Not Excited - Boredom has Set in

So what news of 2014 has you so unexcited? What news of 2014 WOULD excite you?

And it's chaddyt.

Lol.

in 1992 BD played When a Man Loved A Woman! They brought down the house. Stripping down to an unbuttoned shirt ... it was hot! Everyone in audience knew that show just OOOOZED sexy! You are right top to bottom the top 12 were all great shows. DCI won't let Madison move up and SCV just has got to get everything to fall in place. If Jeff Fedler can work his magic in SCV, I think SCV will be on top for many years to come. I would like to see SCV make a move ... Gayle Royer sure did have them in fine shape back in the late 70s and 80s. SCV has to stop all of it's in-fighting and that would help them a lot.

Madison's problem isn't DCI, Madison's problem recently has been their visual packages aren't deep enough to carry to Finals. You can watch the scores go up until they get to Atlanta, then plateau because you can't get it any clearer. If they added some stuff or made them a bit more difficult, they could be in the Top 6 again. They can clearly play well and spin/drum well, but their visual package gives them a ceiling right around 8

• Like 3

chaddyt - what has me so unexcited about 2014 ... NOTHING ... I live in West Tenn no where near the heart of drum corps which IMO is the midwest. Lots of small shows in that area within a couple hundered miles of each other easy access so it's easy to see a lot of shows. For me I want to see the almost finished product. So I wait until late July to see shows. My school I teach at begins first week of August so it's difficult to get away come the 2nd Saturday in Aug to go to finals. Besides by early July you can tell who the top 3 will be. I agree with FSUBONE that Madison, and yes Madison is my favoriate corps, that Madison visual package is weak and doesn't have the layers that it needs to push into the top tier. But I remember a time (yes it was in the 90s) that on any given night 7 different corps could have won the show. In 1991 Madison beat every single corps at some time during the season ... that was exciting. Now you can just look at the show card and know who's going to be 1st or 2nd. My first watch of Crown's show last year, was it's weird and it will win. I can honestly sit here and say I don't remember a thing they played, but I remember the zanny head gear they wore and the big tall guard guy rolling the bass drum around on the field with all the E=MC2 stuff on it. That's it and that show was the best of DCI according to the green shirts of DCI judges. That show may have just sent you spinning through the roof, but for me I was like ... what am I supposed to take away from this? SCV's show I could releate too and got into them fighting the revoloution. Madison kind of threw me for a loop with all the "stuff" they had in that show i.e., desert cammo uniforms, helicopters, singing Never Walk, marching on the field ala "military basic training" and dragging guard members off the field like they had been killed ... for me it was way over the top. As a 30 year active duty veteran I think I can say that.

For me to say I'm just not excited this has been a long time coming. I'm no new guy to drum corps, be a fan since 1975 and toured with Madison, South Wind, and the Cavaliers from 1992 to 2008. Moments from the last few years that I found exciting are.

- Blue Coats Playing Creep and the Boxer

- PR and the Finals night performance of Sparticus

- Madison - New York (too bad that could not have been on the DVD).

- SCV - 2013 LeMis

- Cavies 2004 - James Bond

- BD - 2003 - House of the Rising Sun

- Crown 2004 - Wild Horses

Maybe it's all just me and now that I'm over 50 I just can't releate to the younger generation's idea of music. I have tried ... and we'll never be Royals ... you can call me Queen Bee and baby I'll rule ... let me live that fantasy.

Most exciting moment IMO EVER !!!! was the 4 count turn by Madison in 1988 playing the opening notes of Malaguna. I wish I could have seen that moment LIVE! Next exciting moment ever was SCV playing the bottle dance for the very last time in 1992 at Camp Randall for encore (corps used to in the old days play a tune in tribute to the new champion). I was there for that moment and it brought down the house.

I'm just not excited as I used to be about DCI. Maybe it's time to move on, my friends keep trying to get me to come over to DCA and see their finals. Maybe it's time for a change. :-)

Maybe it's all just me and now that I'm over 50 I just can't releate to the younger generation's idea of music.

Stravinsky, Strauss, Glass, and Barber are all considerably older than you (and in all but one case, also considerably deader). Not sure how any of them would qualify as the 'younger generation' - unless you're talking about Stravinsky's rap alter ego, Busta Ostinati.

599px-Paul_Wall_medium.jpeg

Edited by Slingerland

I'm just not excited as I used to be about DCI. Maybe it's time to move on, my friends keep trying to get me to come over to DCA and see their finals. Maybe it's time for a change. :-)

That can happen to anyone when they follow anything for a period of time, I get that. I've gone through different obsessions and interests that just got boring after awhile with change and growing up. Given I'm only 20, but I don't see how that is so alien to some of the people on here. I don't feel the same way or even close, but I'm not going to go on harassing you and trying to convince you otherwise. DCA's a lot of fun, I just recently started following it in addition to DCI. Fun stuff! From what you've posted, I say give that a shot.

Edited by DrumManTx

you couldnt be more wrong on a few things.......free thinking?....ok....resource how fans feel?...hardly anything close to majority on either side of the fence...largest message board...true there are a few new names here of lately BUT mostly all the same few people...............drum corps disappearing?..you could be right except not for the reasons you might think...imo

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say here...

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say here...

lol..sorry..i'll try again..it isnt the largest message board..hardly..very small actually and alot of the same people...was agreeing with some of the other things you said though including maybe drum corps was dying BUT I dont think we would say it was for the same reasons

lol..sorry..i'll try again..it isnt the largest message board..hardly..very small actually and alot of the same people...was agreeing with some of the other things you said though including maybe drum corps was dying BUT I dont think we would say it was for the same reasons

There is a larger message board about Drum Corps than DCP? What is it?

Most exciting moment IMO EVER !!!! was the 4 count turn by Madison in 1988 playing the opening notes of Malaguna. I wish I could have seen that moment LIVE!

I wonder... if corps did these kinds of moments today, do you think they would be as effective as back then? Since it's been done before so many times?

I don't think hornlines produce that visceral, edgy sound from back then any more... have to play it safe and be perfectly in tune to win.

meh... don't know the answer... you just got me thinking... :-)