Not Excited - Boredom has Set in

Wow. Normally you and I are on the same page, but I couldn't disagree more. We need more corps. The whole "exclusivity" argument has really gained traction with fans in the past 5 years or so, and I for one am baffled by it.

We need more marching members. We need more fans in the stands. This is not a concert hall, with an intimate and nuanced connection between a small group of fans and the performers. Drum Corps, by definition and venue, is big, loud, brash and energetic - if for no other reason than to reach fans sitting 30 yards away, you *have* to be. Like I said, let's get everyone we can engaged with drum corps and bring them in to the activity, because it's a truly worthwhile experience for the members and an entertaining show for fans.

I, for one, would welcome the "Wal Mart" crowd, 'cause I am part of that. And I'd like to think that doesn't mean I can't understand or appreciate art put in front of me. But again, outdoor activity... fans 30 yards away... by its very nature, there are some things that drum corps *needs* to be more of.

Mike

We're not far apart on this, Mike. I was speaking as if I were the decision was focused solely on me, which I know it's not.

That said, I cringe at the band moms and the cowbells, and signs for Johnny that block my view. BITD, fans, even the raucous ones, were respectful of those around them. No cowbells, no umbrellas, no entering/exiting during the show - you know, respectful that there are other fans there besides themselves. Today's band crowds, eh, not so much (in my experience).

I always experienced a level of etiquette at drum corps shows that was not evident at band shows (again, other's mileage may vary) and, in recent years, especially with rookies entering and exiting during shows, that etiquette has diminished, IMO.

Given the choice, I'd rather the entire show be performed live for me exclusively. But, after 40 years in the stands, I realize the stadium doesn't revolve around me and I've sat through the band mom shenanigans and simply covered my ears when the cowbells come out. I can continue to do that, but I'd hope that DCI would continue to impress the etiquette so our stadiums don't morph into a football crowd. And I'd put up with the inconvenience of rookie fans for the benefit of DCI growing the MM base - unless the band mom becomes the norm in the process. I don't want another reason to stay home and watch FN in my underwear.

Guardling like clockwork. I suppose you don't have a link somewhere supporting that supposition you've posted about five thousand times do you?

how about I was there..which is not what many can say.....ask the few here who look at the past realistically....it happend then it happens now..I also have a family that dates back in the activity to the 1940s SO yes I thi nk I have a pretty good idea of what every decades says or have said about the other..........anything do back up a difference to what I said?.........speaking of clockwork!............if the same response comes from me or anyone many times..it must be to the same type of post...maybe those who post their same rant dont mind posting it BUT dont like or expect the response..oh well...

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Me, personally? I'd much rather have an audience of snobby patrons who behave themselves than a bunch of "Band Mom" Walmart patrons and their clanging bells and screams for little Johnny that prevents me from hearing the music from the field.

But that's just me, and I don't do Walmart if I can help it.

I've apparently missed the websites dedicated to posting pics of Sach's 5th Avenue shoppers.

:tounge2:

I'm totally with you! When I was a high school kid I used to think it was awesome when people would yell stuff on the Finals CD's/videos (names, goofy sayings like "I'm Wet" and whatnot). As I got older, in college, I realized it was just kind of childish. Maybe I've turned into a snob (though when I saw Dethklok a few years ago I couldn't help myself & HAD to jump into mosh pit like the good ol' days of my youth), but I also would prefer a symphony crowd atmosphere than some sort of rowdy nonsense. Seems more appropriate; fans can still cheer for whatever, but I agree the more childish and less-civilized demeanor of crowd is not preferred

It generally isn't a huge issue, and I don't have a problem with people expressing their opinions. But this year's griping seems to have been taken to a whole new level. Maybe I'm just suffering from "alumniof fatigue" and am overly sensitive to people starting a topic to gripe about every last negative thought that popped into their head.

I'm TOTALLY with you. There's discussing feelings and such, then there's pseudo-trolling and constant dead-horse beating. We get it: some people haven't liked the evolution of drum corps; some people prefer the good ol' days. We don't need a million threads started. Perhaps folks can start their own form/chat room/RAMD/whatever to complain about the same stuff over and over and over again.

What other threads are we supposed to jump on? It's the off-season. If you share the same feelings as those being expressed in an all-but-identical thread, post them in that thread. For the same reason that the 1,834 threads complaining about BD seemingly every year get merged into one. I don't understand the need for each member who's disenchanted with the current state of DCI programs to start another topic that's exactly the same.

You can, sure. It's a free country. But don't expect to not get called out about it.

IDK; I don't understand why ANYONE would start topics, or participate in forums about an activity they don't enjoy. I'm not really an NHL fan, and would NEVER waste my time in forums arguing about why I don't like hockey. Even when I team I casually root for wins the Stanley Cup (YEA BLACKHAWKS!!) I don't jump into the fray to participate. Most sports sights I casually follow, or 'talk backs' or what not, have their fair share of trolls, and fair share of "Ohio State sucks! signed, Michigan fan" type of posts, and that's all rivalry and I get that. But I rarely see stuff similar to the anti-activity posts on here, and certainly not like, "I used to love NCAA basketball in the 70's and 80's, but now with the one-and-done rules we get constant turnaround of players, lack of loyalty to colleges, etc. and I'm going to write about all the stuff I hate about NCAA basketball that keeps me from enjoying the activity or supporting it."

Why waste your time on an internet forum poking the hornets nest if your contribution is "I don't like modern drum corps much/at all?" That's not discussion, that's not discourse, that's just time-wasting & I don't get the point other than someone wanting to be a diva-esque troll: a "look at me everybody!" type

Involved in what way? Is he/she not allowed to have an opinion? I suggest if you have this thin a skin don't pursue the arts, you won't be happy. But it's good to hear what you had to say as well as it reaffirms my sig.

Are you replying to me? Your inability to quote in your replies is a bit confusing.

If you are, your broad generalization of one (me?) as a "DCI apologist" is pretty goofy. Call me brash, call me mean, call me trolling a troll, or whatever. But NOTHING you quoted in the post before this that you apparently can't reply with speaks to apologizing for DCI.

Maybe you're a Troll Apologist?

• Like 1

Are you replying to me? Your inability to quote in your replies is a bit confusing.

If you are, your broad generalization of one (me?) as a "DCI apologist" is pretty goofy. Call me brash, call me mean, call me trolling a troll, or whatever. But NOTHING you quoted in the post before this that you apparently can't reply with speaks to apologizing for DCI.

Maybe you're a Troll Apologist?

Mellodude isn't a DCI apologist. He is actually the exact opposite of his sig... See no "good". Hear no "good". Speak no "good".

• Like 2

In before the close . . .

Why does it do that? How are things in your black and white world? Maybe, just maybe, not everyone who says something positive about DCI is an apologist. Maybe they genuinely enjoy what DCI is and has to offer. It's a shame that the shows no longer entertain the OP, but I'm not 100% sure what his aim was posting it out here in a separate thread instead of one of the myriad others saying about the same thing.

I know, it's weird: when I was uninvolved in DCI, not into the activity, etc. for awhile after I aged-out I didn't troll newsgroups or forums. I DEFINITELY didn't start posts attention-grabbing that fact that I don't like the activity, and I honestly can't fathom why someone would waste time talking about an activity that is boring. I don't seek out boxing forums, NHL forums, Dr. Who or Star Trek forums, or other activities I'm not a fan of for the sole purpose of complaining. It makes no sense.

I guess if Mello Dude was referring to me (something unclear as they apparently have problems quoting in their replies), then maybe a more apt descriptor of me is a Logic Apologist.