - 1977/1978: "Overture to a New Era."
Phantom Regiment - 1977: "New World Symphony."
Phantom Regiment - 1978: "Firebird Suite."
Blue Devils - 1978/1979: "Canon."
Cadets - 1984: "Maria," from West Side Story.
Santa Clara Vanguard - 1985/1986: "Festive Overture."
Cavaliers - 1986: "Canzona."

Just to name a few, before the real noobs were born. Then came the years of dilution and pollution (sighing).

Edited by BeenThereDoneThat
  • Like 3

"Rocky Point Holiday," Garfield Cadets, 1983. From the first massive note to the ridiculous Z-pull at the end, it electrified a finals-night crowd that knew it was watching history. The chants of "East! East! East!" at the end were chilling.

This is the first correct answer, but may be the first, second, or third BEST.

I realize it was a 7th place show but SCV 1980 was always one of my favorites

It is easier to pick out an SCV show and opener that is not many true fans' favorite (possibly impossible). For sustained quality over 40+ years, SCV is far and away the leader. They never put an entirely poor show on the field. Some may have had weaknesses, but those were surpassed by many more great moments.

Thank you, BeenThere, for mentioning the Troopers' "Ghost Riders" from the early 70's. My first introduction to Drum Corps was an exhibition in Syracuse, NY in 1974 -- the night following the DCI Championships in nearby Ithaca, NY (although my mind might be playing tricks on me slightly). In any event, we (myself and my bandmates from a small rural school in central NY) were there through the grace of our band director. We played that selection that summer...as arranged by our BD. We, in our small, rural school minds, thought we were pretty darned good. But seeing the Troopers march off the line to that...oh, mannnn. After about 30 seconds, my best friend stood up and exclaimed what we all were thinking..."Holy Sxxx!! They're playihg our song!!" Of course, it wasn't our song, but the Troopers'. In any event, a life-long emotional affiliation was born. Thanks for invocking a most pleasant memory.

Edited by HornTeacher

It is easier to pick out an SCV show and opener that is not many true fans' favorite (possibly impossible). For sustained quality over 40+ years, SCV is far and away the leader. They never put an entirely poor show on the field. Some may have had weaknesses, but those were surpassed by many more great moments.

Generally, yes.

I will say "1995", Not the Nutcracker show was a pretty poor design for me. I especially hated "The Clock Breaks".

I wasn't the craziest about the design of the 1994 The Red Poppy show music either, but it wasn't an entirely poor show. The rest of the shows all the way back to 1980 were good for me though.

To me Santa Clara Vanguard's 1985 opener (Festive Overture) is the best of all time, still to this day.

You had the opening fanfare, you had great solos, you had excellent ensemble playing of multiple styles, you had a percussion feature, you had a pants change and great staging...you had it all. The overall show was a fantastic show that took 2nd place, but that opener was, and still is, the best in my mind.

Others that are great:

Garfield Cadets 1983 - Rocky Point Holiday, what's not to like about this

Phantom Regiment 1989 and 1996, both are breath-taking

Blue Devils 1982 - T.O. a monster of a musical opener (BD 1980 is awesome for me, too)

Santa Clara 1987 - Russian Christmas Music

Cavaliers 1992 - Gavorkna Fanfare, definitely a catchy opener and well done

Madison Scouts 1975 and 1995 - both are insanely great

• Like 4