Best 12th place shows.

I'm partial to give it to 1988 Sky Ryders because their "Sound of Music" is my all time favorite feel good show, though objectively I would have to say 2012 Crossmen. I saw Crossmen a number of times in 2012 and saw how their show progressed and the fire they had in their bellies as they performed at Semi's.

Someone mentioned Troopers in 79, one of the more controversial 12th place finishes and one, that given the right circumstances, can still rile up the fans of the corps that placed 13-20, many of whom beat them during the season, but it is a great show and Troopers have had some great late season surges. However, I would say another great 12th place finish was, perhaps the most controversial 12th place finisher--1978 Kilties is in its own way a great show. Many predicted 78 would be BAC's first year in finals, Garfield could make their third finals appearance, and Capital Freelancers or Cavies both of whom had a rough season that year, might rally. Kilties had an enjoyable show that year, but it not quite finalist caliber, but now when I watch it or listen to it, it makes me feel sad that a great corps of old is no longer competing in DCI, though I will put my rant in here: if BAC ,made finals in 1978 and 27th won in 1980, I think a heated rivalry would have become more heated, perhaps matching that of BD and SCV, and Cadets rather than 27th may have been the powerhouse that did not survive.

I'm partial to give it to 1988 Sky Ryders because their "Sound of Music" is my all time favorite feel good show, though objectively I would have to say 2012 Crossmen. I saw Crossmen a number of times in 2012 and saw how their show progressed and the fire they had in their bellies as they performed at Semi's.

Someone mentioned Troopers in 79, one of the more controversial 12th place finishes and one, that given the right circumstances, can still rile up the fans of the corps that placed 13-20, many of whom beat them during the season, but it is a great show and Troopers have had some great late season surges. However, I would say another great 12th place finish was, perhaps the most controversial 12th place finisher--1978 Kilties is in its own way a great show. Many predicted 78 would be BAC's first year in finals, Garfield could make their third finals appearance, and Capital Freelancers or Cavies both of whom had a rough season that year, might rally. Kilties had an enjoyable show that year, but it not quite finalist caliber, but now when I watch it or listen to it, it makes me feel sad that a great corps of old is no longer competing in DCI, though I will put my rant in here: if BAC ,made finals in 1978 and 27th won in 1980, I think a heated rivalry would have become more heated, perhaps matching that of BD and SCV, and Cadets rather than 27th may have been the powerhouse that did not survive.

• Like 1

All I'm gonna say is there was no surge from the Troopers. Any of the 13 to 15th were better. More to this than meets the eye. Next alumni corps dinner after practice I'll fill Fran in on this.

I still remember watching that broadcast with several corps-mates and the serious shock we all had that they made it to finals with that program. Then we found out later....

All I'm gonna say is there was no surge from the Troopers. Any of the 13 to 15th were better. More to this than meets the eye. Next alumni corps dinner after practice I'll fill Fran in on this.

I still remember watching that broadcast with several corps-mates and the serious shock we all had that they made it to finals with that program. Then we found out later....

BigW...first, and foremost, I am a Trooper fan. Have been for 41 years. However...

If you are referring (even discreetly) to the matter of Richards (and others) influencing the score given by a third judge...then I agree with you wholeheartedly. Such should never have taken place. And all three judges should have immediately lost their adjudication credentials. But who am I to judge? I'm just a village idiot.

Edited by HornTeacher

I hate teasers. C'mon, it's been 35 years. Spill the beans. Was there a second shooter on the grassy knoll? Did Mr. Jones put a horses head in dci's bed? What happened that allowed the unworthy '79 Troopers into the Finals?

Edited by HockeyDad

BTW I'm so old I was at Prelims in '79. Notwithstanding the controversy that Crossmen should have been the 12th place corps apparently, the electricity in the crowd during Troopers show and score announcement was one of those amazing moments you don't forget. That's from someone who didn't have a personal connection to either corps so I was watching just as a fan.

• Like 1

My understanding is that the controversy dealt with questionable penalties. Crossmen had placed most of the season in the middle of what became the top 12 that year, beating 27th, Bridgemen, and North Star at certain points. They may have beaten Madison, Blue Stars, and Guardsmen at certain points but I do not know that for certain. Most people expected Cavies to be 12th, though Capital Freelancers were giving them a run for their money. Crossmen's drop was not predicted but they did have a weak, though not dismal prelims performance. Keep in mind this was second hand info from a Boston Crusader and a 27th Lancer, both of whom had friends who marched with Crossmen, so it may be biased as well. It is my understanding there was a three or perhaps four way tie when scores were subtotaled and penalties separated the four, so Troopers in finals was not what was so controversial as much as why Crossmen were out.

BigW...first, and foremost, I am a Trooper fan. Have been for 41 years. However...

If you are referring (even discreetly) to the matter of Richards (and others) influencing the score given by a third judge...then I agree with you wholeheartedly. Such should never have taken place. And all three judges should have immediately lost their adjudication credentials. But who am I to judge? I'm just a village idiot.

I didn't even know that issue. Egads! Rule One about adjudicating- let the people put their score down, let them make THEIR call, and talk about it later quietly/mentor if there's an issue or disagreement, but at the DCI level, should someone need mentoring?

Man I wish anyone interested could come to the Brew House next corps practice, I'd tell you the deal. Given the cast of characters, the situation, it would seem surreal now, but back then plausible.

Anyone curious what went down in '79 from a general standpoint- look at the Prelim scores then, look at the "Associate Championships" scores, and see some rather interesting shifts. Take a look at the one in particular, use corpsreps to look at their season scores, and tell me something didn't go down in some way.

Also note that 1979 was the only year they had the Associate Championship. I think DCI had to run from that disaster with their tails between their legs after that debacle. I also believe it set the stage for everyone in the activity to demand more consistent judging, period, in some way shape or form.

While I also don't like the slotting effects everyone has a genuine gripe about who do gripe- What could and did happen in that era and before it (ask any Rochester Crusader about what went down around 1970, I forget the exact year and you'll get some righteous beefing and understandably so) is far more undesirable.

I was at prelims in 1979 and saw the Crossmen give a pretty uninspired performance that day. In the 70s a little emotion went a long way score wise. Crossmen were off their game and the Troopers gave the performance of their life. The stars aligned and the Troopers made finals. What each corps did the next time out is not relevant.

I have to go with Crossmen 2012. I wish they would have stuck with that style. Last year was just strange.