Not Excited - Boredom has Set in

Oh yes it did. That was the gold standard for fan reaction to a rule change.

Mike

yeah. amps was pretty unpopular because it was the gateway rules proposal to every hange that's happened since.

yeah. amps was pretty unpopular because it was the gateway rules proposal to every hange that's happened since.

I still hate the amps. The dynamics have turned into loud all the time. If the horn line isn't loud or playing the pit is cranked to 11.

• Like 1

As we begin a new year of drum corps, for the first time in almost 20 years I am just not excited about this upcoming year. Last year, with the exception of SCV … I was bored. Sure, oooh, look at the pretty colors and the strangeness of it all, but to be 100% honest I didn’t get a lot of it. WAY OVER MY HEAD or I’m just not taking the right kind of medication.

I am tired of slick tricks by the guard and pre-recorded audio clips that are supposed to enhance performances - they don’t - it’s all become a distraction. Maybe if a staff member from a corps would sit down and explain it to me all I might get it, but that’s not going to happen. Used to in the “olden days” Drum Corps World Magazine would explain what’s going on, but now it seems like you have a musical arts degree to understand a show.

It has all become so bland for me that I have become bored with drum corps. I really don't care why type of instruments the corps are playing, it's all good in my book. However, the antics of the DCI judging system never ceases to amaze me.

Typically I travel to one large regional show a year. Airfare, hotel room, dinners out, tickets, souvies., etc usually cost me $1,000 or more for the weekend. Maybe I’ll just by the DVD and call it a day.

Does anyone else feel this way and if so why?

How about you don't spend $1000 going to a show, I feel like your bored because you're not getting your monies worth. Don't get me wrong, everybody can spend their hard earned anyway they choose, but still. Also 20 years is a long time to be doing the same thing. I really loved some of the shows last year, for example Crown. I thought their rendition of Philip Glass' work was great.

While I did like shows from this past year I am still not a fan of indoor regional shows, I think they're just boring. How about make a trip to an a smaller show with a good line up? I've been in the audience in many shows and the smaller outdoor shows with a big fan base always have this great energy.

If that doesn't do it for you, then maybe use your funds by donating it a corps, or setting up a scholarship fund for different member? Maybe that will be more fulfilling?

How about you don't spend $1000 going to a show, I feel like your bored because you're not getting your monies worth. Don't get me wrong, everybody can spend their hard earned anyway they choose, but still. Also 20 years is a long time to be doing the same thing. I really loved some of the shows last year, for example Crown. I thought their rendition of Philip Glass' work was great.

While I did like shows from this past year I am still not a fan of indoor regional shows, I think they're just boring. How about make a trip to an a smaller show with a good line up? I've been in the audience in many shows and the smaller outdoor shows with a big fan base always have this great energy.

If that doesn't do it for you, then maybe use your funds by donating it a corps, or setting up a scholarship fund for different member? Maybe that will be more fulfilling?

Near by me is nothing. I have to go to Murphyfreesboro and if the show does not include Madison I'm not going to go. I know shallow approach to seeing drum corps shows but Madison is my favoriate. Near by me for shows after that is Atlanta or Indy. I used to live in Milwaukee WI and there were a lot of local shows in that area and I really didn't mind see shows that were not fully completed. I might check out the streaming shows this year and see what I'm missing.

I go to any real show I can. I love watching the corps live and really get into the corps practicing outdoors, the smell of cut grass and diesel fumes, The streaming online is a great gap filler for shows I can't get to but nothing is like the live show. I buy shirts from all the corps there, not just my Cadets and do whatever I can to support a great activity. I may not love all the changes, but I love the activity and support it and those amazingly hard working, multi talented kids involved. I am amazed listening to the DCP armchair designer critics who won't ever go to a show again because of amps or narration or their corps is not in the G-7 or blah blah.

I am very excited for the upcoming season to see who is pushing the activity into what direction this year. Love all the corps but the WC corps are just out of this world amazing. I laugh when I read a show review (from a streaming video) ripping corps apart and then go to a live show and say WOW! These corps are sick!

I am not bored....

• Like 2

Is this yet another online suicide I have had enough so I have to tell everyone how I feel instead of just not going?

