Best ballads?

Too many to count. But the one I'm still waiting to hear (most probably done by Troop, since it would best fit into their "style"):

The Water Is Wide/Shenandoah. One piece. Same time. I've heard them done many times in choral music arrangements. At the very least, James Taylor fans should love it.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what exactly counts as a ballad here. If you mean a soft, slow and dreamy piece of music, I nominate SCV's 1999 rendition of Samuel Barber's Symphony #1, third movement. I find it stunning every time I hear or watch it.

Carolina Crown's 2007 show Triple Crown had great soft sections. Still one of my favorite shows from them.

My choice hands down numero ono is Brigadiers - First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

Cadets '98 - Canterbury Chorale

1991 had some good ones. Of mention:

Cadets-- Copland piece-Love it. (Just can't remember what it's called)

Blue Devils - 2nd movement of Bela and Bartok in Bflat? I know Boo mentioned this ballad by name in his article about the 1991 show. There is a recording of it on YouTube sans percussion which is phenomenol.

Wish it could make a comeback in a near future Blue Devils show.

Others:

SCV 2011- The Eternal Knot. Bookmarked the YouTube video of them warming up with this piece in some guys yard in West Chester.

Blue Devils- Anything they have done from Hank Levy over the years. 1984's ballad with the backfield soprano solo at the end...owns. Pegasus from any year, and 1993's second movement of that show are standouts.

Bluecoats 2002 and Cadets 2005- "Dancer in the Dark"- Just a great piece- fit the two shows they were a part of perfectly.

1993 Cadets - Hymnsong for Phillip Bliss- The shot of the mellophones during this piece that was captured at Finals is classic. These days, I go to the lot to see if The Cadets will play it in warm ups.

Phantom Regiment 2006- "Ave Maria" - (San Francisco Renegades as well) - The ending of this piece, into the final chord is so simple- but exquisite.

Phantom Regiment 1993-" Fire of Eternal Glory"

Edited by Dmlkmen