The Inevitable Woodwind

From what I have heard, Hopkins was heard to say in the room after the recent passing of the brass rule, words to the effect of “next year it will be woodwinds.”

What a shocker.

perc2100-

Your input is VERY helpful. I suspected many of the instruments found in a typical scholastic marching band are student-owned, and thus, student maintained. Yes, adding a woodwind section would add expense and new responsibility. It is interesting, though, as I compare this prospect back many years to the introduction of sideline pit percussion, it is clear to see how that step in the 'evolutionary chain' became more expensive and cumbersome than corps directors anticipated. Yet, it happenned.

And an incredibly smart, savvy businessman.

Not that George, or any of the other DCI directors, don't have business smarts... but Bill Cook was a notch or ten above. IMO, of course.

Without a doubt, and I don't know if any DCI directors would have the temerity to say they were a better businessman

It is interesting, though, as I compare this prospect back many years to the introduction of sideline pit percussion, it is clear to see how that step in the 'evolutionary chain' became more expensive and cumbersome than corps directors anticipated. Yet, it happenned.

That's true, but the vast majority of front ensemble equipment is pretty durable: and still sounds great made out of durable material (unlike a plastic clarinet, for example).

You're right about front ensembles becoming cumbersome with equipment, and they definitely have grown throughout the years. But I think there's a difference between lots of instruments vs lots of really delicate instrumnts

Just to recap - eliminating the entire G brass line and buying a multi key one wasn't too expensive. Amps/speakers/sound boards weren't too expensive. Wireless mic setups weren't too expensive. Concert french horns, trombones and sousaphones aren't too expensive. But flutes, clarinets and saxophones *are* going to be too expensive? :eh:

Mike

Just to recap - eliminating the entire G brass line and buying a multi key one wasn't too expensive. Amps/speakers/sound boards weren't too expensive. Wireless mic setups weren't too expensive. Concert french horns, trombones and sousaphones aren't too expensive. But flutes, clarinets and saxophones *are* going to be too expensive? :eh:

Mike

Yes; by your confused face I would recommend you go back and reread some of the posts detailing WHY woodwinds are so much more of a hassle.

No need to be snarky - I did, in fact, read your post. I just don't think that it's going to be any kind of impediment at all to corps using woodwinds, as they have not so far shown much interest in the costs of their previous changes.

Mike

Mike

None of those things required adding buses, fuel, food, uniforms, instruction, storage, insurance, etc. If the intent of those who are really pushing for this to happen is to just add a woodwind soloist or small ensemble, this is not so much a big deal. (Such could already be done by a synthesizer as it is right now.) But it's clear that their intent is to implement on a large scale, adding entire sections to the already existing DCI instrumental paradigm. And as it has been pointed out, there's maybe one or two corps who could even consider adding such an expense.

If they stick to the 150 person limit, they would have to drastically cut down the number of brass players on the field in order to maintain musical balance between brass and woodwinds. I don't see that happening.

Which would mean raising the member limit. To what? Should it be no holds barred? Let's say they cap it off at 220. Now we're talking about these drum corps, many of whom are barely able to maintain financial operations as it is, adding a whole lot in terms of operational costs to their yearly budgets. Adding buses (and FUEL), adding food, adding musical equipment, adding uniforms, possibly adding another equipment trailer to lug all this stuff around, adding instructional staff, adding volunteers, insurance costs, etc.

I realize that the prospect of woodwinds seems inevitable, but I just don't think too many corps will be willing to add that kind of expense. And sponsorship won't take care of it all. If DCI somehow manages to secure a circuit-wide deal with a transportation company who will supply an entire fleet of quality buses to every corps, then maybe I could see it happening. But I don't see that taking place.

Wouldn't this also add a bus full of $3,000.00 tour fees as well?

Wouldn't this also add a bus full of $3,000.00 tour fees as well?

Yes, but that $3,000 doesn't cover the cost of those bus full of kids. Tuition does not even cover 50% of the cost of participation. So where is the other $150,000+ per year going to come from (additional 50 kids at $3,000 each - a number that is too low)? There will be no increase in performance fees. Souvenir sales might increase, but they will not increase enough to offset the cost increase. Are you going to open your check book and fund the difference?