Bless yer heart.

Pretty amazing someone would care enough to let you know on a forum for said activity. My sig covers this.

As we begin a new year of drum corps, for the first time in almost 20 years I am just not excited about this upcoming year. Last year, with the exception of SCV … I was bored. Sure, oooh, look at the pretty colors and the strangeness of it all, but to be 100% honest I didn’t get a lot of it. WAY OVER MY HEAD or I’m just not taking the right kind of medication.

Except for a few scattered shows here and there, I've been bored to tears since about 2000 or so. I've attended at least one summer show every year since the late 70's, but last season I didn't go. Didn't go to a one and didn't miss it at all. Not interested into what the "Activity" has evolved into. Just very brief moments here and there. I have much more fun in Atlanta and San Antonio doing the tourist stuff. The show itself is becoming just an annoyance on my trip because I'm always left high, dry and disappointed. :thumbdown:

But I rarely see stuff similar to the anti-activity posts on here, and certainly not like, "I used to love NCAA basketball in the 70's and 80's, but now with the one-and-done rules we get constant turnaround of players, lack of loyalty to colleges, etc. and I'm going to write about all the stuff I hate about NCAA basketball that keeps me from enjoying the activity or supporting it."

The reason you have less complaints about " NCAA Basketball " compared to " DCI Drum Corps " complaints is primarily because "NCAA Basketball from the 70's and 80's) ( that you alluded to here ) has changed very little from that timeframe to today. On the other hand, Drum and Bugle Corps of the 70's has had a radical transformation that is unlike the breadth, scope, etc of the changes in " NCAA Basketball from the 70's and 80's " compared to that of today. Heck, everybody agrees that " NCAA Basketball " is still the game of basketball here in 2014, as it was in the 70's. We'd be hard pressed on the other hand to even get majority consensus agreement that DCI units are still " Drum & Bugle Corps ". So naturally, there are much more complaints heard about DCI from those fans from the 70's, 80's. That simplyy goes with the territory of the adoption of such a radical transformation of the activity.... especially when we want to compare this with the sports competition realm and the comparatively absent complaints about the activity itself found in these other growing fan base activities. Now having said all this, I take no position on the rightness or wrongness on this thread of these frequently heard complaints. Thats not the purpose of my reply remarks here. I'm just trying to explain the WHY of it on this thread, thats all... and why we often see and hear much higher levels of complaints on this activity when compared to the " NCAA Basketball " fanbase realm that you want to compare the DCI fanbase complaint levels with here.

Edited by BRASSO

The reason you have less complaints about " NCAA Basketball " compared to " DCI Drum Corps " complaints is primarily because "NCAA Basketball from the 70's and 80's) ( that you alluded to here ) has changed very little from that timeframe to today. On the other hand, Drum and Bugle Corps of the 70's has had a radical transformation that is unlike the breadth, scope, etc of the changes in " NCAA Basketball from the 70's and 80's ". Heck, everybody agrees that " NCAA Basketball " is still the game of basketball here in 2014, as it was in the 70's. We'd be hard pressed on the other hand to get universal agreement that DCI units are still " Drum & Bugle Corps ". So naturally, there are much more complaints heard about DCI from those fans from the 70's, 80's. That simplyy goes with the territory of embracing such a radical transformation of the activity.... especially when we want to compare this with the sports competition realm and the comparatively absent complaints about the activity itself found in these other growing fan base activities. Now having said all this, I take no position on the rightness or wrongness on this thread of these frequently heard complaints. Thats not the purpose of my rely remarks here. I'm just trying to expain the WHY of it, thats all... and why we often see and hear much higher levels of complaints on this activity when compared to the " NCAA Basketball " realm that you want to compare the complaint levels with.

This. Also, the replies you will get are (1) it was always marching band, (2) it is still drum corps, (3) "excellence" is the distinction, (4) why can't you just go away?

An activity that has radically changed to the point that you entertain serious discussions about changing its name is an activity that either never knew what it had, or was so panicked that it sold its soul to try to survive. And in the process it lost a large following. And many people can't handle that, so they would rather everyone just stop talking about it.

• Like 5