WGI starting a Winds division

What does this mean for Sound Sport?

Looks like competition for sound sport. Looks like WGI wants to offer something for people in the Winter/Spring.

Edited by jjeffeory

Looks like competition for sound sport. Looks like WGI wants to offer something for people in the Winter/Spring.

I've been wanting to see an indoor marching brass and percussion (and potentially guard) circuit since like 2008. I should've pitched the idea back then. :tounge2:

• Like 1

looks to me to be more scholastic based.

Hmmmmm... we shall see. Aimachi is doing a wind ensemble demonstration and they are Independent not Scholastic. Also, while Royal Sound currently just has younger youth involved from the Cincinnati tri-state area, they are also Independent and not attached to any particular school.

• Like 1

Hmmmmm... we shall see. Aimachi is doing a wind ensemble demonstration and they are Independent not Scholastic. Also, while Royal Sound currently just has younger youth involved from the Cincinnati tri-state area, they are also Independent and not attached to any particular school.

for all we know it's planned to partner with soundsport. who knows. I'm not going to assume the worst yet

• Like 1

This is the future for today's Open Class drum corps. The economic sense of running a summer program just isn't there, but this would allow those with smaller, local membership bases to compete in a format that lends itself to their size and time constraints.

And some of these independent units could compete in a Summer League version of this under DCI's auspices, if DCI took the next step and created it. SoundSport was always a logo and a general idea looking for a structure; have WGI create the competitive structure for winter, tweak it for the summer performances, and you could have year-round drum corps for those who want to compete but don't want to have to spend $400k a year to do so (and more units for local show promoters to use in creating their lineups).

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3

for all we know it's planned to partner with soundsport. who knows. I'm not going to assume the worst yet

"assume the worst" as in this directly competes with Sound Sport? Why would that be "the worst"? Competition between circuits is a good thing at the very least it's an indication that demand for such ensembles is growing.

• Like 1

I've been wanting to see an indoor marching brass and percussion (and potentially guard) circuit since like 2008. I should've pitched the idea back then. :tounge2:

I've been wanting to see one since around 1990, so it's about time that these large circuits are doing it!