WGI starting a Winds division

Yup. Get ready for that discussion all over again in WGI Percussion...

What's the rationale put forth by WGI defending the age limit in World Percussion class while continuing the World Guard class with no age limits?

Seems a pretty untenable position to me.

Yup. Get ready for that discussion all over again in WGI Percussion...

the drum room though has seemed to be pretty unified in opposing opening up the ages.

What's the rationale put forth by WGI defending the age limit in World Percussion class while continuing the World Guard class with no age limits?

well...the voting members voted against it.

the drum room though has seemed to be pretty unified in opposing opening up the ages.

And I agree with keeping an age limit. But it's a rule that will still be challenged every so often, and will now be harder to defend.

I agree. I honestly don't know if I have any valid, thought-out opinion on the age thing (I'm in my mid-30's and will definitely NOT be strapping a drum to by body anytime in the near future unless I get paid pretty well :silly: ), but I think it's a bit audacious of WGI to say no age limit in any other division BUT Percussion. I know it's been shot-down by votes in the past, but the reasoning doesn't seem to hold much validity given the guard & wind divisions.

well...the voting members voted against it.

I wonder why that is. I know of one who voted against it because they were afraid of a group being dominant and beating them consistently. That seems like a disingenuous reason IMO, but there might've been more to it. The no age limit in WGI World Guard hasn't seemed to stifle competition or growth so I wonder what the reasoning is with the percussion directors who are against the no age limits

* note * I don't have an opinion on the matter, and don't really have strong arguments for EITHER side of this argument

I wonder why that is. I know of one who voted against it because they were afraid of a group being dominant and beating them consistently. That seems like a disingenuous reason IMO, but there might've been more to it. The no age limit in WGI World Guard hasn't seemed to stifle competition or growth so I wonder what the reasoning is with the percussion directors who are against the no age limits

* note * I don't have an opinion on the matter, and don't really have strong arguments for EITHER side of this argument

the no age thing has caused some issues on the guard side.....i know A groups weren't thrilled, as the shift took more people available to Open as that shifted by a year when World switched.

Really, if anything, it's affected the teaching ranks. if you're in a World Guard, you don't have time to be teaching. Imean in PIW, it's the same teams at the top more and more every year, so I'm not sure why the fear...it's to a point getting as stagnant as DCI.