The Inevitable Woodwind

Add the woodwinds... the flutes, the saxophones, the trombones, trumpets, clarinets, , sousaphones, tubas, tall pointee hats, etc

It'll still be a " Drum Corps ". How so ?... because DCI decides to call it a " Drum Corps ", thats why

. And whatever they decide to call a unit with flutes, clarinets, trumpets, trombones, saxophones, tubas, tall pointee hats, dancers, singers, keyboards, synths, etc... keep in mind that its still really not a " Marching Band " at all. Its a " Drum Corps ".

Because they said so. And that makes it so... dontcha know ?

it'll be performance art. And Stu will be having fits

• Like 1

Add the woodwinds... the flutes, the saxophones, the trombones, trumpets, clarinets, , sousaphones, tubas, tall pointee hats, etc

It'll still be a " Drum Corps ". How so ?... because DCI decides to call it a " Drum Corps ", thats why

. And whatever they decide to call a unit with flutes, clarinets, trumpets, trombones, saxophones, tubas, tall pointee hats, dancers, singers, keyboards, synths, etc... keep in mind that its still really not a " Marching Band " at all. Its a " Drum Corps ".

And as it's been pointed out, that you're just ignoring. Tall pointy hats have always been around. Madison used tromboniums in 1980, Cadets sang in 79, Boston used a synth in the mid-80s, Garfield used a professional dancer, baton twirlers used to be a thing. Trumpets make it a marching band?

What would an official name change accomplish? To make you happy? To appease you? Or do you have an actual goal in mind, or just being snarky in your age?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

IF it happens, I have absolutely no doubt that it will be limited to a small number of mic'd soloists in the pit. Just one more color in the palette, along w/ voice and synths. I don't think there is any danger of DCI EVER fielding marching WW lines. Along w/ the upkeep and weather issues, it just doesn't make competitive sense. As I've said before, a corps fielding marching woodwinds would be like an NFL team replacing their specials teams w/ 110 lb. accountants. NOT gonna happen. I hope that it doesn't pass, but I agree there's a good chance it will. And if so, not that much of a biggie. I think they would be used sparingly and tastefully.

IF it happens, I have absolutely no doubt that it will be limited to a small number of mic'd soloists in the pit. Just one more color in the palette, along w/ voice and synths. I don't think there is any danger of DCI EVER fielding marching WW lines. Along w/ the upkeep and weather issues, it just doesn't make competitive sense. As I've said before, a corps fielding marching woodwinds would be like an NFL team replacing their specials teams w/ 110 lb. accountants. NOT gonna happen. I hope that it doesn't pass, but I agree there's a good chance it will. And if so, not that much of a biggie. I think they would be used sparingly and tastefully.

I'm sure the amp will be cranked to 11 and overpower the band on the field. Sure a hell of a lot easier to clean a few people in the pit not marching and playing to be sure.

I found a picture of the first-ever drum corps! But Brasso, I'm afraid I have some bad news for you!

C%20Fife%20and%20Drum%2028%20%2005936E.j

Edited by quietcity
  • Like 3

I swear I would so love to see a corps do for their pre show have a guy with a soprano sax dressed up to look like Kenny G.

Edited by flammaster

You mean, like Bb/F brass?

Although we will likely see some experimentation throughout the next year or two, I do not anticipate any corps utilizing substantially different instrumentation for some time. It will take experimentation and testing for The Blue Devils to feel comfortable with a change. We want to make sure that we are still achieving the same quality of sound, if not better.

If a corps decided to utilize other key instruments, the sound will be a subjective preference. It will most likely be a taste preference , just like it is now when you have two corps performing back to back and you have a opinion on which sound you prefer.

I found a picture of the first-ever drum corps! But Brasso, I'm afraid I have some bad news for you!

C%20Fife%20and%20Drum%2028%20%2005936E.j

I'm afraid I actually have more " bad news " for you, however. There are more of these " Drum Corps " now competing and exhibiting at shows along the Atlantic Coast, and with much bigger crowds in attendance, than DCI " Drum Corps" competing and exhibiting at shows with comparatively smaller audiences along the Atlantic Coast. Increasingly, with each passing day, when the public at large things of " Drum Corps ", this here is what they will be thinking of... while DCI will be increasingly viewed by the public at large ( and those inside the activity as well ) as" Marching Bands". Change happens where and when you least expect it,.. and so here we are, but you'll be a happier camper in the future as the " change " accelerates. Just learn to be be patient a bit more, thats all, as these fifes and other woodwinds like this are seemingly not that far behind, and should be available as well for your viewing and listening pleasure with the future DCI Marching Bands in your lifetime!

Edited by BRASSO

I have more " bad news " for you. There are more of these " Drum Corps " now competing and exhibiting at shows along the Atlantic Coast, and with much bigger crowds in attendance, than DCI " Drum Corps" competing and exhibiting at shows with smaller audiences along the Atlantic Coast. Increasingly, with each passing day, when the public at large things of " Drum Corps ", this here is what they will be thinking of... while DCI will be increasingly viewed by the public at large ( and those inside the activity as well ) as" Marching Bands". Change happens where and when you least expect it,.. and so here we are, and you'll be a happier camper as the " change " accelerates. Just learn to be be patient a bit more, thats all, as these fifes and other woodwinds like this are seemingly not that far behind, and should be available for your viewing and listening pleasure with the DCI Marching Bands in your lifetime!

Brasso, surprisingly, you seem to have missed my point. Drum corps, in it's current form, is the result of hundreds of years of evolution. In fact, drum corps is defined in part by its continued evolution, an evolution that is rapid or slow depending on the era, but inexorable nonetheless. There is no specific end point of drum corp's evolution, no teleology at work here.

And yet you want to freeze drum corps' progression at some arbitrary point. This is antithetical to what drum corps is and has always been. If you stop it's evolution, it will wither and die, or become a musty museum piece, like those fife and drum bands at colonial historical sites. Is this really what you want?

Drum corps keeps changing because the world it exists in keeps changing. But you prefer to stand athwart history and yell "stop!"