WGI starting a Winds division

looks to me to be more scholastic based.

The picture looked like people were in Arizona Academy's uniforms to go with those flutes and saxes.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

The picture looked like people were Arizona Academy's uniforms to go with those flutes and saxes.

I would guess that this is Archbishop Alter HS from the Dayton area (I think). They were a Class A representative this year in BOA semi-finals and rocked The Academy uniform.

"assume the worst" as in this directly competes with Sound Sport? Why would that be "the worst"? Competition between circuits is a good thing at the very least it's an indication that demand for such ensembles is growing.

I don't think it's really competition quite yet like MiM versus BOA...

WGI Winds would operate in the Winter/Spring

Sound Sport and DCI would operate in the Summer

MiM/BOA/Local Circuit would operate in the Fall.

No overlap, but now everyone can do marching arts year round.

• Like 1

"assume the worst" as in this directly competes with Sound Sport? Why would that be "the worst"? Competition between circuits is a good thing at the very least it's an indication that demand for such ensembles is growing.

Except there isn't fair competition between SoundSport and WGI? SoundSport for the time being is all age, much like SDCA or Mini-Corps, while WGI follows DCI protocol and requires performers to be under 22 years old.

So only some teams from SoundSport would be eligible as WGI teams, while any WGI team would be eligible for SoundSport... doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And personally I think it would do more damage if SoundSport decided now to put an age 22 limit on their circuit. I know my SoundSport ensemble would be down to about 6 brass players if we had to enforce a 22 an under rule.

I just checked WGI rules not but a few weeks ago and the Indoor Drumline and Winter Guard teams both had a 22 age limit listed. Winter Guard lists a 23 exception for US based teams.

I just checked WGI rules not but a few weeks ago and the Indoor Drumline and Winter Guard teams both had a 22 age limit listed. Winter Guard lists a 23 exception for US based teams.

Sorry, but you read it wrong (See bold):

WGI Color Guard Contest Rules 2014

Eligibility

1.1 Color guards in the Independent A Classes from the United States composed of performers not over 22 years of age on March 31st of any given year shall be permitted to compete in contest governed by WGI. Independent Open Class color guards from the United States may utilize performers not over 23 years of age on March 31of any given year. Independent World Class Color guards may compete with performers of any age. Each color guard appearing in a WGI contest shall be prepared to show proof of age. International color guards are not bound by any age limit and must compete in the independent classes

Edited by Stu

I would guess that this is Archbishop Alter HS from the Dayton area (I think). They were a Class A representative this year in BOA semi-finals and rocked The Academy uniform.

That makes sense then that they were at the exhibition where they debuted this. Pretty good look no matter what field it's on

Sorry, but you read it wrong (See bold):

WGI Color Guard Contest Rules 2014

Eligibility

1.1 Color guards in the Independent A Classes from the United States composed of performers not over 22 years of age on March 31st of any given year shall be permitted to compete in contest governed by WGI. Independent Open Class color guards from the United States may utilize performers not over 23 years of age on March 31of any given year. Independent World Class Color guards may compete with performers of any age. Each color guard appearing in a WGI contest shall be prepared to show proof of age. International color guards are not bound by any age limit and must compete in the independent classes

My mistake!

Except there isn't fair competition between SoundSport and WGI? SoundSport for the time being is all age, much like SDCA or Mini-Corps, while WGI follows DCI protocol and requires performers to be under 22 years old.

So only some teams from SoundSport would be eligible as WGI teams, while any WGI team would be eligible for SoundSport... doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And personally I think it would do more damage if SoundSport decided now to put an age 22 limit on their circuit. I know my SoundSport ensemble would be down to about 6 brass players if we had to enforce a 22 an under rule.

The point was that even IF they were competing against each other (a concern that some people had brought up) that it wouldn't matter.