WGI starting a Winds division

Hmmmmm... we shall see. Aimachi is doing a wind ensemble demonstration and they are Independent not Scholastic. Also, while Royal Sound currently just has younger youth involved from the Cincinnati tri-state area, they are also Independent and not attached to any particular school.

That is correct for us. Our focus when we started out last season was primarily education based for young students, this is the main reason we stuck with the IP rule of under 22. Not to mention our oldest staff member is 24, so it is what made sense for us! If anyone has any questions for us, we are an open book. Although, we don't have much information as far as what WGI's hopes are for competition next season. Also, you can always go to https://www.facebook.com/royalsoundime to "like" us and for more information!

• Like 1

That is correct for us. Our focus when we started out last season was primarily education based for young students, this is the main reason we stuck with the IP rule of under 22. Not to mention our oldest staff member is 24, so it is what made sense for us! If anyone has any questions for us, we are an open book. Although, we don't have much information as far as what WGI's hopes are for competition next season. Also, you can always go to https://www.facebook.com/royalsoundime to "like" us and for more information!

Best wishes go out to your organization!!!!

• Like 1

I've been wanting to see an indoor marching brass and percussion (and potentially guard) circuit since like 2008. I should've pitched the idea back then. :tounge2:

This is how we started Gulf Coast Sound drum and bugle corps back in 2002 - we teamed up with the University of Houston's winter guard and competed in the Texas Color Guard Circuit Independent World class. At the time, there was nothing that said your musical accompaniment had to be recorded. They changed that rule after 2003.

Here's our show from 2002 - the performance starts around 1:20. I actually like our 2003 show better - that is on the same page.

http://www.gulfcoastsound.org/video2002.html

• Like 2

"assume the worst" as in this directly competes with Sound Sport? Why would that be "the worst"? Competition between circuits is a good thing at the very least it's an indication that demand for such ensembles is growing.

assume the worst as in this was done to put the other out of business. When dealing with Stu, thats what the worst is

• Like 1

... At the time, there was nothing that said your musical accompaniment had to be recorded. They changed that rule after 2003.

What a shame!!! Winter Guard would be a great venue for a garage-rock band, a small jazz combo, or other small musical groups to get some performance time and more importantly performance exposure. But, as some have stated here on DCP, this activity is apparently ‘ALL about the Visual'; so who cares if the music is done live, lip-synced, uses air-guitar and air-drummed, or better yet... just recorded.

What a shame!!! Winter Guard would be a great venue for a garage-rock band, a small jazz combo, or other small musical groups to get some performance time and more importantly performance exposure. But, as some have stated here on DCP, this activity is apparently ‘ALL about the Visual'; so who cares if the music is done live, lip-synced, uses air-guitar and air-drummed, or better yet... just recorded.

That's sort of my thing in regards to marching brass being in the circuit. As a mellophone player, I didn't really have an outlet as far as marching went (goes?) during the winter. Marching brass has drum corps in the summer and marching band in the fall (and practice throughout the year) but no really performance outlets, whereas, as we know, percussionists and guard members have drum corps followed by marching band followed by WGI.

Our local winter circuit did this several years ago(at least 5)..it lasted a few years, but never really took off...I'm curious to see where all this ends up..

Winter Guard actually IS "ALL about the Visual." It's not meant to be a performance opportunity for musicians.

BTW: I think WGI Winds is a great idea and I look forward to seeing how it evolves.

Looks like competition for sound sport. Looks like WGI wants to offer something for people in the Winter/Spring.

It could be supporting Sound Sport, right? I mean Sound Sport is mostly a summer thing, while WGI is a winter/spring thing. Wouldn't it make sense for this to basically make all-year music ensemble type thing? Think about it:

* Fall = scholastic band, and/or design & rehearsal camps for independent wind groups

* Wing/Spring = WGI season where wind groups would compete & refine their show

* Summer = Sound Sport, where wind groups can continue to tweak, refine, or even change their show

Seems like a great idea, even if it's just taken as a sole WGI activity and discounting any relation to DCI's Sound Sport. As a HS music teacher I would maybe wonder if this would conflict with festival season (which starts in Jan. with beginning to rehearse music, and festival performances begin in mid/late February and last until early/mid April for my HS & HS's in my district), but as of right now this doesn't seem to be an issue for our students. I think it's great, and will be curious to see how this pans out over the next few years. Some local circuits have tried the winter indoor wind/brass ensembles before with little interest. Maybe WGI backing it (and working in concert with DCI's Sound Sport, even obliquely) will help foster this activity

Winter Guard actually IS "ALL about the Visual." It's not meant to be a performance opportunity for musicians.

BTW: I think WGI Winds is a great idea and I look forward to seeing how it evolves.

WGI Percussion is definitely not "ALL about the Visual." I think Music is more of the sheets than visual, and music is the reason some visual/effect-heavy groups (like Aimachi) don't max out the sheets/place higher