The Progression of Performance Art in DCI

There have been many discussions concerning DCI, and the activity itself, should not stagnate but actually be at the forefront of what our culture is celebrating as Performance Art. Well here is the performance art direction our culture has seen fit to progress toward: enjoy y’all, enjoy (link). And for all of you DCI and WGI designers out there who are in the camp of 'progress not stagnate', please, by all means, please place this wonderful progression of our culture, and it's performance art, within DCI and WGI programs in the near future.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Not sure if serious.

Not sure if serious.

Yes; this is seriously the direction progression performance art is going within our modern culture. And yes, many have posted on DCP that they see DCI as performance art; and have the desire to progress with the rest of our performance art culture.

Not sure if serious.

The suggestion itself is sarcastic. He is serious that DCI is heading in this direction in his opinion. But he is clearly opposing this trend and suggesting this could be the eventual result if the trend continues.

Now then...

They already wear costumes that skimpy, but liquid vomit would presumably violate a rule by leaving material on the field. I'm not sure of the wording of the rule in question (the DCI rule book is not freely available) but I'm sure fluids dumped on the field would violate a rule because the next corps up could slip on it.

On the other hand, if during a Jersey Surf show a corps member leans over and does a fake vomit (streamers, say) onto another member, that could already happen in the current climate. And if it were funny enough in the context of the skit, the fans would approve, as would many on DCP. Talk about a gag...

Wasn't Lady Gaga in Jersy Surf, like, BITD? Things are coming full circle.

Wasn't Lady Gaga in Jersy Surf, like, BITD? Things are coming full circle.

Wait, I thought that was Madonna! 8-)

For what little it may be worth -- I'm with you on this one, Stu.

How is one artist trying to catch attention by the media a sign of progression? Once I see a trend of vomited-on artists over a period of at least a few years then it would be fair to say it's a "progression" of performance arts.

• Like 2