Southwind 2005

Jersey surf 2012

Performance wise:

Crown 2012

Star 91

Scouts 11

Scouts 88

Scouts 99

One of my favorite closers musically is Crossmen's 2004 show "E Pluribus Unum". The music has like a larger than life feel to it. Especially the trumpet solo blasting over the rest of the corp, you can really feel the passion. It's easily in my top 10 all time musical moments.

July 8, 1980

Memphis, Tennessee

Spirit of Atlanta -- "Let It Be Me."

(Edit): After thought, I decided to re-read the OP. In light of what was originally asked, please allow me to say that this performance by no means would be my "favorite": it is merely what I consider to be the "best." For those who know what I am referring to, in all facets of performance situations, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 2

My all time favorite is 27th and "Danny Boy" appropriate since today is St. Patrick's day, and honorable mentions include Spirit "Let it Be Me" "Auld Lang Syne" of Kilties, and Guardsmen's "Greensleeves" but in recent years we have had some great closers too: "Elsa's Procession" by Phantom in 2011 (and 79), Colt's "All By Myself" and even the hardest hearted cynic had a tear or two last summer with Madison's "You'll Never Walk Alone."

Okay, I'll play again. Especially for those that need to know the glorious early years of D.C.I.

Given, any year:

27th Lancers - "Danny Boy," automatic goosebumps.

Kilties - "Auld Lang Syne," you already know the classic nostalgia tune and still get choked up.

How about:

Santa Clara Vanguard - 1974/1976: "Send in the Clowns." Had to love it.

Madison Scouts - 1974: "Brian's Song." The cheeseheads loved a song for the Chicago Bears' Brian Piccolo.

Anaheim Kingsmen - 1974: "So Very Hard to Go/Firebird Suite." One of the All-Time great closer/re-entry combinations.

Muchachos - 1974 (1975): "Concierto de Aranjuez/It Was a Very Good Year." See immediately above.

Cavaliers - 1974/1975: "[somewhere] Over the Rainbow." The corps' song and Wizard of Oz nostalgia, need I say more?

Madison Scouts - 1975/1976: "The Way We Were." Memories, are so beautiful . . . .

Santa Clara Vanguard - 1975/1978/1979: "Bottle Dance." Fiddler on the Roof Fantastic Fanaticism.

Blue Devils - 1975/1976: "Chase the Clouds Away/Feel of a Vision." Hello to one of Chuck Mangione's greatest tunes!

Oakland Crusaders - 1975/1976: "El Gato Triste." An overlooked and underrated Chuck Mangione tune.

Phantom Regiment - 1975/1976: "Tannhauser." The Phantom Regiment was for real!

Blue Stars/Capitol Freelancers - 1976: "Bellavia." Both used the Mangione number, but paired it with different tunes. Blue Stars with Soulero, Freelancers with Echano, another Mangione tune, which was paired with Malaguena by the Blue Stars for their concert piece. Mangione Fever!

Freelancers - 1977: "Bellavia." 4M = More Mangione Magical Music.

Phantom Regiment - 1977/1978: Beethoven's Ninth Symphony "Ode to Joy." That, it certainly was.

Phantom Regiment - 1979: "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral." A fitting end to the decade, with one of the most beautiful and glorious closers of all time.

And that was D.C.I. in (just) the 70's: Timeless tear-jerkers, all-time classics, sweet jazz and Mangione Fever. It was fan - tastic!

Edited by BeenThereDoneThat

Carolina Crown 2012 and Cavaliers 2000 are the ones that come to mind.

Oh, and 1997 SCV. Still convinced that show doesn't get the love it should.

:babies:

This is to endings what Shostakovich's Intro to the 4th Ballet is to openings!

One of my favorite closers musically is Crossmen's 2004 show "E Pluribus Unum". The music has like a larger than life feel to it. Especially the trumpet solo blasting over the rest of the corp, you can really feel the passion. It's easily in my top 10 all time musical moments.

Loved that one, make no mistake, but I'll still take '92 Crossmen over it. When the brass kicks back in after the drum break is one of my all time favorite DCI moments. Such energy from such a great melody... I get chills every time!

• Like 1